Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property with no electricity for more than 2 years

Options
  • 30-09-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm looking at a buying a property in an estate that has been vacant for more than 2 years, during which time the electricity was turned off. From what I understand as it has been more than 2 years it has to be setup as a new connection.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this process and have a rough idea of the cost associated. I'm trying to get my head around some of the extra costs buying a property like this will incur.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

No idea on price , but the esb would be the ones that would be reconnecting if it's a new connection

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CryoSat

Yeah I have found the form/online application that has to be submitted to the ESB but that gives no indication of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The ESB charge by the distance they have to bring their cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There is a €150 reconnection fee. + €250 and up to a six month wait if the property has a prepay meter installed. If they decide it has been disconnected too long you need a registered electrician to recertify it, some won't and will want to rewire rather than sign off on someone else's work.

@Claw Hammer, this is where i'm a little unsure. The house is in an estate of 100+ houses and up to two years ago had electricity, still has a meter and an MPRN so I didn't think it would involve bringing cable to the house.

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »
    There is a €150 reconnection fee. + €250 and up to a six month wait if the property has a prepay meter installed. If they decide it has been disconnected too long you need a registered electrician to recertify it, some won't and will want to rewire rather than sign off on someone else's work.

Not a prepay meter thankfully but anything over 6 months requires the re-certification so already expecting that cost. Its the over 2 year/new connection that i'm struggling to find the information on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CryoSat wrote: »
    Not a prepay meter thankfully but anything over 6 months requires the re-certification so already expecting that cost. Its the over 2 year/new connection that i'm struggling to find the information on.

The has will have to be certified by a reci registered electrician.

They will not re connect unless the installation is proven to be safe for re connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CryoSat wrote: »
    I'm looking at a buying a property in an estate that has been vacant for more than 2 years, during which time the electricity was turned off. From what I understand as it has been more than 2 years it has to be setup as a new connection.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone through this process and have a rough idea of the cost associated. I'm trying to get my head around some of the extra costs buying a property like this will incur.

Thanks.

Went through this here. Not a huge cost. esb will guide you and explain so you need to call them. You have to get an inspection done before they will reconnect. There was delay here; I think they say up to 12 weeks. just a safety check so nothing major. Call esb?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

GarIT wrote: »

It had been empty and disconnected over 5 years here and all was well but had to be recertified ; no rewiring needed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

€150 reconnection fee sounds about right plus the cost of a sparky to recertify before ESB will reconnect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

It basically depends on how old the house is, if the house is old then it could need a complete rewire before it would be signed off on in order to get the connection back up and running.

If the property is old then it is far from straight forward, get someone to have a look at it and get a price before you purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

I did this a few years ago, electricity had been off for a few years. Electrican checks it over, signs the doc and you send it to esb. Mine was re-connected very quickly and the charge was very minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Aravo

The has will have to be certified by a reci registered electrician.

They will not re connect unless the installation is proven to be safe for re connection.

+1

So whatever the ESB bill is, this likely to be a bigger bill.

Advertisement