Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe, 6th October 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Ryan doesn't pick who he rides.

Aidan picks who's on who. It's well known

• Registered Users Posts: 16,408 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

If you want the kiss of death, well so be it. I have placed a 50 euro bet on Magical at 25's on Betfair that I am laying off at for high single digit prices.

50 quid is a big bet for me these days, that is the strength of my conviction. Good luck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Every big race this forum seems to come up with a trendy no hoper. Magical isn't winning this. O'Brien hasn't beat Gosden in many of the good races this season, I can't even think of one. Every time they had the top 2 in the betting it seemed to end up in a Frankie flying dismount. Even with donnacha being my preferred jockey out of him and ryan, this isn't Friday night at Dundalk. Magical wont be in the top 3.

I'll be on Enable to make history and be the high point of an insanely successful year for the Gosden/Dettori combo. if I was going to back anything else it would be Waldgeist but until Enable loses I'll stick with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

People backing magical to win are mad.....
    What evidence have you that she can beat Enable??
    Are you familiar with Einstein's definition of insanity??? Check that sh*t out....

Now, e/w, Magical is a huge price, but Enable wins
    Forecast could be the bet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Are you familiar with Einstein's definition of insanity??? Check that sh*t out....

Everything has its price. Magical is value if enable isn’t 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

This is the outsider of the field at 100/1.

A few of you may have noticed my bet on Soft Light at 317/1.
    He is the slowest horse in the race, is often out the back in his races as he does not have the pace to keep up, then improves his position near the finish.

Soft Light was supplemented for the Arc for Euro 120,000, the trainer saying the owner would like to see his colours in the race.
    I was a bit suspicious of that comment. Although the owner is very wealthy, I doubt he would enter the horse to see it finish tailed off.

Soft Light's last four races were at 12f, and he was 2nd in three of those four races.
    Two of the races were Group 2, and he was beaten a neck and 1/2 length (12 1/2f, "ran on inside final furlong, not reach winner").
    His sire is Authorised, a sire of stayers who go on soft ground.
    The ground at Longchamp is soft at present, and I wish it was heavy.

I registered on the France Galop website a long time back. It allows me read the French form, and more importantly view videos of all the races, and from start to finish.
    I was very interested in Soft Light's first race, 1900 metres on heavy. He won by 3 lengths.
    It was the third race on the card. The two previous races were also 1900 metres. Soft Light's time was slightly slower than the first two races.
    The Racing Post shows he was 1st/12 i.e. first of 12 runners, but the detailed form is misleading as it shows him 1st of 4 runners (12 actually ran).

At 1:47 into the race Soft Light was 9th (?) about 7 lengths behind the leader. At 2:20 he passed the post the winner 3 lengths ahead. His jockey looked over his right shoulder, his left shoulder, his right shoulder again in the last 100 metres.
    Yes, it was a low level maiden race at a provincial track, but it is worth watching.
    It was unusual (to me) for such a young 2yo (he was born 22/04/16) make his first racecourse appearance in a 9 1/2f race on heavy. That suggests excess stamina.

If the Arc is run at a fast pace and the ground is soft, he might have a chance.
    He might not have the pace to keep up, but he has stamina.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

It's a big race of the season and people like to have a bet in it to make the race fun.

Even if Magical hasn't improved by the 3/4L that she's usually behind Enable ( York was a comeback run ) it's quite possible that Enable herself will find trouble in running or suffer an injury in the race leaving the door open for another horse to win.

Magical is a cracking substitute if Enable has a bad day and she's been a big price for a horse that is very close on form to Enable. Magical came alive at the end of the last flat season, she's a much more rounded filly this year, she's not a summer ground horse and gets the cut in the ground in the Arc that transformed her at Ascot last year. She showed much better tactical speed at Leopardstown than she has shown all season, so it's not unreasonable to think that she's in peak form for a race that Coolmore have had as her main target all season.

If as some think Magical isn't all that good, then what's so attractive about taking the odds on on Enable who has basically been just 3/4L superior to her twice?

If people think Magical isn't all that good then it's fair to say that Coolmore have Ryan Moore on their best shot Japan which puts Japan up as a huge threat to Enable. People forget that Enable barely got home from Sea Of Class over course and distance last year. Then there's the lightly raced Ghaiyyath who has an OR of 127 and could be anything.

It's probable that Gosden will have Enable souped up for her swansong, but at odds on it's not an attractive bet.

Longchamp going today, Saturday
    Terrain tr souple (3,8)

How does today's first race, Prix Dollar, compare with the times for that race on its Wiki page, 1974 to 2018?
    30 race times were faster, 13 were slower in those 44 races
    That tell me the ground is slow, and confirms the 3.8 official going (very soft).

Soft going changes everything.

Also, Aidan sending out Magical again means he thinks it can win. He has plenty of bullets back at Ballydoyle to fire, but yet he persists with Magical. It has a chance.

• Advertisement

The effect of the very soft ground on the times of today's Group races at Longchamp

12.30 G2 Prix Dollar 1m 2f ( slow by 7.56 )
    13.35 G2 Prix Daniel Wildenstein 1m ( slow by 6.50 )
    15.25 G1 Prix Du Royalieu 1m 6f ( slow by 11.98 )
    16.00 G2 Prix Chaudenay 1m 7f ( slow by 8.46 )
    16.35 G1 Prix Du Cadran. 2m 4f ( slow by 23.83 )

3 races won by French horses, 2 won by UK horse.

There were NO WINNING FAVOURITES TODAY.

A Saturday of intermittent showers and the promise of more rain overnight and into Sunday has left Longchamp officials expecting the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe will be run on no better than holding ground, though it will ride more like heavy.

With a 17-metre strip of fresh turf due to be opened up for Sunday's eight-race card, Frankie Dettori was taking a relaxed view of the potential impact on Enable's bid for history.

Dettori said on Saturday: "She copes with this ground. She won the King George and Breeders' Cup Turf on soft ground. We're also racing on a different track tomorrow and I don't think you can compare it to the track we're on today."

https://www.racingpost.com/news/longchamp-sunday/longchamp-set-to-be-extremely-testing-with-more-rain-on-the-way/402911

Frankie doesn't think the ground will be a problem for Enable. I think he's right, Enable goes very well on Soft ground and very soft ground will inconvenience half the field or more making her job up on the pace less complicated as the field gets strung out in the mud.

Bog like conditions today they are saying. Enable Battash double backers, how we feel about that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Surely last years winner Mab's Cross is the bet at the prices. 10/1 should be an e/w bet to nothing.
    Also, it was soft last year if i remember correctly too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Bog like conditions today they are saying. Enable Battash double backers, how we feel about that ?

Anyone backing that double at those prices in 2 of the biggest luck involved races of the year want locking up . I hope they both win , but I’ll be letting them at the prices .

aidankkk wrote: »
    Anyone backing that double at those prices in 2 of the biggest luck involved races of the year want locking up . I hope they both win , but I’ll be letting them at the prices .

Lock me up! Throw away the key! Cos I am baalllsss ddeeeeepp

Terrain tr souple (4,1) +

Google translate
    Relevé of the 06.10.2019 at 09h27
    FLAT / Grass: TR SOFT (4.1)
    Precipitation since 24h: 3.5 mm

*** WEATHER FORECAST ***
    Forecast for October 06, 2019
    Temperature: 17 degrees, Wind: WEST
    Cloudy weather
    Precipitation: A FEW SMALL RAIN IN MORNING

State of the ground planned for the race (takes into account the possible watering)
    TR SOFT
    Position of the rice at the finish line: 0,0 m
    Information not incurring the responsibility of FRANCE GALOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Waldgeist to finish top 4

6/4 pp

Looks a solid bet to me

GL

This is by far the softest ground that Enable will ever have run on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Waldgeist w/o Enable, 7/1 e/w. Skybet paying 4 places even on this market it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

FatRat wrote: »
    Waldgeist w/o Enable, 7/1 e/w. Skybet paying 4 places even on this market it seems.

Despite saying 4 places in the bet slip title, it now says 3 places for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Doogs27

Very soft over here even in the food gardens area. Great atmosphere and the weather looks like its going to hold for a while. I hope......
    Going to have a small e/w about kersecki with soumillion on board in the Arc.
    Will oppose bataash with sesstilio jet.
    Hoping for a big run out of jessies in the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

8/1 e/w on Japan seems like a pretty nice bet to nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

I'm still in shock over those Dee Ex Bee tactics yesterday. That was one sure fire way to get the horse beat. Inexcusable.

Go Enable!!!

So nervous Mon the queen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Go on frankie

Bad day for racing. Devastating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I am sick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I am sick