Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's traffic issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Think college road and Lough atalia going one way would be a step forward but how do you address speeding which was factor wasnt it when trialled when the council were doing works?

Put speed cameras all along college road .
    Put proper signage up to warn motorists that " you are entering a built up area maximum speed ....."
    Fine motorists heavily especially those that go way above the speed limit .
    As with everyone in this world .... They will learn quickly once they have to pay for the lesson .

The more you post about various problems areas of Galway the more you convince me that cars should be outright banned from the city centre. Would solve virtually every issue you raise.

While your at it with that train of thought ...
    Just ban humans from city center .
    All problems solved .
    Next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭xckjoo

While your at it with that train of thought ...
    Just ban humans from city center .
    All problems solved .
    Next
    That's some messed up logic. Do you think of cars as a basic human requirement?

ratracer wrote: »
    Fixed speed cameras wouldn’t be long sorting it out.

I love fixed speed cameras, you know the exact 100 meters or so where you have to slow down.

Making streets once way is idiotic though and should absolutely not happen.
    xckjoo wrote: »

Yes, They are an absolute fundamental requirement imo.

In galway .... It's obviously YES.
    Bus eireann aren't capable of providing people with their travelling requirements.
    For a lot of people cycling isn't an option for them.
    That's why so many people are dependent on their cars .

• Advertisement

In galway .... It's obviously YES.
    Bus eireann aren't capable of providing people with their travelling requirements.
    For a lot of people cycling isn't an option for them.
    That's why so many people are dependent on their cars .
    I must not be human so. I've been surviving without one for a few years now.

Between the bus and bike the only difference I see is in my wallet and improved moods getting in from work in the evening. Have a GoCar account that I still haven't actually used. Haven't taken a taxi in Galway in years either.

Bus Eireann are more than capable of providing the service needed, but they can't control the road infrastructure. If we had more bus lanes they'd easily provide reliable, consistent service.

Oh and I have to do the dreaded West-East crossing to get to and from work every day and still somehow manage to survive. I'm on a decent bus route though. And able bodied enough to walk the rest of the way when the bus gets bogged down in traffic. But just goes to show it is very possible if the facilities are there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

My abiding memory of cycling in Galway is getting beeped out of it/pushiment passes from taxi drivers when cycling in the bike/bus lane. For that reason alone I think taxi drivers should be banned from using bus/bike lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭baldshin

Decided I'd do my bit and not drive to town from Ballybrit this evening, and get the bus. 3 timetabled buses have not shown up yet, is it any wonder people avoid public transport here!?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭zell12

baldshin wrote: »
    Decided I'd do my bit and not drive to town from Ballybrit this evening, and get the bus. 3 timetabled buses have not shown up yet, is it any wonder people avoid public transport here!?

In fairness, all the buses are stuck in the Friday traffic snarl-up. Schedules are thrown out the windows.
    Chaotic does not describe it. Most of the vehicles are private single occupancy cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Agree, think conversation has veered off from Bus Gates at the City Centre Bridges to Bus Lanes, as you rightly point out very few bus lanes in Galway City anyhow. About 9% of the City Bus Network has bus lanes.

Only one way too. Merlin - Renmore bus lane full in morning and completly empty in evening. A whole third lane gone to waste in evening rush hours, although not sure what the solution is here.

• Advertisement

I must not be human so. I've been surviving without one for a few years now.

Between the bus and bike the only difference I see is in my wallet and improved moods getting in from work in the evening. Have a GoCar account that I still haven't actually used. Haven't taken a taxi in Galway in years either.

Bus Eireann are more than capable of providing the service needed, but they can't control the road infrastructure. If we had more bus lanes they'd easily provide reliable, consistent service.

Oh and I have to do the dreaded West-East crossing to get to and from work every day and still somehow manage to survive. I'm on a decent bus route though. And able bodied enough to walk the rest of the way when the bus gets bogged down in traffic. But just goes to show it is very possible if the facilities are there.
    Congrats xckjoo... Your obviously fit enough / young enough to cycle where you need to go .
    Cycling doesn't suit a huge amount of people for various reasons .
    Bus eireann have proved on many occasions that they don't have the professionalism required to provide a service that people want .
    In this day and age a company that's puts a red sign stuck on the road and expect people to stand at it not knowing 100% for sure how long before next bus .
    I get constantly flagged down by annoyed bus eireann customers who have given up waiting on a bus .
    Buses turning up with no seat available is another shocking part of their so called service .
    They're a joke of a company .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Congrats xckjoo... Your obviously fit enough / young enough to cycle where you need to go .
    Bus eireann have proved on many occasions that they don't have the professionalism required to provide a service that people want .
    In this day and age a company that's puts a red sign stuck on the road and expect people to stand at it not knowing 100% for sure how long before next bus .
    I get constantly flagged down by annoyed bus eireann customers who have given up waiting on a bus .
    Buses turning up with no seat available is another shocking part of their so called service .

So the council are a joke and so are bus eireann now, how do taxis rank on your list!

So the council are a joke and so are bus eireann now, how do taxis rank on your list!

I call it as I see it .
    a lot of TAXIDRIVERS are just like a lot of bus eireann drivers as well as city council .... Not up to the job .
    It's about providing a professional service .
    So typical of this country .
    We as a country haven't a clue how to provide a reliable / professional service .

Did ya not read what I wrote? I do bus and bike. To be honest I find myself going for the bus more often than I should because I enjoy switching off and reading or watching something while I travel.
    I do appreciate that I'm lucky in that I'm 1) on a good bus route and 2) able bodied. But if the road network was rejigged so buses don't have to sit in the same traffic as all the private car users then that should solve both those problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

But you can bud .
    Just do the Psv ( public service vecihcle ) test .
    Pass it .
    Buy a taxi .
    Pay all the costs I pay to have a taxi and guess what ???
    Ya you to can BY LAW use the bus lanes .
    I ain't special .
    Come join the gang bud .

All your listing there are business start up costs.

My point is this... Bus Lanes are built to move large volumes of people hastily through busy city traffic. Your service/business doesn't fulfill this need. I could have three passengers in my private car, but cannot use the lane you can use with just one passenger ( your car essentially being a single occupant vehicle). I don't see the logic here.
    Bud?? Are you a little butthurt that you cannot justify your use of that lane other than ferrying granny to the chemist and big important business man to his meeting. Business man would just have to plan his trip around the traffic, like the rest of us. And Granny's in no hurry and if your concerned about her expense, I'm sure you can give her the OAP discount.

I've made my point so I won't derail the thread any further.

All your listing there are business start up costs.

My point is this... Bus Lanes are built to move large volumes of people hastily through busy city traffic. Your service/business doesn't fulfill this need. I could have three passengers in my private car, but cannot use the lane you can use with just one passenger ( your car essentially being a single occupant vehicle). I don't see the logic here.
    Bud?? Are you a little butthurt that you cannot justify your use of that lane other than ferrying granny to the chemist and big important business man to his meeting. Business man would just have to plan his trip around the traffic, like the rest of us. And Granny's in no hurry and if your concerned about her expense, I'm sure you can give her the OAP discount.

I've made my point so I won't derail the thread any further.

We may only carry 1 to 8 people .
    But multiply the amount of taxis that operate in the city by the number of journeys we make .
    That's a lot of people in a year that WANT OUR SERVICE .
    You stick to the bus and the crap service that it provides .

We may only carry 1 to 8 people .
    But multiply the amount of taxis that operate in the city by the number of journeys we make .
    That's a lot of people in a year that WANT OUR SERVICE .
    You stick to the bus and the crap service that it provides .
    You're never going to win that comparison with a bus. I don't think anyone wants to ban your services just questioning why it should get the benefit of using the bus lane.

Another indirect subsidy of this form of transport is free extensive parking in the form of the taxi ranks. If we got the relevant licenses could we just park up in town for free for the day?
    There's nothing mentioned in the bylaws.
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/bye-laws

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

In the winter sometimes I have to cycle in the bus lane as the cycle lanes are too slippery. The council might grit the roads but they don’t grit the bike lanes.
    Sadly I have only been met by aggression for using the bus and taxi lanes when really it’s for my own safety. Another reason to make people think twice about cycling in Galway.

You're never going to win that comparison with a bus. I don't think anyone wants to ban your services just questioning why it should get the benefit of using the bus lane.

Another indirect subsidy of this form of transport is free extensive parking in the form of the taxi ranks. If we got the relevant licenses could we just park up in town for free for the day?
    There's nothing mentioned in the bylaws.
    https://www.galwaycity.ie/bye-laws

I will just say this once more ....
    Because we have a Psv licence .
    A public service vecihcle licence .
    We serve the public.... That's you .
    We are allowed to use bus lanes to keep the price of the fares lower than they would .
    As for taxi ranks ...
    Their our place of work ... That's where the public go to to get our service.
    I'm sure there's thousands of people that park their vecihcles free of charge at work .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Why do my eyes hurt....
    From reading some of the posts....
    From the last few pages???

• Advertisement

Worn Out wrote: »
    In the winter sometimes I have to cycle in the bus lane as the cycle lanes are too slippery. The council might grit the roads but they don’t grit the bike lanes.
    Sadly I have only been met by aggression for using the bus and taxi lanes when really it’s for my own safety. Another reason to make people think twice about cycling in Galway.
    You're allowed cycle in bus lanes. You'll even see a bike symbol on the bus lane signs. As far as I know it's universal.
    You don't have to be in the cycle lanes either. They're usually not fit for purpose unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

You're allowed cycle in bus lanes. You'll even see a bike symbol on the bus lane signs. As far as I know it's universal.
    You don't have to be in the cycle lanes either. They're usually not fit for purpose unfortunately.

Taxi men know this and don't care based on what I have witnessed on the Quays in Dublin at least.

They cannot believe that they are being slowed down -> dangerously close pass -> passed by same cyclist at next set of lights -> cannot believe they are being slowed down...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

True and True.
    NO Taxi symbol on the Bus Lane sign. Bus and Bicycle. For Contra Flow Bus Lanes, we have none in Galway City,( no contra flow bike lanes either) - only have a Bus on the Sign.
    Taxi's can only use the Bus Lane when they have a fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Anyone know whats the story with traffic in Oranmore this week. On top of the usual school traffic its backed up from Costa na mara right up to the coast road from 8 am onwards. Thankfully I was getting the train but ive never seen that road backed up on my commute

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭McGiver

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Why do my eyes hurt....
    From reading some of the posts....
    From the last few pages???
    Would have something constructive to add apart from slagging people try to do so? Use report button if you find the discussion OT or otherwise inappropriate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

skinny90 wrote: »
    Anyone know whats the story with traffic in Oranmore this week. On top of the usual school traffic its backed up from Costa na mara right up to the coast road from 8 am onwards. Thankfully I was getting the train but ive never seen that road backed up on my commute

It's just that traffic seems to be heavier in general. I must admit that I do enjoy cycling past all the people stuck in their cars. I have no idea how anyone could sit in traffic like that without losing their minds.

Traffic always seems to be worse in September and October then gets quieter after the midterm until Christmas and is generally a bit quieter in the spring too, I don’t really know why though. Currently adding 5 to 10 mins to my drive to work but I wouldn’t fancy leaving home before 9am as I’ve heard from some that’s its very heavy at the moment between 8 and 9 on the approaches to the city.

I was very surprised how light traffic was going home at 6:30 last evening, it’s not too bad for me normally but it’s atill usually very heavy going the opposite direction and with the rain I was expecting carnage last night but it was the quietest I’ve seen since the summer, no hold ups and very few cars around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

donvito99 wrote: »
    Taxi men know this and don't care based on what I have witnessed on the Quays in Dublin at least.

They cannot believe that they are being slowed down -> dangerously close pass -> passed by same cyclist at next set of lights -> cannot believe they are being slowed down...

I cycle the quays - just take center lane, problem solved. You get to ignore the beeping after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

It's a service .
    That's the DIFFERANCE .
    Not everyone has a car . Sometimes people need to get somewhere faster than a bike or bus .
    Sometimes people have a lot of luggage that won't fit on a bike or they can't pull all the way down to a bus stop .
    Sometimes the elderly have doctor or hospital appointments and can't get a bus to either .
    It's a service .
    Like any service it comes with a price .
    As I've already said.... If we couldn't use bus lanes fares would be far more expensive .

So what you're saying is if I drive my elderly neighbour to the doctor, I should be able to use bus lanes? And if I'm going on holiday with lots of luggage, I should be able to use bus lanes? Or if I need to "get somewhere faster", I should be able to use bus lanes? Good to know.

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    So what you're saying is if I drive my elderly neighbour to the doctor, I should be able to use bus lanes? And if I'm going on holiday with lots of luggage, I should be able to use bus lanes? Or if I need to "get somewhere faster", I should be able to use bus lanes? Good to know.

That's right buffalo....
    Once you have done the Psv test .
    Once you have paid for the licence.
    Once you have paid Psv insurance ...
    Once you have all those go help your neighbours .... Good lad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement