Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiny Traders Village

Options
  • 05-10-2019 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure many are aware of the spat between TTV and Galway Arts Centre. TTV were renting the space at Nuns Island Theatre for their market. Then Paul David Murphy, the man who runs TTV, announced they would no longer be using the venue and were looking for a new home.

Then GAC announced their own market in the same venue and invited all TTV traders to come join them. Bad form by GAC who it seems were intent on cutting out the middle man from the start.

Hopefully TTV gets back up and running soon, a great addition to the city.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2391368114452048&id=1850435138545351

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm sure many are aware of the spat between TTV and Galway Arts Centre. TTV were renting the space at Nuns Island Theatre for their market. Then Paul David Murphy, the man who runs TTV, announced they would no longer be using the venue and were looking for a new home.

Then GAC announced their own market in the same venue and invited all TTV traders to come join them. Bad form by GAC who it seems were intent on cutting out the middle man from the start.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2391368114452048&id=1850435138545351

As with most things, it doesn't seem to be that straightforward. Have heard a very different account of events from the GAC side. Not sure exactly where the truth lies (usually somewhere in between) but I'll personally hold off on casting blame until more details are revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

xckjoo wrote: »

As with most things, it doesn't seem to be that straightforward. Have heard a very different account of events from the GAC side. Not sure exactly where the truth lies (usually somewhere in between) but I'll personally hold off on casting blame until more details are revealed.
    Well from GAC's post on FB yesterday, to the removing of posts criticising which weren't in agreement with them and Murphy's personal assertions I'd certainly be leaning against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed.

GAC is a registered charity, subject to a lot of regulatory requirements (and the requirements are growing).

Tiny Traders is a registered business, owned by one individual. He's done an amazing job of getting his business off the ground, traders on board and brand built - deserves a lot of credit for this. I very much doubt that he's gotton rich (or even a minimum wage salary) for his trouble. But it's still a private business, benefiting one person. It's not a limited liability company, so there's very little visibility of how it's operating.

Using Nuns Island Theatre for a market to me looks like a waste of a performance venue. They had to do a LOT of work to get people down there, and as the weather gets colder it would be less and less viable from now on.

Methinks there's WAY more to this than will come out in public, every.

Indeed.

GAC is a registered charity, subject to a lot of regulatory requirements (and the requirements are growing).

Tiny Traders is a registered business, owned by one individual. He's done an amazing job of getting his business off the ground, traders on board and brand built - deserves a lot of credit for this. I very much doubt that he's gotton rich (or even a minimum wage salary) for his trouble. But it's still a private business, benefiting one person. It's not a limited liability company, so there's very little visibility of how it's operating.

Using Nuns Island Theatre for a market to me looks like a waste of a performance venue. They had to do a LOT of work to get people down there, and as the weather gets colder it would be less and less viable from now on.

Have you read the public statement made by GAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes.

Am sure no one's telling anything like the full story.

Am equally sure that it was due to end for the season anyways: the traders were bored witless due to lack of customers when I was down there about 3 weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Am sure no one's telling anything like the full story.

Am equally sure that it was due to end for the season anyways: the traders were bored witless due to lack of customers when I was down there about 3 weeks ago.
    Going by everything being said and the fact theyve the mayor helping find a new venue, as well as the support from traders for Murphy it would seem to go against your assertion that it was ending for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

ya the guy <snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This got personal real fast.
    I'm going to stop it here before it adds up to rumours and other problems, do continue on their FB pages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement