Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin city 3 hour max parking

Options
  • 08-10-2019 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

I see most signs say three hour max on street parking. Do you get clamped if u stay over 3 hours even if you pay for more tham 3 hours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes, you have to move the car on after 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Hi

I see most signs say three hour max on street parking. Do you get clamped if u stay over 3 hours even if you pay for more tham 3 hours?

None of the machines will sell you a ticket for longer than 3 hours and you can't pay for more than 3 hours using the smartphone app.

But there's nothing to stop you buying a second ticket when the first one runs out. The smartphone app has no idea what street you're parked on so you could simply top up remotely every three hours. In the case of a physical ticket from a machine, you'd obviously have to visit the car each time to put a new ticket on the dash.

I'm pretty sure the clampers do not log cars to detect people overstaying in the same spot - like the NCP people do in shopping centre car parks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This has been unenforced since the texting came in as they encourage renewal via text. It should probably be enforced again as the purpose of on street parking is not for long term usage but in the absence of enforcement, do what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Here are the rules as provided by DCC::
    • The maximum allowed parking time is 3 hours.
    • You must vacate a parking space after your ticket has expired.
    • You must not return to the same street until 1 hour has elapsed.

As with many other parking restrictions, I doubt it is enforced .

DCC is the only local authority in Dublin that has a time limit across all charging zones. Fingal, SDCC and DLR allow you to pay for all day parking in some zones. In the case of SDCC, it's all of their zones except SD.

https://www.parkingtag.ie/locations/south-dublin
    https://www.parkingtag.ie/locations/d%C3%BAn-laoghaire-rathdown
    https://www.parkingtag.ie/locations/fingal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Just throw her up on the footpath somewhere. No one in DCC gives a ****

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭horsebox7

Thanks for all your replies. Just wondering if anybody knows of anyone who got clamped for overstaying the 3 hours eventhough it was paid for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how do you overpay, given that a previous poster has pointed out that a machine will not sell you a ticket for more than three hours?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

how do you overpay, given that a previous poster has pointed out that a machine will not sell you a ticket for more than three hours?

Return and replace ticket. Or use the phone based systems.

horsebox7 wrote: »
    Thanks for all your replies. Just wondering if anybody knows of anyone who got clamped for overstaying the 3 hours eventhough it was paid for?

If you're talking about a scenario where you park and pay for three hours, then (without moving the car) you pay for more parking, the answer from me is no.

I worked in an office near Baggot St. where people were forever running out every three hours to put a new ticket on the dash, none of them was ever clamped with a valid ticket on display. The clampers go around in vans, all they care about are cars that have not paid or where the ticket has expired. The rule about moving after three hours is simply not enforced in the city.

In the early days of clamping in the city, the first line of attack was a team of people on mopeds who scanned streets for cars with expired or no ticket. They called in the clampers but they were easily spotted so by the time the van arrived, the people working at the front of the building had alerted their colleagues following which there was a mad dash to the machine and all of the cars had a valid ticket when the clamper van arrived. That system didn't work so the mopeds were decommissioned. It's possible that the people on the mopeds also had a brief to look for people overstaying but they're long gone. Nowadays, the clamper vans go around by themselves looking for victims.

I'm not sure about the three local authorities outside the city, they have traffic wardens on foot, they may enforce such a rule if it exists in certain streets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement