Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTICE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 TheLawGuy

Contract

Did the Consumer Rights Regulations 2013 replace the Distance selling directive and Contracts negotiated away from Business Premises directive? My manual is all over the place.

Basically what im asking is this the consumer protection legislation that I need to know?

1. Sale of Goods Act 1893/Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980
    2. Unfair Contract Terms Regulations 1995.
    3. The Consumer Rights Regulations 2013.

Apologies for confusing anyone and thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Amanda226

Hey, the City Colleges night before lecture advised just to pick three and talk about them and let one of them be fundamental rights which will fill up a lot! He advised not to do direct effect since that will prob be a problem question so you don’t want repeating yourself, hope that helps!
    EU

Considering Fundamental Rights came up last sitting, I assume if Gen Principles are coming up again it will be in a question concerning an overview of all of the Gen Principles... any advice on how to approach this kind of question considering Fundamental Rights takes up such a substantial portion?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

Amanda226 wrote: »
    Hey, the City Colleges night before lecture advised just to pick three and talk about them and let one of them be fundamental rights which will fill up a lot! He advised not to do direct effect since that will prob be a problem question so you don’t want repeating yourself, hope that helps!

Very helpful many many thanks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭LawGirl3434

Thank you!!! My god will this hell ever end?!

no :(

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭JCormac

What’s more important to learn for EU - citizenship or equality? Not sure what to do. Also can I leave out institutions as it came up last sitting.

Citizenship definitely, it'll probably be mixed with a FMW question.

Would love a second opinion regarding Institutions too as relying on a Democratic deficit essay Q to come up. Such a gamble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭rightytighty

I think Q2 was constructive trusts, but I'd say we need to blend the case law and answer it.

How do you mean? I answered as PE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

TheLawGuy wrote: »
    Contract

Did the Consumer Rights Regulations 2013 replace the Distance selling directive and Contracts negotiated away from Business Premises directive? My manual is all over the place.

Basically what im asking is this the consumer protection legislation that I need to know?

Yeah that replaced the old directives I think.

They’re the only ones I have anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28 legaltraineex

According to Examiner report for same question on previous paper it is just PE.

JCormac wrote: »

Would love a second opinion regarding Institutions too as relying on a Democratic deficit essay Q to come up. Such a gamble.

Haven’t seen an essay on the democratic deficit from this examiner. Institutions just came up so I don’t know if would be up again.

If that were the case for an essay on DD, would you just talk through institutions, Lisbon, co decision, removing comitology, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭HappyKitten62

Thank you! Thankfully it’s not too bad and mostly in the legislation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rainbow25

Would anyone happen to have a copy of the October 2018 EU paper? Or any recent sample answers? So unsure how to structure my answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CMUL

Does anyone have a case for mutual exchange of promises is good consideration?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

TheLawGuy wrote: »
    Contract

Yes Doorstop and Distance Selling are repealed by the newer directive you can check it out here

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32011L0083

There is also an ADR directive which I mentioned you can throw it in to show off ofc it aint a legal remedy but shows you actually know consumer law well.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/live-work-travel-eu/consumers/resolve-your-consumer-complaint/alternative-dispute-resolution-consumers_en

I think I'm at the freak out stage with EU law it is all merging into one mess at this point in my brain. Judical review comes up pretty frequently right?

Haven’t seen an essay on the democratic deficit from this examiner. Institutions just came up so I don’t know if would be up again.

If that were the case for an essay on DD, would you just talk through institutions, Lisbon, co decision, removing comitology, etc?

He asked about DD March & October 2017, according to his report anyway!

I was under the impression that Institutions were regular enough (besides March and Oct 2018) so was hoping I could wing it, as General Principles just aren't going down well at all.

For addressing DD, personally I'd focus on the Parliament and Co-Decision, but I barely know the topic at this stage, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He asked about DD March & October 2017, according to his report anyway!

I was under the impression that Institutions were regular enough (besides March and Oct 2018) so was hoping I could wing it, as General Principles just aren't going down well at all.

For addressing DD, personally I'd focus on the Parliament and Co-Decision, but I barely know the topic at this stage, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean looking at the papers he only ever asks it with institutions, would be very very surprised to see it as a stand alone essay, don’t think it’s ever come up.

This is what stresses me in that he asks it with regards to commission and parliament and sometimes council too I think. Says on the front page all carry equal marks, so how do you divide up the co decision procedure bit between parliament and council? Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SwD

CMUL wrote: »
    Does anyone have a case for mutual exchange of promises is good consideration?

Dunlop v selfridge

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Goodluck tomorrow everyone! Really hope I can rote learn quite a bit in the next few hours. So so draining. Equity did not go well is an understatement so a nice contract tomorrow would lift the spirits!

Daly29 wrote: »
    Goodluck tomorrow everyone! Really hope I can rote learn quite a bit in the next few hours. So so draining. Equity did not go well is an understatement so a nice contract tomorrow would lift the spirits!

I don't know how you're doing it, fair play, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Hamerzan Sickles

Daly29 wrote: »

So much to learn in so little time. This will be my third in a row this week. At this point I hope I'm just absorbing information by observational osmosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

EU

I am not doing competition law but starting to doubt myself. Anyone thinks is a definite to come up on Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Olliepollie

20082014 wrote: »
    EU

I am not doing competition law but starting to doubt myself. Anyone thinks is a definite to come up on Thursday?

I'm not doing it either but I would be highly surprised if it didnt come up as I believe it didnt appear on the last sitting's paper (though I may be wrong).

But for me it was just too long to try and learn it all!

I'm sticking with
    Institutions
    Gen Principles
    Direct Effect
    Judicial review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movement of Goods
    Citizenship
    Equality

I know that's leaving me wicked short but there's just no room in my head for anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 9 saphiradragon

Yeah, prop estoppel within constructive trust - to resolve the shield/sword dilemma... But since all the case law is the same, I hope we're fine!

According to Examiner report for same question on previous paper it is just PE.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 starfishxxo

I'm not doing it either but I would be highly surprised if it didnt come up as I believe it didnt appear on the last sitting's paper (though I may be wrong).

I'm sticking with
    Institutions
    Gen Principles
    Direct Effect
    Judicial review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movement of Goods
    Citizenship
    Equality

I know that's leaving me wicked short but there's just no room in my head for anything else

Same. Competition is likely to come up, but think my time is best spent knowing my other topics well rather than trying to grapple with competition at this late stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

What's the latest time I can hand in legislation tomorrow for EU law on Thursday?

I mean looking at the papers he only ever asks it with institutions, would be very very surprised to see it as a stand alone essay, don’t think it’s ever come up.

This is what stresses me in that he asks it with regards to commission and parliament and sometimes council too I think. Says on the front page all carry equal marks, so how do you divide up the co decision procedure bit between parliament and council? Ugh

Yeah, it's a totally mixed bag.

I'm just going to do a 180 and try and cram General Principles too now.

In a perfect world there'd be two FMG problem questions, giving an excuse to only have to do an Essay on the staple judicial review question.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭20082014

I'm sticking with
    Institutions
    Gen Principles
    Direct Effect
    Judicial review
    Member State Liability
    Free Movement of Goods
    Citizenship
    Equality

I am doing the exact same topics

praying that it will be a nice paper!!

I can do no more, head is fried. Had to cut Misrep in the end, hopefully that doesn’t back fire on me! Should be well covered elsewhere though I’m thinking.

A few hours sleep and then cramming for the last time...for a few months at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JonnyHanlon

So my fellow warriors, I have shot my load until the next sitting.

These exams are the truest tests on my quest to becoming the ultimate legal warrior. I have faced many adversities, including Tort law and Equity and I am still standing.

Many foes await on my journey, including Property and Constitutional, on my path to the promised lands and I will be ready.

Keep fighting the good fight my fellow law warriors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Thegusbus

I can do no more, head is fried. Had to cut Misrep in the end, hopefully that doesn’t back fire on me! Should be well covered elsewhere though I’m thinking.

A few hours sleep and then cramming for the last time...for a few months at least!

Hi iamanengine,

What topics did you end up covering ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭niamh1612

Is anybody else staying awake till all hours tonight? Always reassuring to know someone else is!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement