Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Lorenzo

• 02-10-2019 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭

Seeing as Galway is now an Amber warning for tomorrow and could go Red might be no harm to have a place to post the conditions that people may come across during the storm to make people aware of areas of flooding and trees down. Stay safe folks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Seeing as Galway is now an Amber warning for tomorrow and could go Red might be no harm to have a place to post the conditions that people may come across during the storm to make people aware of areas of flooding and trees down. Stay safe folks

Apt post Storm 10

Looks like it's turning northwards which will result in most of the orange becoming yellow.

The storm thread on the weather board is monitoring it very closely

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058018456/24/#post111404075

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

High tide is around 9:20pm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone have a good link to one of those interactive storm maps?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This one is mesmerising:
    https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-17.13,46.58,1051/loc=-22.589,47.184

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

I for one like Windy.com ...
    https://www.windy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

anyone have a link for bus route changes/cancellations for this evening?

Leisureland closing at 6pm this evening due to the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Post Lorenzo. If every storm we have here is like that, I think we'd take it.

Some are p1ssin' and moanin' about the warning and it not being severe. I think Met Eireann did a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Met Éireann were bang on. The media sensationalised the bejesus out of it however. RTÉ and George Lee in particular, should be ashamed of themselves. This event will only cause the proles to lose faith with ME, and when a serious storm does land a blow; they won’t they won’t be prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

whats with the big orange turd of a rubber ducky thing at the Spanish arch, its still up, why do the council leave this up for months at a time after a potential storm ? when it should have come down again next day, this time its even worse as they have erected concrete bollards etc and left the bins locked in on the river side
    the grass was only just recovering from the last time they left it out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Notch000 wrote: »
    whats with the big orange turd of a rubber ducky thing at the Spanish arch, its still up, why do the council leave this up for months at a time after a potential storm ? when it should have come down again next day, this time its even worse as they have erected concrete bollards etc and left the bins locked in on the river side

This time it's been placed so the precious isn't affected. Loss of access to the bins is a consequence of this. Take your shyte home with you.

The next storm will be along soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

#grassgate2019

Alternative version..... "Lads, can you believe it, the council have only gone and wasted 50,000 euros by repeatedly placing and removing the flood barrier. The second the storm is gone they whip it away only to spend thousands putting back again when the next storm rolls around. For gods sake do they not realise its storm season. Of course, nobody will be sacked for this ridiculous waste of taxpayers money"

Damned if you do......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

They left the last one there well into the summer and it was broken after getting battered by the first storm that came. Was a pretty bad sight for tourists.

They are definitely not proactive enough.

Anima wrote: »
    They left the last one there well into the summer and it was broken after getting battered by the first storm that came. Was a pretty bad sight for tourists.

They are definitely not proactive enough.

Doubt many in City Hall would know what that means, I'd say some would confuse it with a type of Yogurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I agree with your dismay - it looks awful, like there's temporary construction going on for half the year.

They need to design a longer-term solution. I'd recommend a 0.5m wall along the city-center-side of the grass, which several openings where they can slot in/out barriers just before/after each storm. Extend the wall from the bridge to the arch, similar to the temp barrier, then again at the back of the arch to Ard Bia.

With this approach people can still enjoy sitting by the river on a sunny day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I agree with your dismay - it looks awful, like there's temporary construction going on for half the year.

They need to design a longer-term solution. I'd recommend a 0.5m wall along the city-center-side of the grass, which several openings where they can slot in/out barriers just before/after each storm. Extend the wall from the bridge to the arch, similar to the temp barrier, then again at the back of the arch to Ard Bia.

Why can a normal citizen come up with such an easily workable solution but the best they can come up with in City Hall is an inflatable boom that they just leave there for half the year? It obviously does its job but it looks terrible.

0.5m would be just high enough to tempt drunken eejits to climb over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Have you proof/ evidence/link for this data?

• Advertisement

Let them, they'd only be landing on the grass area.... (or in 0.5m water during flooding).

Anyway, I'm talking about flood protection for the area, not drunken eejit protection.

Let them, they'd only be landing on the grass area.... (or in 0.5m water during flooding).

Anyway, I'm talking about flood protection for the area, not drunken eejit protection.

If we're going to invest in building something, I'd argue that following the coroner's recommendation would be a higher priority than stopping a few buildings from flooding.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If we're going to invest in building something, I'd argue that following the coroner's recommendation would be a higher priority than stopping a few buildings from flooding.

Has the coroner made any recommendations? Dublin seems to get on just fine with the walls along the Liffey!

<offtopic>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

<offtopic>

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Guys, keep it on topic and be nice

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Has the coroner made any recommendations? Dublin seems to get on just fine with the walls along the Liffey!

Is the Liffey the fastest-flowing river in Europe? Because the Corrib is the 2nd fastest (allegedly).

Here's but one of several news reports: https://connachttribune.ie/coroner-and-gardai-join-call-for-life-saving-barriers-676/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Is the Liffey the fastest-flowing river in Europe? Because the Corrib is the 2nd fastest (allegedly).

Here's but one of several news reports: https://connachttribune.ie/coroner-and-gardai-join-call-for-life-saving-barriers-676/

That article is asking for barriers to stop people falling in. There could be railings with slotted posts to take barriers when needed.

Here's a quick mock-up of the location of the short wall I'd propose...

493292.jpg

Then when a storm is expected, slot in the flood barriers and remove the next day...

Building-3.jpg

Similar removable flood barriers are used at the entrances to the park in Salthill (although they could move them in/out quicker)...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2626162,-9.0706947,3a,50.8y,117.88h,81.75t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipNl9jaCxoAK5L0BkbV6hJ71XUZ9OLLWzaNNwKwp!2e10!7i6912!8i3456

The low wall with gaps would actually be seen as a similar style and continuation of the wall along the long walk.

• Advertisement
Advertisement