Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lasagna freezing - to pre cook or not ?

• 09-10-2019 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭

There is quite a lot of work to gathering all ingredients and cooking it so I’m thinking of freezing a % of my efforts to test.

If uncooked - I’m thinking that the meat Sauce has to be cooked and the rest is raw?

https://www.wikihow.com/Freeze-Lasagna

Anyone any experience of freezing?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I don't have any experience freezing lasange, but yes, logically you would need to cook the meat sauce in order to assemble the lasange to put into the freezer.

Perhaps someone else can advise about the best results for freezing baked vs unbaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would cook it completely first, not sure it would turn out too great with some of cooked and some of it not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Cook it all and then freeze it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I would always freeze my lasagne cooked, defrost it naturally then microwave it to eat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cook the lot, especially if intending to microwave it

If for some reason you do go for partially done the meat sauce absolutely must be cooked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm going to go against the concensus here. If you plan to use it whole after freezing, why cook it twice?
    I'd assemble it as normal (meat sauce cooked), then instead of putting it in the oven, put it in the freezer. Defrost and cook as normal in the oven.
    If you want to freeze it in cut portions, then I would cook before freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

What I do is just make a batch of the meat sauce cooked and freeze that.
    Then when I want to make the lasagne I defrost that (either take it out in mornign and leave in fridge or as is more normal forget to take it out and have to defrost in the microwave or on the hob in the evening) and make up the lasagne.
    I'll admit I use jarred white sauce but see not reason you couldn't make that in advance and freeze it separately if you really wanted.
    So the lasagne is freshly made and cooked but doesn't take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Cook the pasta and bechamel bit leave the mince raw in the tomato sauce. Always works out the best for me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I cook and bake the lot. Cut one slice out for this evening(the toastiest topped one) and let it all go cold. When cold it's easier to slice and portion. Then freeze and microwave/bake as needed. Works for meat or veggie lasagnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'm going to go against the concensus here. If you plan to use it whole after freezing, why cook it twice?
    I'd assemble it as normal (meat sauce cooked), then instead of putting it in the oven, put it in the freezer. Defrost and cook as normal in the oven.
    If you want to freeze it in cut portions, then I would cook before freezing.

Would agree with this, cooking it twice is best avoided if possible as you risk drying it out. Also I find pasta that is cooked, frozen and then reheated can be stodgy and harder than pasta freshly cooked.. If you intend to consume all of the portions in one go (like for a dinner party) then cooking the ragu and then assembling the lasagne uncooked before freezing it whole until needed is a good way to go.

If you've time allow the cooked ragu to sit and meld in the fridge for 24 hours, this will intensify the flavour and then you can assemble the rest of the lasagne uncooked and freeze it.

• Advertisement

Cook the pasta and bechamel bit leave the mince raw in the tomato sauce. Always works out the best for me.

That is a very odd way to make lasagne.
    What's the reasoning behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

That is a very odd way to make lasagne.
    What's the reasoning behind it?

In my experience its best to let the meat cook slowly from frozen raw to cooked as the juices entangle in the tomato sauce better.

In my experience its best to let the meat cook slowly from frozen raw to cooked as the juices entangle in the tomato sauce better.

I'm still trying to get my head around this.
    You just mix raw mince with tomato sauce, make the lasagne, freeze it and reheat it from frozen??
    What else goes in your sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭batman1

Cook the Ragu and freeze that only. Defrost and assemble the lasagne and bake o the day you are using it.

It takes 5 mins to make a beschemel sauce and another 5 to assemble

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Frozen raw too cooked will take a lot more time.

Doesn't sit right with me, too not too mention the risk of undercooking the raw meat while the rest is ready.

I am also of opinion of freezing when it's ready and then defrost and heat up, rather than cooking any part of it at later stage. The safest option.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

batman1 wrote: »
    Cook the Ragu and freeze that only. Defrost and assemble the lasagne and bake o the day you are using it.

It takes 5 mins to make a beschemel sauce and another 5 to assemble

I’d say that conflicts with my idea of why people freeze lasagne.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d say that conflicts with my idea of why people freeze lasagne.

Yeah, it's like doing it twice :)

Freeze the ready to eat lasagne, defrost and heat up makes much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Many years since i made lasagne but buy shop bought one now and find if i use the micro it comes out runny,but stick in a pyrex dish and use my halogen oven 15mins to give a lovely crispy top.

Advertisement