Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

So is the UK now is proposing for a complete change of policy in regards to customs checks at or near the border ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Patser wrote: »
    Seen this on Twitter, and it may be coincidental that they just needed new cars, but to me seems a bit too coincidental and looks like planning is being out in place

twitter.com/bcab4eu/status/1179007997248454657
    Maybe they are made in the UK and they are stockpiling before the tariffs go on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

So is the UK now is proposing for a complete change of policy in regards to customs checks at or near the border ?

At the moment, Tory Brexit proposals seems to be based on where the interviewee is in his/her "Choose Your Own Adventure" book. If even the supposed leader of Her Majesty's Government doesn't know what the latest scenario is, that's the only logical explanation! :pac:

PS: Is my memory starting to fail, or did someone on the Brexiters side of the fence once say "We won't be putting up a border! The EU can put one up if they want, but we won't do that ..." ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Certain headline in a certain tabloid right now
    Brexit breakthrough as France and Germany cave on backstop - Boris set for major victory

The English working class bombarded with this quality "journalism" for 40 years

• Registered Users Posts: 18,251 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Even if this was true (it's not), the ERG would probably vote down a time limited backstop anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

That isnt even any sort of journalism thats blatent propaganda and should not be in any sort of publication. Then again this is the UK and since Boris got in they've basically gone full retard on everything.

Honestly unless Boris is given the boot in the next fortnight its all but certain to be a crashout brexit as these clowns are for all intents and purposes noy interested in a deal only in trying to get their misapproiated cash ins and to hell with everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Who on NT is saying this?

They often have Edwina Currie on who parrots this line ad nauseum. That is not the same as the station presenting a line that the EU are about to capitulate to UK demands.

It was the 1st topic on the 7pm news bulletin on newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭liamtech

Spent 25 minutes searching for the origin of this 'Back Stop Time Limit' argument

- 2 Insiders

- A source familiar with the negotiations

- A European Parliament Source

Is that actually it? this does seem to be fake news but it does seem to be doing the rounds now

is there any actual named source???

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

PS: Is my memory starting to fail, or did someone on the Brexiters side of the fence once say "We won't be putting up a border! The EU can put one up if they want, but we won't do that ..." ? :rolleyes:

I think many of them probably said the likes of that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

liamtech wrote: »
    Spent 25 minutes searching for the origin of this 'Back Stop Time Limit' argument

- 2 Insiders

Is that actually it? this does seem to be fake news but it does seem to be doing the rounds now

At this stage its usually Brexiteer BS with no facts or credible sources to back it. Its been going for a while so its not even newsworthy anymore.

• Advertisement

nothing on headlines of sky news

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

- 2 Insiders

Of course not. There's a Tory Party conference going on. Some hack got a one to one with a Tory MP or spad and got fed this bullcrap, perfectly timed for the evening news and the tabloid newspapers' websites in order to get a bit of 'Oomph' going in the snorefest that is the CPC.

Infini wrote: »
    At this stage its usually Brexiteer BS with no facts or credible sources to back it. Its been going for a while so its not even newsworthy anymore.
    Of course not. There's a Tory Party conference going on. Some hack got a one to one with a Tory MP or spad and got fed this bullcrap, perfectly timed for the evening news and the tabloid newspapers' websites in order to get a bit of 'Oomph' going in the snorefest that is the CPC.
    - prawnsambo

It is completely outrageous - 24 hours of madness and mental positions which are entirely designed to annoy the Irish, and cause us a lot of grief

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Call me Al wrote: »
    It was the 1st topic on the 7pm news bulletin on newstalk.

Ah, well then, I suspect it was followed by the standard 'That's according to....' which could range from a topless guy on the streets of Stevenage at 03:15 this morning to the PM saying so at the Tory party conference.

Neither being particularly indicative of the real state of affairs.

I wouldnt fancy trying to do a international trade deal with the UK post Brexit. How could anyone trust anything they negotiated with them ?

I wouldnt fancy trying to do a international trade deal with the UK post Brexit. How could anyone trust anything they negotiated with them ?

Seem to recall hearing that an Australian politician dodged the question earlier today - didnt see the interview but apparently something along the lines of

'Theoretically possible'
    'Not an Ozzy Priority'
    'EU and China are ahead in the line'
    'Back of the line for a Brexited UK'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Well the US will adopt their usual method of faxing the documents to them and telling them to sign. Other countries' mileage may differ. But I suspect that everyone will wait for a deal to be made with the EU first before making a move.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

She sounds well posh to me !

Not the way she drops the ‘g’ at the end of her verbs. It’s quite gratin’ once you notice it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Ah, well then, I suspect it was followed by the standard 'That's according to....' which could range from a topless guy on the streets of Stevenage at 03:15 this morning to the PM saying so at the Tory party conference.

Neither being particularly indicative of the real state of affairs.

You asked who was saying it. It's being reported as their headline news, and was just broadcast to the country as their headline news, based on two unnamed sources who spoke to a reporter with Bloomberg. Not based on a substantive press release or official EU source.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,034 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Seem to recall hearing that an Australian politician dodged the question earlier today - didnt see the interview but apparently something along the lines of

'Theoretically possible'
    'Not an Ozzy Priority'

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111394079&postcount=2013

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    You asked who was saying it. It's being reported as their headline news, and was just broadcast to the country as their headline news, based on two unnamed sources who spoke to a reporter with Bloomberg. Not based on a substantive press release or official EU source.

Then I think most listening would have heard it in that context and not viewed it simply as NT are presenting something as fact. As I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,395 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Theoretically possible'
    'Not an Ozzy Priority'

Julia Gillard, former PM.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

She sounds well posh to me !

You can get a posh voice by going to a posh school (posh = expensive, private).

Many of the Ugandan Asians did very well in the UK because they were able business people which is why Idi Amin expelled them. Most left wih little or nothing.

WOOOOOW - thats not just dashing hopes thats almost a slap!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Express. Of note from the article:

Headline, as you said:

Brexit breakthrough as France and Germany cave on backstop - Boris set for major victory

Then:

The Prime Minister could be offered the major concession in the coming days in the hope of sealing a Brexit deal. Brussels could offer a time-limit if the UK agrees to keep the measure to avoid customs checks on the Irish border after Brexit. In a drastic shift, Northern Ireland would be kept in the EU’s customs union but for a limited period of time.

Then:

Dublin has long argued that any time-limited mechanism would cease to be a backstop. The offer entirely relies on the Irish prime minister giving his blessing to the plan.

Then:

A spokeswoman said: “The EU is not considering this option at all. We are waiting for the UK to come forward with a legally operational solution that meets all the objectives of the backstop.”

So Johnson defeats the Germans and the French. Then it's possible that they will agree to his demands. Then it's the Irish who are blocking a deal. Then the EU says Johnson's plan is rubbish.

From glorious victory to the EU says No. All in one article. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

Quote:

Absolute BS. Similar to the headline "Victory to Boris" after his meeting with Merkel when she caved in and "granted him 30 days". LOL

The word Victory and Boris cannot be used in the same sentence. He has had nothing but losses since he took office.

'Theoretically possible'
    'Not an Ozzy Priority'

Think the back of the line is being taken that she actually said it. She didn't. Femi tweeted that that was effectively what she was saying but her words were not as clear cut as that.

She essentially said that Australia has done and will continue to negotiate trade deals and if the time comes to do so with the UK, then, they will.

Heads up. Jonathan Powell will be on newsnight at 10:30

Always a good, intelligent, articulate watch.

The Express. Of note from the article:

Headline, as you said:

Then:

The Prime Minister could be offered the major concession in the coming days in the hope of sealing a Brexit deal. Brussels could offer a time-limit if the UK agrees to keep the measure to avoid customs checks on the Irish border after Brexit. In a drastic shift, Northern Ireland would be kept in the EU’s customs union but for a limited period of time.

Then:

Dublin has long argued that any time-limited mechanism would cease to be a backstop. The offer entirely relies on the Irish prime minister giving his blessing to the plan.

Then:

A spokeswoman said: “The EU is not considering this option at all. We are waiting for the UK to come forward with a legally operational solution that meets all the objectives of the backstop.”

So Johnson defeats the Germans and the French. Then it's possible that they will agree to his demands. Then it's the Irish who are blocking a deal. Then the EU says Johnson's plan is rubbish.

From glorious victory to the EU says No. All in one article. Amazing.

You know as well as I do that the demographic target here will rarely actually read the article, just the mega font title.

Job done.

These "publications" have known this for 50 years.

They respect the intelligence of their avid readers.

• Advertisement

You can get a posh voice by going to a posh school (posh = expensive, private).

Many of the Ugandan Asians did very well in the UK because they were able business people which is why Idi Amin expelled them. Most left wih little or nothing.

Indeed. An expensive school and a few quid. Maybe even some elocution lessons along the way

Thats the thing they often say in Britain, it doesnt matter where someone starts out in life, if you make a few quid you are more likely to vote Tory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement