Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing wealth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,401 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How ?

Are you saying there is an unmarked car outside my house watching my movements 24/7 ?

They have probably the largest IT team in the country with the best resources and a national and international reputation.

It's not hard, for example, to look at who is spending on cars at a level out of whack with their declared income.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Let's say a great aunt died and left you a million euro, could you retire and having put the money to work, live off it?

If so, what would you do with the money - where would you invest it?

Idea stems from stories you read about people who either build up enough of a nest egg to retire early, replace great aunt with won it on the 3.10 @ Cheltenham if you prefer.

I always says philanthropy, never believing I'll have to put my money where my mouth is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

They have probably the largest IT team in the country with the best resources and a national and international reputation.

It's not hard, for example, to look at who is spending on cars at a level out of whack with their declared income.

I wouldn't spend more than 10k on a car so they wouldn't be coming after me for buying a car.

I wouldn't spend more than 10k on a car so they wouldn't be coming after me for buying a car.
    Grand so, everything will definitely be fine for your tax evasion plan. You're definitely smarter than all the other folks who appeared on the defaulters list last quarter, and the quarter before that, and the quarter before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Grand so, everything will definitely be fine for your tax evasion plan. You're definitely smarter than all the other folks who appeared on the defaulters list last quarter, and the quarter before that, and the quarter before that.

Don't read those, you'll only upset yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

All that wealth is wasted on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How would the Revenue know how I spend my cash ?

Like if I went out every night on the town and spent a few hundred quid every night 7 days a week. The Revenue would have no way of picking up on that.

They'd know because someone will tell them.

Some of them on the list are just thick. I read about one guy who was putting his undeclared money into a bank account, no wonder he was caught.

They wouldn't catch me because I'd be living "off the grid".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Some of them on the list are just thick. I read about one guy who was putting his undeclared money into a bank account, no wonder he was caught.

The travellers are living off the grid, but you know a lot about them.

Yeah, no-one in Revenue has ever thought about that possibility. You're definitely on the pig's back there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, no-one in Revenue has ever thought about that possibility. You're definitely on the pig's back there.

They may think about it but its almost impossible to go after someone who lives on cash with no fixed address.

Otherwise the revenue would be going after beggars and homeless people.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

They may think about it but its almost impossible to go after someone who lives on cash with no fixed address.

Doubt it. It'd hardly be worth their while I'd imagine...

6 wrote: »
    Doubt it. It'd hardly be worth their while I'd imagine...

That guy AndrewJRenko sounds like he works for Revenue.

I know loads of people who work in the black economy who have never come to the attention of Revenue.

So just to be clear, that's your advice to the OP - go off the grid and live out of a van or something to evade tax?

I know loads of people who work in the black economy who have come to the attention of Revenue.

Yes, you're right - there are loads of them published in the quarterly list of Revenue defaulters

That guy AndrewJRenko sounds like he works for Revenue.

I know loads of people who work in the black economy who have come to the attention of Revenue.

How did you find out about them?

Yes, you're right - there are loads of them published in the quarterly list of Revenue defaulters

I meant to say never.

I meant to say never.

Loose talk leads to Revenue investigations. If they are telling you about how they are evading tax, you are not going to be the only one who knows about it. Someone else will report them.

Loose talk leads to Revenue investigations. If they are telling you about how they are evading tax, you are not going to be the only one who knows about it. Someone else will report them.

Anyone who did report them would suddenly find that their legs don't work.

It is an anonymous process. Their legs will be perfectly safe, unless they tell you what they did.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

• Advertisement

Is that another requirement for the OPs new life off the grid - must be prepared to carry out criminal, violent assaults to protect this web of secrecy around your life?

You're not doing a great job at promoting 'off the grid' as a sensible, practical option for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Is that another requirement for the OPs new life off the grid - must be prepared to carry out criminal, violent assaults to protect this web of secrecy around your life?

You're not doing a great job at promoting 'off the grid' as a sensible, practical option for people.

OP here. If i opened this thread from the North Pole, it's now below living with the penguins in Antarctica.

Can't be bothered contributing anymore

I don't advocate any violence but you would not want to cross the lads I know who are working in the black economy.

It is an anonymous process. Their legs will be perfectly safe, unless they tell you what they did.

https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/secure/ReportFraud.aspx

Its never fully anonymous the truth has away of getting out.

Also remember they use to say you could make an "anonymous call" to a Garda station.

But then it came out years latter that ALL calls to garda stations are recorded.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/secret-garda-phone-recordings-violated-citizens-human-rights-35600939.html

Its never fully anonymous the truth has away of getting out.

Also remember they use to say you could make an "anonymous call" to a Garda station.

But then it came out years latter that ALL calls to garda stations are recorded.

https://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/secret-garda-phone-recordings-violated-citizens-human-rights-35600939.html

Making a report to revenue is not anonymous, but on the flip side it's easy to hide a million in cash?

Making a report to revenue is not anonymous, but on the flip side it's easy to hide a million in cash?

The travellers are able to hide their money so yes it is possible if you know what you're doing.

The travellers are able to hide their money so yes it is possible if you know what you're doing.

How much are they hiding each?

How much are they hiding each?

Enough to buy brand new cars and in some cases houses.

I wonder does ethnic minority status mean they are unofficially tax exempt.

Enough to buy brand new cars and in some cases houses.

I wonder does ethnic minority status mean they are unofficially tax exempt.

Yeah, couple of huge houses built in town near me a few years ago. All boarded up now by the lads in CAB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

T

Bwaahaahaa. That's funny. You have no clue about the sophistication of technology used in Revenue to analyse a whole range of factors. If you're travelling more than your peers, or owning a nicer car than your peers, or getting more work done on your house than your peers, Revenue will notice one day. The money isn't going to much use to you if you keep it in a box under the bed. It has to come out somewhere.

How do the revenue decide who your peers are?

Advertisement