Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pacific Rim

• 27-08-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hmmm what are your thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I thought it would be great for the kids. Big robots, could be a new Transformers fad.

Fast forwarded the Ron Pealman parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I LOVE Pacific Rim. It's one of the most fun films made..... once you know it knows how ludicrous it is. A friend of mine saw it and thought it was rubbish: "It was like one of those Japanese cartoons"

Yes... Yes it is :D. But it knows how crazy it is. From the very names of the characters:

Stacker Pentecost
    Hercules Hanson!!!!! (Possibly the best non-80's name ever created)
    Hannibal Chao

I mean how can you not love a movie which has a giant robot, smashing its way through night-time Hong Kong, only to smash a huge monster upside the head..... with a f*cking tanker!!!!!

The dialogue is simply brilliant in its OTT-ness also:
    Now, you and I are the only thing standin' between that ugly bastard and a city of 2 million people! Now we have a choice here: we either sit and wait, or we take these flare guns and do something really stupid.

And

Are you funnin' me?

It's a delirious Akihabara sugardrink-fueled fever dream of a live action anime made by an out and out geek. Glorious :)

Really enjoyed it, no interest in the second one, giant robots fighting giant monsters hell yes, and probably the best of the Transformers movies:;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It was an ok summer movie, nothing more and nothing I've ever returned to. I've had much more enjoyable one liners in things such as the A-team movie ("Don't worry gentlemen a bit of turbulence have never brought down an airplane but we got inbound sub sonic UAWs with missile lock and they bring down planes all the time", "Are they trying to shot down the other drone? No, they are trying to fly the tank") and this clip is simply a glorious example of what makes that movie so great (spoilers in the clip obviously).

Really enjoyed it, no interest in the second one, giant robots fighting giant monsters hell yes, and probably the best of the Transformers movies:;)

Don't bother. The 2nd film totally TOTALLY missed the point. The first film KNEW it was daft. The second one didn't realise it should be daft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Nody wrote: »
    It was an ok summer movie, nothing more and nothing I've ever returned to. I've had much more enjoyable one liners in things such as the A-team movie ("Don't worry gentlemen a bit of turbulence have never brought down an airplane but we got inbound sub sonic UAWs with missile lock and they bring down planes all the time", "Are they trying to shot down the other drone? No, they are trying to fly the tank") and this clip is simply a glorious example of what makes that movie so great (spoilers in the clip obviously).

Love the old lady at the end of that clip. Now I just want to rewatch the A-Team!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

I mean how can you not love a movie which has a giant robot, smashing its way through night-time Hong Kong, only to smash a huge monster upside the head..... with a f*cking tanker!!!!!

I personally have watched the film about 8 times, love it!!

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Love the old lady at the end of that clip. Now I just want to rewatch the A-Team!

For some reason I never liked the A-Team movie... I don't know why. It's a pity 'cos the cast was amazing. Still, conversation for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

Robots fighting humans: Terminator

Robots fighting robots: Transformers

Robots fighting monsters: Pacific rim

Have I missed any?

Midster wrote: »
    Robots fighting humans: Terminator

Robots fighting robots: Transformers

Robots fighting monsters: Pacific rim

Have I missed any?

Monster fighting Monster: Bride Wars