Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should nuts in school be banned for the small % who have "nut allergies"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

mikeecho wrote: »
    There was no nut allergies in the 80s primary schools.

If there was.. they all died, and I never saw them after 1.30pm
    So they don't and never existed... even though they do?

Not being aware of them in the 80s - so? Doesn't change the fact that they're real and can kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

screamer wrote: »
    And also, with each reoccurrence the anaphylactic reaction is stronger, so the more attacks you have the more likely you’ll be to die.
    It’s horrendous and to inflict that on a child so another can scoff Nutella sandwiches beggars belief

This is what I was trying to say earlier , schools and preschools can only claim to be nut free but it's just that it's just a claim like a promotion oh look were nutfree ,

I've met with principals and preschool managers who all say the same you cannot guarantee what kids eat for breakfast or going to school including cereal bars and Nutella on bread /toast/pancakes ,

It's like trying to say a school or preschool is germ and bacteria free.

Are EpiPens only something like 50% effective when administered

• Registered Users Posts: 19,738 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Blaming the chemist is absolutely appalling. Unless you work as a chemist, you can't know what you'd do in that situation. It's a case of can't not won't.

As if the chemist would be ok with her dying.

It's not simply a matter of "refused to have over" as if it was vindictive.

Why not have an epi-pen handy at all times? Why eat at a restaurant which serves food containing peanuts? On the threads about it here - utter witch hunts of the poor chemist - woe betide people who asked those questions even though they are valid.

It's not a case of can't. You are putting strict adherence to a rule on an ethical plane above saving a life. No Chemist is going to be prosecuted for ignoring a rule and saving a child's life.

Nice victim blaming there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

screamer wrote: »
    And also, with each reoccurrence the anaphylactic reaction is stronger, so the more attacks you have the more likely you’ll be to die.
    It’s horrendous and to inflict that on a child so another can scoff Nutella sandwiches beggars belief

I honestly didn't know that it got worse each time, scary as ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Gatling wrote: »
    Are EpiPens only something like 50% effective when administered

Some people in anaphylaxis need a second dose.

Would really recommend basic CPR and first aid training for all who can, you just never know when you might need it, it's time we'll spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

There is no nuts policy in our school. There is also healthy eating policy so nutella sandwiches wouldn't be exactly the best option. Neither of mine ever complained about it or felt in any way deprived.

It's one meal of the day, they can still eat nuts for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Those circumstances could be death. Damn straight those parents should bulldoze. Who cares if it’s a rare condition if it’s deadly? :confused: Does the rareness offset the high risk of fatality? What’s the relevance?

In that case they wouldn’t let their kids out the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

meeeeh wrote: »
    There is no nuts policy in our school. There is also healthy eating policy so nutella sandwiches wouldn't be exactly the best option. Neither of mine ever complained about it or felt in any way deprived.

It's one meal of the day, they can still eat nuts for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Nutella and peanut butter is rotten also, the lumpy peanut butter gives me the shudders.

My daughter has autism and she loves Nutella, it's the only thing she will have on bread and we don't have an issue not giving it to her.

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's not a case of can't. You are putting strict adherence to a rule on an ethical plane above saving a life. No Chemist is going to be prosecuted for ignoring a rule and saving a child's life.

Nice victim blaming there.
    That was one of the lines people enjoyed resorting to in the threads I mentioned. Victim blaming for asking valid (but inconvenient to some) questions.

To view the chemist as more to blame is mob mentality gone insane. We weren't there so we don't know what exactly what things were like for the chemist. What we do know is that the choice was made to eat at a restaurant that serves dishes containing peanuts without carrying an epi-pen, but don't say that - only blame the chemist? That's extraordinary. Blame culture gone totally mad.

Of course it's a tragedy, of course nobody thinks it was deserved (simply stating facts still does not mean that) but to thrust that tragedy on the chemist - and not acknowledge the other vital factors - is absolutely rotten.

In that case they wouldn’t let their kids out the front door.
    Yeah if you see a child experiencing anaphylactic shock - the inability to breathe, the vomiting, the fits... you'll change your tune fast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

nice

literally the question asked, and literally the point made, were about where the intersection of dangerous/sensitive conditions and the accommodations to be made by the wider population sit- and the assertion that the balance has in recent years advanced rapidly in favour of the individual

if its handy enough to eradicate risk to an acceptable degree then thats wonderful, the specific instance isnt a problem but therefore not a very interesting question

but at what stage not?

now kindly climb out of my ****in throat thanks

I’m not concerned with being nice, to be honest.

If somebody pouts because a ban is put in place to help lower the very real risk of death to somebody else, they are nothing short of a self-absorbed cunt. That’s the reality. What they would do if they had to deal with actual problems, I don’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I'm after reading all 15 pages of this and I am amazed at the ignorance of some people. Words such as bulldozer parents who have the audacity to ban nuts at school in order to keep their child safe. Other commenting on what rubbish it is as how are they going to control the world.

Well these parents are right and if your child had an issue regardless if it was an allergy, another medical condition or condition of any sort that would prevent them reaching their potential, you would go to the ends of the earth to help them no matter what. The schools are happy to oblige as they want to make the environment as safe as is possible for all children attending.

The world is a big place, but the school is a place their son or daughter attend for a big part of their daily life and is easily controlled. The parents meet with the principal, explain the situation and the school team come together to ensure that it is adhered to.

Information is shared among the staff about children with medical conditions so they know who to watch out for. this is regardless if it is an allergy or medical condition such as CF, nut allergy, egg allergy, another allergy, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy or any other condition that could affect the child in school. the parents can speak to the staff if they wish and medical experts have come into the school to speak to all staff about the relevant condition.

The children are also told of the importance of not bringing in certain foods to prevent a reaction. They are repeatedly told from Junior infants onward not to bring in the prohibited food and will either tell you themselves they have it or another child will. They are also encouraged not to swap lunches and a teacher is in the room as they eat watching and ensuring none of this happens.

One person commented on bullies adapting to using it to bully the child, that in my experience never happens. The children are well educated as to the dangers and are protective of the children with health issues. Children occasionally have come to school with peanut butter or choc spread on their sandwiches and tell the teacher before eating them. The parent is rang to provide alternative lunch or the teacher will provide it if parent cant. This has happened as it is very rare due to the fact the school community of parents are kept aware of allergies within the school and how to avoid problems and generally go along with it thankfully. No parent wants to hear of their child's friend dying through exposure to an allergen

As regards what a child eats prior to school, schools cannot control that but schools can control what is brought in to the classroom to minimize the effect.

Also the comments about it not existing in the 70s and 80s it did but wasn't diagnosed as an allergy, reactions were put down as anaphylaxis shock cause unknown. it is through improved medical research and technology that they are now spotted earlier and in more numbers. CF has been around for decades but was only officially given a name in the early 70s. Prior to that CF deaths occurred but weren't recorded as such, some were put down as pneumonia.

Also some people commenting its caused by parents mollycoddling their children well I know a number of adults born in 60s and 70s who ate lots of nuts and are now carrying epipens as they developed an allergy as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

i think that there's been a huge move towards everyone in a wider group having to swerve around the needs (and often "needs") of small minorities.

there is a point where practicalities seem to have gone out the window for the sake of inclusion at any cost.

nut allergies are obviously potentially very serious, but if one child from many has such a sensitive condition is there a case that they have to be educated separately rather than everyone else making accommodation?

Why should they be educated separately?

All that is being asked is not to include a certain item of food in a child's lunchbox.

As it is many schools have a healthy eating policy so chocolate and crisps are banned, I genuinely don't see the difference in adding nuts to the list.....yes I appreciate nuts are healthy but also can be deadly.

Genuine question how many people eat nuts on a daily basis?

It's not like Bread is being banned! There are plenty of other options to put in your kids lunchbox.

This isn't some hippy dippy nanny state policy, the consequences are very real.

Blaming the chemist is absolutely appalling. Unless you work as a chemist, you can't know what you'd do in that situation. It's a case of can't not won't.

As if the chemist would be ok with her dying.

It's not simply a matter of "refused to hand over" as if it was vindictive.

Why not have an epi-pen handy at all times? Why eat at a restaurant which serves food containing peanuts? On the threads about it here - utter witch hunts of the poor chemist - woe betide people who asked those questions even though they are valid.

But it is quite absurd to think that something that could had saved this girl’s life was mere feet away, isn’t it?

But it is quite absurd to think that something that could had saved this girl’s life was mere feet away, isn’t it?
    It is. And perhaps the chemist shares some accountability. I simply can't believe they just said "Nope, next!" which is what so many enjoy believing (I mean really really enjoy it) and the fact that they didn't have a wrongful death case to answer to, but maybe they could simply have used better judgment. Don't know for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

The attitude here seems to be that banning nuts is some sort of mollycoddling maneuver done by helicopter over-zealous parents.

The reality is children could die from these allergic reactions, surely anything to stop a child from suffering or dying should be avoided and limited at all costs?!

It’s not as if ignoring these allergies as if they are some sort of behavioral issue will make them go away. They won’t. It just isn’t worth the risk.

Talk of ‘there were no allergies in my day and everyone was grand’ is irrelevant. Just because they were less common before doesn’t mean we can pretend they aren’t a concern now.
    They are here and steps need to be taken to ensure the safety of these vulnerable kids who suffer from them.

Yeah an allergic reaction to peanuts could cause death (and there is a case where it happened being mentioned on this thread) - how is it even up for debate? :confused:

Imagine actually saying "This potentially fatal condition is nothing to worry about because it didn't happen to anyone I know, something something nanny state"! Barmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

cnocbui wrote: »
    The selfishness lies with the parents of the allergy suffererers. Plane loads of people and schools full of hundreds are all expected to cater to their child instead of them simply having their child wear a face mask.

Are you actually for real?

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    All this is so true , been there . And in addition you have post traumatic stress and a terror of it happening again . Its a dreadful terror that can cause anxiety and a fear inside .
    The ignorance from some posters here is astonishing . But my guess is some are simply looking for attention .

Been there too. Find the lack of understanding and total ignorance on this thread utterly astonishing and quite worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

wakka12 wrote: »
    Are you trying to say nut allergies dont exist or something?
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45731201
    Do you not remember the story of the teenage girl in England who died because of an allergic reaction to a pret a manger sandwich that didnt properly label it's ingredients?

'Her father, Nadim Ednan-Laperouse, said his daughter foamed at the mouth and couldn’t breathe, according to Sky News. The symptoms persisted though Nadim administered two EpiPen shots to Natasha and a doctor performed CPR for the rest of the flight, he said.'

I dont know how you could live with yourself for even allowing the possibility of this happening to a schoolmate of your child just so they can eat some nuts

Question still remains to be answered though. Why nobody years ago? Why is this thing popping up in a single generation. Bit weird. I don't get it at all. If you are descended from European hunter gatherers, nuts were a key part of their diet, especially hazel here in Ireland. If you have Euro farmer blood in you then I have no idea how you could be lactose intolerant. Our people have herded cattle and other livestock that produce milk and consumed the output for literally millennia. For either 'allergy' to be the case for an Irish kid they would have to be an absolute sideshow.
    Foreigners get an out on this.

• Advertisement

topper75 wrote: »
    Question still remains to be answered though. Why nobody years ago? Why is this thing popping up in a single generation. Bit weird. I don't get it at all. If you are descended from European hunter gatherers, nuts were a key part of their diet, especially hazel here in Ireland. If you have Euro farmer blood in you then I have no idea how you could be lactose intolerant. Our people have herded cattle and other livestock that produce milk and consumed the output for literally millennia. For either 'allergy' to be the case for an Irish kid they would have to be an absolute sideshow.

What are you talking about?

What are the quote marks about? These allergies do exist. I don't know why we didn't hear about them as much years ago but what is the actual point people are trying to make when they keep saying that? It doesn't change that they exist and are potentially fatal so let's take whatever measures are necessary.

Or don't and risk the life of someone with a peanut allergy.

:confused:

Not a new thing. I was born in early 70's and have a food allergy. I carry two EpiPens with me and have done since I was 12 or 13. It was my parents responsibility before that.

Yeah an allergic reaction to peanuts could cause death (and there is a case where it happened being mentioned on this thread) - how is it even up for debate? :confused:

Imagine actually saying "This potentially fatal condition is nothing to worry about because it didn't happen to anyone I know, something something nanny state"! Barmy!

One is definitely a troll. Probably more but one for sure.

Probably some issues with authority from a few others.

I would be shocked if any parent really had an issue with this.

Imagine finding out a child in your child's class died because of the lunch you gave your child.

Some parent is picking out a white coffin because of the lunch you gave your child.

Your own child will probably be blamed and ostracised because of the lunch you gave your child.

Your own child will most likely carry the burden of their friends death because of the lunch you gave your child.

Is giving your child nuts really that important to you, that you'd risk the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It isn't actually weird at all. To work with what you have used above, stone age times survival of the fittest, those with allergy died those who hadn't an allergy didn't. Maybe before they died they had kids passed it on, maybe they had a reaction that wasn't bad enough to die.

There is a thing called DNA it sometimes gets ****ed up and causes all ranges of ****ed up things including allergies to lactose and nuts. In previous years medical technology wasn't as developed to catch an allergy it was put down to other things, some people had a reaction lived through others died and was reported as death cause unknown or anaphylatic shock cause unknown.

Some comments are just stupid and short sighted though. One of them came from one of the biggest "speaking as a parent" types on After Hours.

**** other people's kids though, eh?

Sensationalism at its worst.

What are the quote marks about? These allergies do exist. I don't know why we didn't hear about them as much years ago but what is the actual point people are trying to make when they keep saying that? It doesn't change that they exist and are potentially fatal so let's take whatever measures are necessary.

Or don't and risk the life of someone with a peanut allergy.

:confused:

We probably didn't hear of them as we were kids and our world was playing with our friends and toys.

Unless someone with an allergy was in our class it wouldn't have been on our radar.

Lunch most likely consisted of ham and cheese sandwiches and an apple. Food in the 70s and 80s was a grim affair.

Gatling wrote: »
    Sensationalism at its worst.

Ok, two are definitely trolls...happy now?

There's a big bowl of nuts in the corner waiting for you :)

• Advertisement

Ok, two are definitely trolls...happy now?

That nonsense you put up looking for thanks and likes .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement