Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lantus wrote: »
    Sounds legit. Where do we access this data to review it ourselves?

I doubt they share that data.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TooObvious

Just get a Civic 5 door 1.8 and be done with it.

Great MPG, so reliable, and has aged very well.

Don't get the auto - get the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Sorry for partially high jacking this threat.

Looking to upsize my car, from a 142 VW Golf to a more family friendly car, preferably a jeep style, automatic, budget of around 15k.

Any recommendations welcome.

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Sorry for partially high jacking this threat.

Looking to upsize my car, from a 142 VW Golf to a more family friendly car, preferably a jeep style, automatic, budget of around 15k.

Any recommendations welcome.

15k plus whatever the Golf is worth?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    15k plus whatever the Golf is worth?

No, 15k in total - I'd hope to get maybe 8-10k for the golf.

• Advertisement

Thought a golf was family friendly, spacious, economic etc. Many of these "jeep style" cars are bigger on the outside but no bigger on the inside. Why not just buy an estate?

Sorry not to give a suggestion as to an actual make and model but this obsession with SUVs grinds my gears! Pure marketing bull at it's best, less economical, less spacious, more road noise, higher wear and tear, more expensive to build, not as good at handling, more dangerous to pedestrians or other vulnerable road users AND they're difficult to see over when driving behind in a car.

Apologies for the rant!!

I had considered looking at an estate car too.

The golf is spacious enough inside but the boot is very small and not suited to even a couple of suitcases in it. Would always like to change to an automatic if possible.

Crossovers have a higher and more upright driving position as well as a higher roof. They’re not just normal cars with jacked up suspension.
    The higher roof means getting kids in and out is easier, and a lot of people like to sit higher up.
    There’s a lot more space in the likes of a Tiguan than a Golf

That said. I bought an estate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I doubt they share that data.

Exactly. Wouldn't be so quick to accept this statistical evidence on the basis of their good word....

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mousie32

@Mousie you should give cornmarket a try for insurance on your avensis if your wife is with one of the nurses unions. They offer discounted quotes from rsa.

I believe they quote on older vehicles if you have owned the car for 5 or more years and have a full 5 years NCB.

Sertus/rsa through chill.ie are pretty good too

I will try them out. The wife is with one of them unions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Mousie32

TooObvious wrote: »
    Just get a Civic 5 door 1.8 and be done with it.

Great MPG, so reliable, and has aged very well.

Don't get the auto - get the manual.

Was thinking the boot space in the civics would be small. But just checked them there and it says for a 2009-2010 that the space is 485ltrs, 2009 passat is the same. Surely this couldn't be right? If it is its a game changer ha

The boot in the Civic is huge. I have an Octavia estate now and the Civic has a better boot. The Octavia boot is long but shallow.
    Now that’s partly because the Civic hasn’t a spare wheel.

+1 for the Civic boot very big. The car is hugely practical.

TooObvious wrote: »
    +1 for the Civic boot very big. The car is hugely practical.

As well as that, because the petrol tank is under the front seats, the rear seats fold down into the floor, so you have way more height than other cars with the seats down.

Advertisement