Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

_Brian wrote: »
    policy to be directed by a collection of whacko alarmists with no scientific or governance knowledge or experience. The result would be a catastrophe of gigantic proportions with all sorts of screwball policies enabled to drive us back a century.

...just like what happened with the abortion referendum?

or perhaps you'd have a group of people listening to all sides, looking at all the data, all the interpretations of that data, and proposing policies on the basis of that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

A citizens assembly might be a good idea if they looked at the cost associated with climate change from a day to day perspective.

The government of the day really shouldn't need a citizens assembly as they should be able to draw up a conclusive plan that drives the right behaviour and punishs the bad behaviour.

I would say a big problem for this government in doing so is the fact their heartland traditionally would be farmers and the agri business in Ireland is a bit contributor to the problem.

Im fairness Brian people on here dont want to listen to scientists either

People not on boards also don't want to listen to it, as I said we have a solar farm looking to go into our local community. I am not sure if its a cash grab or people believe in scaremongering crackpot science theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

Global Disaster in 11 years?

Where have we heard that before?

1989-un-predicts-disaster-if-global-warming-unchecked.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah replace alarmist with denialist and you've pretty much got this thread and the others like it on Boards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

moonage wrote: »
    Global Disaster in 11 years?

Where have we heard that before?

1989-un-predicts-disaster-if-global-warming-unchecked.jpg

We have of course but a lot of these climate protestors were barely out of daddies ballsack or able to contemplate such matters in the year 1989, never mind 2000’s. We all remember “the hole in the ozone” that was going to kill us all yeah? Same bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/kiribati/9127576/Entire-nation-of-Kiribati-to-be-relocated-over-rising-sea-level-threat.html

Some of Kiribati's 32 pancake-flat coral atolls, which straddle the equator over 1,350,000 square miles of ocean, are already disappearing beneath the waves.

Most of its 113,000 people are crammed on to Tarawa, the administrative centre, a chain of islets which curve in a horseshoe shape around a lagoon.

"This is the last resort, there's no way out of this one," Mr Tong said.

"Our people will have to move as the tides have reached our homes and villages."

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We have of course but a lot of these climate protestors were barely out of daddies ballsack or able to contemplate such matters in the year 1989, never mind 2000’s. We all remember “the hole in the ozone” that was going to kill us all yeah? Same bull****
    TBF they did strike a deal on the ozone layer and addressing CFCs was a good thing. The hole is at its smallest in 30 years this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

I don't necessarily disagree with what 'the scientists' are saying. But it must be borne in mind that all these scientists have a vested interest. Climate change has given them all well-paid jobs and careers. It also allows them to go on frequent junkets to exotic locations. The annual UN jamboree, COP25, is taking place in Santiago this year and the official website proudly announces that there will be 25000 official delegates flying in from every country in the world. Surely, if they had any regard for their carbon footprint, they could do this type of event by video links?
    We have learned in the past that when people, scientists or not, have a vested interest, anything they say may have some truth, or be partially true, but will almost certainly not be the whole truth.
    I will listen to any evidence from any source but I will always ask whoever is telling me if they have a beneficial interest such as the necessity for me and everyone else to believe them or else they might be out of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Calhoun wrote: »
    A citizens assembly might be a good idea if they looked at the cost associated with climate change from a day to day perspective.
    The government of the day really shouldn't need a citizens assembly as they should be able to draw up a conclusive plan that drives the right behaviour and punishs the bad behaviour.
    I would say a big problem for this government in doing so is the fact their heartland traditionally would be farmers and the agri business in Ireland is a bit contributor to the problem.

Imo a citizens assembly would not have the expertise to quantify costs of climate change. How to drive good vs bad behaviour? Even more punitive taxes? Fines? Or ?

And believe it or not the single biggest contributor to greenhouse gas emissions - at approx 60- 70 % of all emissions - is fossil fuel use in the transport and energy sectors.

Ireland emissions relating to agriculture are predicated on our production of agricultural products for export. Bizarrely even though we are a member of the EU - the EU fine us for the resulting emissions even though the bulk of that produce is consumed within the EU. This negative offshoring of emissions by other EU countries is a significant and inequitable issue especially considering that Ireland has been acknowledged by the same EU as a low carbon model of production due to the amount of grassland available for agriculture. I'd also question comparing the production of food with the use of fossil fuels for things such as entertainment, leisure facilities and non essential means of transport etc.

Sure Id agree agriculture can seek the means to become less enegy intensive and that should also be good for farmers where overhead costs are decreased. But if we dont look after our own food security and economy - no one else will...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Scientists have a varied opinion on the response required. Listening only to the ones calling for extreme action, or worse listening to people interpreting the science as only needing extreme actions not a rational approach.

I won’t speak for others but I’ve never denied climate change or the need for action. I just don’t want that action directed by the extremists who think that abandonment of modern society is the only solution.

I’ve saod before, ER and their ilk are destroying the climate change conversation for more reasoned people by turning the general public against discussion because everyone interested in protecting the climate and environment will be associated with the nutjob brigade set on a regressive society.
    It was the leader of ER Dublin I heard calling for us to move away from being an industrialised nation and to intentionally plan for regressive gdp and growth in the country, this is the planning of the insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Well all the people here saying overpopulation is the real issue on here know that reducing our pop would slow the economy and growth in ireland too? Im pretty sure scientists on a forum would say we need to reduce the number of cattle we have for a cleaner country and more biodiversity but posters here want to keep growing that industry too. It kinda has to stop eventually.

Well all the people here saying overpopulation is the real issue on here know that reducing our pop would slow the economy and growth in ireland too? Im pretty sure scientists on a forum would say we need to reduce the number of cattle we have for a cleaner country and more biodiversity but posters here want to keep growing that industry too. It kinda has to stop eventually.

Human population is showing signs of regulation in growth.

Intensive animal farming needs scaled back no doubt, as a farmer I can see that and do not in any way support caged or permanently housed animal farming.

Extensive cattle farming is a positive influence on environment and biodiversity, that’s where my interest lies. Less animals farmed but in more natural conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Calhoun wrote: »

I was wondering when the "blame the farmers" line that is now one of the mantras of the modern left green environmentally friendly elite would be thrown out there. :rolleyes:

As the Dutch farmers quite eloquently spelt out in their recent very successful protest "No Farmers No Food".

Of all the stupid ideas, the one gathering most steam in the green environmentalists heads is that farming in Europe should be sacrificed to supposedly save the planet.
    No realisation that the food has to come from somewhere and more than likely it will be from somewhere with sweet FA environmental controls.

Also we have morons quite happy to destroy our only true indigenous industry.

But what do your expect from a bunch of muppets that have prominent members that actually think we can reintroduce wolves into this country. :rolleyes:

Human population is showing signs of regulation in growth.

Intensive animal farming needs scaled back no doubt, as a farmer I can see that and do not in any way support caged or permanently housed animal farming.

Extensive cattle farming is a positive influence on environment and biodiversity, that’s where my interest lies. Less animals farmed but in more natural conditions

Well i cant see how it could possible be good for the environment but we will never agree on that.

NIMAN wrote: »
    .... As they all get cars from parts of Ireland to the protests.

One of these folk was asked a few weeks back about how they were getting from Cork to protest, and they said in a car, but that there'd be 5 of them in it.

Right, that makes it ok then?

Well car pooling is something that should be encouraged, fair play to them for setting a good example!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Well i cant see how it could possible be good for the environment but we will never agree on that.

Then you really need to educate yourself on the environmental benefits of a grass based system and what it can do for carbon and the environment

jmayo wrote: »
    I was wondering when the "blame the farmers" line that is now one of the mantras of the modern left green environmentally friendly elite would be thrown out there. :rolleyes:

As the Dutch farmers quite eloquently spelt out in their recent very successful protest "No Farmers No Food".

Of all the stupid ideas, the one gathering most steam in the green environmentalists heads is that farming in Europe should be sacrificed to supposedly save the planet.
    No realisation that the food has to come from somewhere and more than likely it will be from somewhere with sweet FA environmental controls.

But what do your expect from a bunch of muppets that have prominent members that actually think we can reintroduce wolves into this country. :rolleyes:

Saw a great quote from a US based farmer.
    An Airbus A380 full tank of fuel each day would power all the farm machinery on his 4000Acre farm for 11 years.
    But hey, let’s not knock the cheap flights.

Because you are unable to understand something is in no way related to it’s truth. None so blind as those that won’t see.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Depends what you want to prioritise. For example you want a grossly inflated public service and overpaid politicians or do you want food security and a decent export economy? Eitherway food production and especially low input - low food miles food production should take precedence over the massive amounts of greenhouse gas emissions produced as a result of fossil fuel use in the energy and transport sectors.

What I do see promoted by a few is a daft notion that we should get rid of indiginous agriculture because they don't like cows, or the countryside or indeed anyone living there.

I'd agree that people living on cloud cuckoo land ideas needs to stop for sure. I'm sure the scientists would be in agreement with that.

• Advertisement

Saw a great quote from a US based farmer.
    An Airbus A380 full tank of fuel each day would power all the farm machinery on his 4000Acre farm for 11 years.
    But hey, let’s not knock the cheap flights.

Whataboutery really. We all need to eat less meat and fly less, I say this as someone flying home tomorrow.

Whataboutery really. We all need to eat less meat and fly less, I say this as someone flying home tomorrow.

No, majority of flights are unnecessary leisure stuff.

Farming is about feeding people and keeping them alive.

No, majority of flights are unnecessary leisure stuff.

Farming is about feeding people and keeping them alive.

Well we don't all need beef and dairy to stay alive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I don't necessarily disagree with what 'the scientists' are saying. But it must be borne in mind that all these scientists have a vested interest. Climate change has given them all well-paid jobs and careers. It also allows them to go on frequent junkets to exotic locations. The annual UN jamboree, COP25, is taking place in Santiago this year and the official website proudly announces that there will be 25000 official delegates flying in from every country in the world. Surely, if they had any regard for their carbon footprint, they could do this type of event by video links?
    We have learned in the past that when people, scientists or not, have a vested interest, anything they say may have some truth, or be partially true, but will almost certainly not be the whole truth.
    I will listen to any evidence from any source but I will always ask whoever is telling me if they have a beneficial interest such as the necessity for me and everyone else to believe them or else they might be out of a job.

Well paid? Not particularly considering the amount of education and expertise that you have. The vast majority of scientists would make far more money in the private sector working for the emission industries, guaranteed. Met Eireann were advertising a position there recently where the applicant should preferably have a PhD, so around 8-10 years of high level education and they were offering around 35,000 euro in return for the first year, in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The cheap on a whim frivolous flights have had their innings. Tax the airport the carriers and the tickets to the hilt. And use the taxation to look into zero Carbon innovations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Could you not have walked or cycled to Zurich? There is a ferry from Cork to France so you had no excuse. You should fast for a couple of weeks after your arrival home to settle your debt with mother earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

CFCs

jmayo wrote: »

Well I never actually said destroy or wreck the farming business and if we are to tackle climate change we can have no sacred cows. I see your a farmer actually/grew up on one so I now understand why you were waiting on this one.

Look at the harm that pesticides do to the local environment and particularly how it contributes to food stock.

You either want change on a societal level or you don't. Nothing worse than the nut bags who are borderline climate deniers and only want to do something as long as its not their hobby horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

If you want to help the environment eat local seasonal food.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Well car pooling is something that should be encouraged, fair play to them for setting a good example!
    Do you know how many cars a cruise ship equals for carbon emissions.

Advertisement