Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving on up ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

Great training fair play M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

13th-19th August: DCM week -11

The plan: 46miles to include 9miles with 7@MP, fartlek run, 18mile LSR
    Had lost Monday to finishing-off week -12, so was starting this week on Tuesday, hoping to get everything done by Sunday 18th.

Tuesday: 4.1miles easy @10:10 avg
    Neighbourhood loops in the evening

Wednesday: nothing
    Not as planned, I had intended to run today. I'm not sure why I bailed on it but it might have been the weather. Or maybe stuff to do for work.

Thursday: 1mile w/u, 7miles @MP, 1mile c/d
    Was not going to bail on this one, needed to get it done with a heavy mileage week and only 6days, not to mention I was travelling early the next morning. Was doing this on the meadows after work, stayed mostly on the tarmac (expect that was due to muddy trails). Was aiming for 9mpm as MP and what I got was 8:55, 8:58, 8:54, 8:56, 8:57, 9:00, 9:03, quite consistent though I slid off the pace a tiny bit towards the end. I think I could have done a few more.
    Ended up burning the midnight oil to finish a non-negotiable bit of work till 2:30am, so just as well I took the chance to do this when I did.

Friday: nothing
    Rail/Sail Edinburgh to Dublin. Was planning to do 6-7 miles when I arrived to my destination. However, was travelling on about 3hours sleep from the night before and was a bit knackered, I let it go ...

Saturday: 9miles easy @10:19 avg pace
    9 easy miles round Kimmage, Terenure, Rathfarnam, Milltown, Rathmines, Harold Cross, fairly enjoyable run though I was glad to be finishing up at 9miles. It was nice enough weather and as I came along Kimmage Road lower in the final mile I passed two young lads ... one of them had a can of Magners and he offered a sip "to stay hydrated" :pac:

Sunday: 2miles easy, 1mile fartlek, 1mile easy, 1mile fartlek, 2miles easy
    The plan for today had been the 18miler. Had missed the chance to get the week done in 6days after skipping Fridays run, now the best I could hope would be that the run pushed-to-Monday would only be a shorter run (with fartlek), so I'd be making progress. Had family coming over "at some stage" that afternoon, and a friend to meet later that eve in Ranelagh, texts were sent to encourage the family members across at an appropriate time to allow 3hours free for a run (no, I can't do my runs in the morning! ;)). After a while I realised how mad this was, not to mention how unlikely to work, and I did the 7miles with fartlek instead.
    Fartlek miles were 7:59 avg for the first and 8:13 avg for the second, was putting in a good hard effort. As often the second one was a bit slower but again, despite being on a different route in a different city, the first fartlek mile was as usual on a slight descent! (the stretch along the Dodder from Rathfarnam Cross to Upper Terenure). Happy enough with that.
    I hit 1000miles on this run. The 1000mile spreadsheet is now giving 1600miles estimate for 2019 on the spreadsheet and though I've been very wary of writing any "goals" in this log ... well, you know.

Monday: tough-enough 18miles LSR @10:23 avg pace
    Did this around South Dublin, and the main thing about this run was that it was harder than expected - was on a less hilly route than my usual but I was starting to feel the legs flagging at 10-11miles as I came up from Ranelagh into Rathmines and towards Rathgar. I'd come out without any jelly-babies or other fuel, but I had some money on me so I had my eye out for a shop at this point .... not pleased to see the Centra near Rathgar church is now a posh Furniture store!!! :( It wasn't too much further to Rathgar village and I stopped at the Super Valu and bought a can of Club Orange and drank it before heading off again. Also bought a mini-fudge for later.
    After starting again I began to feel a bit better and was able to do the remaining 6-and-a-half miles through Mount Carmel, Dodder, Upper Terenure, Kimmage, and then the last mile and a half as a little out and back near Harolds Cross Park - that last little bit was tough, I was very happy as I hit the 17mile point and only had 1 more mile to grind out.
    When I was struggling I did consider cutting this back to about 13miles (the LSR for the upcoming week) and pushing the 18miles to Thursday. I don't like to stop part-way through a run. Am glad now I didn't truncate the run and that I have this out of the way.

weekly total: 47.4miles with 9 w 7MP run, 18miles LSR, fartlek run
    *all done* (plus an extra mile) and though it slid onto the following Monday, it still got done in 7 days. The next week is a cut-back of 35miles and I believe I should be able to bring it in in 6days and get things back on plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Well done getting the miles in on top of what seemed a very busy week !

A can of club orange ???? Was that a craving whilst in Dublin or is this a regular thing ?

I can imagine it been thirst quenching whilst drinking it but afterwards not so sure !

Bluesquare wrote: »
    Well done getting the miles in on top of what seemed a very busy week !

A can of club orange ???? Was that a craving whilst in Dublin or is this a regular thing ?

It was the perfect combination of fluid and sugar (and bubbles!). There is Club Orange in the UK too.

I looked at the back of the Fanta too and chose the Club Orange because it had a bit more sugar. I do think it made a difference for the final 6miles.

Still miss full-sugar Lucozade for these emergency situations....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Well done on the LSR and if memory serves me right there is no "training loss" with a Club Orange stop....but it has to be Club Orange. 1,000 miles......Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

A super week, well done! You're putting in great training lately. That MP run looks so consistent - great to have under your belt.

I hit 1000miles on this run. The 1000mile spreadsheet is now giving 1600miles estimate for 2019 on the spreadsheet and though I've been very wary of writing any "goals" in this log ... well, you know.
    I didn't even know there was an 'estimate' feature! *Runs off to look*
    Congrats again on hitting 1000! Great week for it ;)

Is there someone with a Club Orange 'habit' on this thread, I wonder ....

Thanks for the 1000mile 'kudo's, Denis and Eyrie, fingers crossed I can keep it going. Denis, looks like those mini-runs are going well, will not be long for you.

19th-26th Aug: DCM week -10

the plan: 35miles with 13mile LSR, 8miles with 6MP
    Nice easy little cutback week :). Again starting this week on a Tuesday, as last week's LSR only got done on Monday 19th.... the hope was that with only 35miles to do, that I would finish on Sunday this week, and back on track (that did not happen)

Tuesday: nothing as planned

Was still in Dublin. Not sure why, think I shifted the run to the evening and then no longer in the mood.

Thursday: 13miles LSR @10:04 avg pace
    Doing the LSR *early* this week as I was flying to Italy on Saturday and knew that running would be tricky once there. Headed out for a nice flat LSR round South Dublin in the evening, feeling great to 'only' have 13miles to do. No struggles or heavy legs this evening, the legs were light and the slightly-quicker pace was comfortable.
    Discovered after uploading onto Strava that I had passed Huzzah walking to the Ranelagh Luas.

Friday: nothing
    Visit North to a troublesome Aunt, then back to Dublin to meet a friend for dinner. I'd planned to run after dinner, but when it came to it I could not be bothered.

Saturday: 1mile w/u, 3miles MP, 4miles c/d
    This was intended to have 6MP miles but was not to be. It was a sunny day and I only headed out at 11:30 and even after a couple of MP miles I was sweating. The effort was getting harder as I continued in the sun, and I decided I would let myself off with just 4MP, but coming up to the end of the 3rd one I was struggling and I knew that would be it. I actually stopped the watch for 1min to take a standing break before I started off again, and did 4 easy miles. Temperature was 22C when I checked back at the house (had also thrown up at midnight the night before, so possibly that could have been part of the trouble). MP miles were 9:01, 8:47, 8:58.

Sunday: nothing
    Travelling in Italy, nothing was done.

Monday: 6.1miles @10:17 avg pace
    Was staying near the Thermal energy village of Larderello in Tuscany for a few days, today I had a window for an early morning run and took advantage. Had an experience of getting lost in Italy a few years ago (in Rome) so was playing it safe and did these as a few 1mile-out, 1mile-backs near the apartment. Quite hilly in fact. I started at 9am but it was already pretty warm, it was hard in the sunshine and I walked some steps on an uphill in mile 5. Took a photo of the thermal energy towers.
    Really I should have been aiming for 12-13miles this morning, but only had an hour. Could not really push the extra miles to Tuesday, that would be getting out of hand, so I ended up 8miles short of the planned 35.

weekly total: 27.1miles incl 13miles LSR, 3miles MP mini-session

27th-2nd Sept: DCM week -9

the plan: 47miles incl 18mile LSR, 10miles with 8@MP, run with 2fartlek miles

Tuesday: nothing
    As expected. Still in Tuscany and time was tight. Shopping to do :)

Wednesday: nothing, not as planned
    Flew into Edinburgh this lunchtime, I hoped to head out for 5-7miles this evening but was too lazy, too disorganised, too frazzled.

Thursday: 18miles LSR @10:38 avg pace (1450ft ascent)
    I have a HM coming up on the 7th September, so I wanted to make sure to get this weeks LSR done early, so as not to affect the race. Despite the frazzled-ness I managed to plan a bit, and got out of the office at 4:45pm to do the 18miles. As usual I was doing this in Holyrood Park, nice cool sunshine. I had to deviate out of the park after 4miles to find a toilet, then ran back in and did some more loops of the park. I should have had fresh legs after the two days off but I wasn't feeling as energetic as I expected - I walked some steps on an ascent around the 8mile point and later walked some steps (round 11-12 miles) on a lesser ascent. I had gone out with a supply of jelly babies and took some at 10miles, then 13-14miles, but they didn't help too much. Around 14miles I made a decision to come out of the park a bit early and finish the run on flatter terrain. Even still I felt I was grinding out the last few miles, legs felt heavy (though the pace didn't drop).
    Not sure what that was about - there was a bit of a wind but nothing major. And a good bit of ascent but less than usual on my LSRs if anything. Both of the 18milers have been difficult.

Friday: 7 miles easy @10:54 avg pace
    Run done after 7pm, was not remotely keen but of course I had loads of miles to catch up on after taking Tuesday and Wednesday off. I did this on tarmac from my flat, and finished up at the Thai takeaway.

Saturday: 7miles easy @10:44 avg pace
    Watching UTMB via online streaming. I had been planning to do the 10miles w 8MP this evening but was worried the effects of the 18miles Thursday would hamper the pace. So I decided to push the MP session to Sunday, and to drop the fartlek from Mondays's 5mile run (since didn't want to have two sessions back to back). So this evening I just did 7miles easy on the meadows trails and it was enjoyable. The legs were good and I felt like I was moving at a good clip so I was surprised by the slower pace a couple of times when glancing at the watch. But happy to keep it properly easy.

Sunday: 1mile w/u, 8@MP, 1mile c/d
    Was not at all sure how this would go and was trying to eat and drink a good bit through the day to have myself well-recovered in advance. I was a bit reluctant, still worried the 18miles would be hiding in the legs. But I got off to a good start and after the 1st MP mile I had the feeling this would go well ... and it did, I got 8:57, 8:57, 8:52, 8:52, 8:52, 8:55, 9:00, 8:53 for the MP. Still don't have a great 'feel' from what MP is, the earlier part of some miles was wrong a few times (mostly too quick), I was hoping to pull back some of those middle miles but after that the aim was to have all the remaining miles within the 5sec window... so was a bit disappointed in the 9:00 for that reason. But overall very happy with this and felt I could have done a few more MP. Best of all I was not at all tired after, felt it took nothing out of me. It was only 13C which will also have helped.

Monday: Yoga class, 5miles easy @10:20 avg pace
    More alert this morning than any Monday morning in *ages*. Still I delayed doing the run. I did some (very) late night neighbourhood loops to get all the mileage for the week finished.

weekly total: 47.1miles :) incl 18miles LSR, 10miles w 8MP run

Very happy with how this week went. One thing that continues to give trouble is the gastric coughing, running definitely aggravates it but I have been putting up with it (much) too long. So need to make a GP appointment so I am not coughing through DCM (and also maybe we will get to the bottom of it this time, let's see). It's a nuisance.

The plan for next week is 35miles to include a HM race.
    I am planning to break this up as 7miles easy Wednesday (done), 5miles easy Thurs, nothing Friday, 1mile w/u + HM + 1mile c/d Saturday ... and then 8miles easy on Sunday. I am not sure what to aim for on Saturday as I haven't done any faster stuff in ages - would hope to match/beat the March result of 1hr 49 (so about 8:20 pace), or even knock a couple of minutes off. Will aim for around 8:30 for the first mile and see how that feels. Will not be devastated if I am slower than the time from March ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Best of luck with the HM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good luck for the HM M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

That's a serious week there! I wouldn't worry at all about the 18 milers feeling difficult, I think that's to be expected. Also marathon training is weird - I remember having a brutal 16 miler last year that had me questioning everything, and then did a 20 miler that was (relatively speaking :) ) grand. But on any given day you can be tired and feeling the cumulative fatigue more.
    Good luck in the half!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Great training going on here.

Re the 18m, you flew the day before and that would have an impact that you might not have allowed for. But you got it done and it will stand to you.

I take it the plan is sub 4 for Dublin?

Good luck with the HM on Saturday, I'll be watching strava for the update :D

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Best of luck with the HM.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Good luck for the HM M.
    eyrie wrote: »
    That's a serious week there! I wouldn't worry at all about the 18 milers feeling difficult, I think that's to be expected. Also marathon training is weird - I remember having a brutal 16 miler last year that had me questioning everything, and then did a 20 miler that was (relatively speaking :) ) grand. But on any given day you can be tired and feeling the cumulative fatigue more.
    Good luck in the half!
    Younganne wrote: »
    Great training going on here.

Re the 18m, you flew the day before and that would have an impact that you might not have allowed for. But you got it done and it will stand to you.

I take it the plan is sub 4 for Dublin?

Good luck with the HM on Saturday, I'll be watching strava for the update :D

Thank you all for the nice comments and the Good Lucks :)

YA, yes tentative plan is sub-4hr for Dublin. Am going to wait to see how the HM goes before committing though.

Best of luck with the HM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Good luck tomorrow!

Best of luck with the HM
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow!

Thank you both! We'll see how it goes. Not going to over-stress or over-think this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great run tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Best of luck tomorrow:D

Have a great run tomorrow. All those hill miles will certainly stand to you as the run progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

All the best!

• Advertisement

Best of luck tomorrow:D
    denis b wrote: »
    Have a great run tomorrow. All those hill miles will certainly stand to you as the run progresses.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    All the best!

Thank you all, it went quite well, paced myself well and felt strong throughout - result was 1:49:07 which is a marginal PB. Might have preferred a minute or two less but was a positive race and the sub-4 is still the goal. Denis, you have a point, I think I had some extra strength there for this HM.

Report to follow when I get a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Thank you all, it went quite well, paced myself well and felt strong throughout - result was 1:49:07 which is a marginal PB. Might have preferred a minute or two less but was a positive race and the sub-4 is still the goal. Denis, you have a point, I think I had some extra strength there for this HM.

Report to follow when I get a bit of time.

A PB is a PB ;) well done!

First the month totals for July and August - had not bothered putting it up after July but August was excellent, highest ever month total (by a way). Not looking so good for September at this point, however there was a good HM raced earlier in the month.

Month|2013|2014|2015|2016|2017|2018|2019
    January|55|85|70|49|29|55| 145
    February|69|9|96|30|44|76| 138
    March|53|57|134|61|98|106| 136
    April|85|61|85|40|118|55| 92
    May|65|71|145|26|116|48| 118
    June|51|43|89|7|0|93|156
    July|25|99 |79|76|7|127|128
    August|84|120|26.5|97|15|107|176
    September|18|131|0|85|47|116|
    October|83|0|15|95|49|114|
    November|78|3|62.5|103|2|130|
    December|53|56|86|111|29|131|
    Total|719|735|888|780|554|1158|1089

3th- 8th September: DCM week -8

the plan: 35miles with HM race
    Aim of course being to keep things really easy in advance of the race. Week starting on Tuesday due to Monday having been 'donated' to week -9 as happens sometimes ;)

Tuesday: nothing
    The plan will have been to head out Tuesday no doubt.

Wednesday: 7miles easy, 10:45 avg pace
    In the evening, mostly trails.

Thursday: 5miles with 5 strides in last mile, avg pace 10:11
    Neighbourhood loops done easy, then the last mile faster (obviously) because of the strides. This was done at 7pm when there were plenty of people round, some guys stepped back on the path on my 1st and 2nd stride and watched me go past and commented among themselves (think it was positive, but they were speaking in another language so can't be sure).

Friday: resting the legs

Saturday: Ayr half-marathon (1:49:07)
    I had travelled to the West Coast of Scotland to do this one, 1.5hours on the train on a lovely sunny afternoon. Race start not till 5pm, perfect for me.
    We started off in the sunshine on the promenade in Ayr, a lovely sunny evening but not too hot (around 15C), hardly any wind. I had checked my bag and just had some jelly babies in my shorts, but never even took them out until after the race. The legs were feeling light and the body rested. Plan was to start around 8:30 pace or even slower and then see if it was feasible to continue to 8:15 for most of the race … or even a bit quicker. PB from 5years back (and maybe from March this year as well, if I can be sure about that route) is 1:49:30 or so, was hoping to be a minute or two under that, but wanted to feel things out.
    mile 1 (8:09): Few blocks round the top of the promenade, I was doing a comfortable pace, waited a while to check the watch, it was 8:35 or so. Made sure to keep it easy, looked again - faster ... try to back off a small bit, look again ... faster. Then a little bump before the end of this mile - despite that overall pace was 8:09. I had broken my pace rule but I was feeling absolutely comfortable.
    mile 2, 7:59: Same kind of thing again, it was strange (but good) to look down part-way through and see the watch well-below 8mins and feeling really comfortable. Vindication of the run-slow-to-get-faster thing, had a little smile to myself.
    mile 3, 8:26: The looping ended and we headed out through town to head south, it was not as easy as the initial miles (looking now I can see a little bit of ascent on the profile) and I was wondering whether I’d overdone it. Maybe I’d been too casual about the heat (yes, it was only 15C ;)) and was going to pay the price...
    mile 4, 8:08: A bit slow at the start of this mile. After a while we turned off the main road into a housing estate and I started picking the pace up a bit. There were two friends running together alongside me, just before 4miles one of them dropped back and told her friend to continue alone. I kept my eye on the faster friend in black singlet and shorts, was hoping to use her as a marker as we continued.
    mile 5, 8:20: Back on the main road, again losing a bit of time in the first half of this, the girl in the black outfit was getting further away, tried to pick it up after that and the overall pace not too bad. I was doing some calculations and knew this was still ok, but was worried if I could keep it up.
    mile 6: 8:45: Turned left just as this mile started and there was an uphill drag and I backed off a bit. Knew I was losing time and it was confirmed when I glanced down at the watch after a few minutes and saw 9:xx, I was very disappointed.... About halfway through the mile it levelled out a bit and I was able to push a bit more so in the end the mile was not as dreadful as it might have been.
    mile 7: 8:17 "the one where I start passing people":
    We went into a park early in this mile, a short little section on trail. Somehow I had caught up to the woman in the black outfit and I passed her before we turned back onto tarmac. There was another runner just ahead of me at this point, it took a while to catch up with him but I did, passed him too :). We were continuing up a stretch of road and I could see about 5 runners ahead, one in a luminous yellow shirt, and just ahead of him three guys running together ahead of him, one in a Newton runners shirt. Took me a good while to work my way to the guy in luminous yellow, he ran alongside me for a while, then dropped off. Soon after I came past the three runners together, they dropped immediately, then one of them caught back up.
    mile 8: 8:27: Twisty little turn here and was briefly caught by one of the three, but I dropped him again early in this mile. Then we were going up another drag (and pace slowing), I could see a girl in pink T-shirt with a trail backback ahead. A slower mile pace because of the bit of ascent. I was getting a bit confused by the variability in pace, so I had decided that I’d hold it steady and only push in the final 3 miles.
    mile 9: 8:17: Had been seeing the trail runner in pink ahead for ages now, but I caught her at the top of a drag at the start of this mile. “Well done” as I went past, the only person who commented as I passed them. Bits of downhill in the mile as I continued and a nicer pace.
    mile 10: 8:48: Now the biggest drag of the race, it went on for quite a while and it was depressing looking ahead at it. Passed a couple near the start of the drag, but they were walking, doesn’t even count. I was following a guy in a EMF T-shirt most of the way up the drag, was not expecting to catch him but I did eventually, overtook him just before the top. We had a 360 degree turn here at 9.7 and I was able to pick up a bit of pace for the rest of the mile, passed a guy in a red T-shirt here, he didn’t speak but he turned a with a surprised look as I went past. Was thinking that with just three miles to go we must be due a bit of descent for the last few miles. At least I was hoping ...
    mile 11: 8:06: A lovely welcome mostly-downhill mile, we were now on some cycle-paths with fields either side. I was happy to pick the pace up a bit and I passed a couple of runners here, then later passed a shirtless runner on a mini-climb near the end of the mile. We were coming towards the coast now and there was a ruined tower and nice cropped fields shining yellow under the sun. I was just about good enough to admire it :).
    mile 12: 8:02: Mini-downhill at the start of this mile, I glanced down early on and the watch was showing 7:xx, nice to see that in the late stages of the race. The rest of the mile was mostly flat, we were getting closer to the sea now and I passed a couple of people here, one girl in a pink Triathlon shirt.
    mile 13: 8:08: We were coming up to the promenade now and I was pushing a bit but still feeling strong. Some spectators cheering here in the lovely local accent. I was still passing people, I took 5 runners in this last mile. Towards the end I was chasing down another woman in a black outfit but she seemed strong and I was mainly using her to pull me along.
    “bit”: 7:57 pace: She put in an extra spurt at the end and got away from me but I kept going and was happy to finish with 1:49:07 on the watch ... and the “net time” on the website exactly the same.

Should put in a disclaimer here that the total ascent was under 400ft, despite the drags and bumps and hills mentioned above :rolleyes:

A marginal PB, but a a good experience - I was working but I was also in control, even to the end. I passed about 20-25 runners in the second half, not a single one passed me :). Was not tired that night or the day after, and apart from slightly tight calves, no after effects. Was describing all this to someone last week, and he thought I went out too slow, but I don't think I would have been much faster, just more miserable. Think the feeling good after was strength from marathon training rather than unused speed.

Sunday: 7.9miles easy @10:53 avg pace
    Legs and body were feeling fine, and I had miles to make up, so did this in the evening.

weekly total: 33.3miles
    Little bit off the planned mileage but had managed to finish the week on Sunday for once!

9th-15th September: DCM week -7

the plan: 38miles with 15mile LSR
    I was feeling really good after the HM, so hopeful to get all these miles done; however, also dealing with horrible backlog at work ...

Monday: nothing as planned
    Though I probably went to Yoga at lunchtime I think. Not sure now.

Tuesday: 7miles @10:43 avg pace
    Evening run round Holyrood Park and surroundings (as usual!)

Likely stuck in the office till late, I would expect anyway

Thursday: 8miles @10:52 avg pace
    Another evening run, Holyrood Park and a loop through the interior as well, was fairly hilly and at least 5miles on grass/trail. I had gone out a bit later than planned and the sun was going down in the final miles, had a tricky section on lumpy trails in the last mile ... and should not really have done it. Will need to take the headtorch for these expeditions in future.

Friday, Saturday: nothing
    Frazzled with work.

Sunday: hilly 16miles @10:47 avg pace
    Still up to my eyes in undone work but set aside time for this, and left in sufficient time to avoid the darkness (mostly!). Mostly in Holyrood park, loops and little 'interior loops', happy to get it done. Think all limbs were still feeling good but can't remember for sure.

weekly total: 31.1.miles
    So 7miles off the plan. I hoped to do it the day after (foolish me)

16th-22th September: DCM week -6

the plan: 47miles with 10w8MP, run with 2fartlek miles, 19mile LSR
    Though I could *never* have believed I'd fall so short....

Monday: nothing
    (though this originally was planned to be the catch-up day for last week). Worked late, no run done.

Tuesday, Wednesday: nothing
    Up early Tuesday for work travel (no glamour here, midlands of England my destination ;) ). Was still a bit destroyed after the previous days and had the sense not to bother packing my trainers. Had planned to run when I got back to Edinburgh on Wednesday evening but wasn't feeling 100%, had eaten something I think, so left it.
    One of my colleagues at the meeting is a great runner and we had a good discussion about our training (as usual!), he had done a HM the same w/e as me but about 28mins faster ....

Thursday: nothing
    Trying to catch up with the work backlog.

Friday: 1mile w/u, 4miles MP, 1mile c/d
    Did this after work. I can't remember for sure why it was only 4MP (after all the plan had been 8MP this week), I suspect probably general f-ed off-ness and letting myself off the hook. Have no memory of niggles but can't be sure.

Saturday, Sunday: nothing
    Catching up on sleep, relaxing. The Sunday laziness was particularly bad as I was back to action by then, but it was that thing of the week ruined anyway.

weekly total: 6miles
    Could nearly cry reading that now. It was done in that sense of 'feck it' and it was only one week (extra, there had been one back in July too), and I would get stuck-in again to proper training this week ... except now I have a bit of plantar fasciitis interfering with plans. Particularly annoyed about the missed weekend runs as I might have noticed the trouble a few days earlier if I'd gone out.
    Will see how the weekend (and next week) goes before writing off DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

How are you treating the planter? I've had what I thought was it, maybe it wasn't, I don't know, but definitely felt rolling a tennis ball on my foot helped.

Today's 8 miles seemed to go ok?

As for a "lost" week, it's nothing in the 18 week block of training, if all is ok with the planter, don't chase any miles and write it off.

The half marathon race report was excellent ! Well done on the result you looked strong - those hills are going to stand to you ! Hopefully the plantar will resolve itself and it was only a minor blip.

The half marathon race report was excellent ! Well done on the result you looked strong - those hills are going to stand to you ! Hopefully the plantar will resolve itself and it was only a minor blip.

Thanks - I had made notes a day or two after the race, was not recalling all the Tshirts etc 3weeks later. Will play it by ear on the PF and we'll see.
    Dealerz2.0 wrote: »
    How are you treating the planter? I've had what I thought was it, maybe it wasn't, I don't know, but definitely felt rolling a tennis ball on my foot helped.

The thing that seems to have had the best effect is the "plantar stretch" the physio gave, the one in this link, holding about 30secs.
    https://www.upstep.com/en/stretching-plantar-fascia.html

I have done some foot rolling on a hockey ball (*oooowwww*) and bits of self-massage too
    Today's 8 miles seemed to go ok?

As for a "lost" week, it's nothing in the 18 week block of training, if all is ok with the planter, don't chase any miles and write it off.

No I won't chase the miles, I have a bit more sense with these things these days. Today's run was mostly good, had a bit of heel soreness but it eased out after the first couple of miles and continued to improve through the run. That was different to what happened earlier this week (getting worse as I continued) so maybe a good sign.

Really enjoyed that report and a great credit to all your work. No doubt you have remembered that too and I have never got through an 18 week block without a stumble of a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super run there M. Fantastic to get a PB here again and put any doubt over the March PB well & truly to bed! Hopefully the foot issue will resolve itself and you'll get going again for the final push! You've a super training block behind you now, every reason to be very confident for D-Day.

• Advertisement

Going to skate through the final weeks of DCM training, short story is that very little was done.

23rd-29th September: DCM week -5

plan: 49miles to include 19mile LSR, 11miles w9MP

Had let the running fall by the wayside the previous week, now was trying to get some real training in. Was aiming to get the 11miles w 9@MP early in the week.

Tuesday: 1mile w/u, 3miles MP, 0.5miles c/d
    Went out to do this in the evening, was raining a bit, as the run continued the rain got heavier. Managed to do 3MP at 8:56, 8:57, 9:00, at that point the problem was not the torrential rain but a more pressing matter, ran straight back to base in a panic.
    Think I did notice some heel soreness on this run, but took no notice as it was mild.

Wednesday: 1mile w/u, 4miles MP, 1mile c/d
    Second attempt for the MP session (9:02, 9:03, 8:58, 9:03), this time it was the sore heel that cut things short and after this I knew I had a problem. Doing a bit of Googling seemed like plantar fasciitis.

Have had a problem with my right shoulder for a few months now and had finally booked a physio appointment (my first in 18months), at the end of the session I got her to take a look at the heel and yes, plantar fasciitis, she suggested some stretches and rolling on a ball. She didn't say I needed to stop running, though I hadn't asked, I was out the door before I realised maybe I should have asked :rolleyes: and then I kind of tactically decided not to go back and raise the question.

Saturday: 16miles cycling
    Didn't have a lot of time, just 16miles on the bike.

Sunday: 8miles easy @9:50 avg pace
    The heel was feeling good for walking so I decided to try a slightly longer run. Very much trying to take advantage of PF being something that you can 'manage' and still run, and desperate to get some miles in. Did this on a flatter route that usual to play it safe.
    Had just a bit of slight discomfort during the run, but was again a bit sore the next day.

weekly total: 18.5miles with 8mile 'L'SR, 16miles cycling

30th-6th October: DCM week -4

plan: 49miles with 19mile LSR, 11miles w 9MP, run with 2fartlek miles

Heel still continuing to give trouble, got some advice on icing from one of the people in work after he saw me doing my stretches. He damaged his fascia ceili-dancing some time back and it took him months to rehab it.

Tuesday: 6miles easy @10:43 easy
    Heel fairly good on this one.

Wednesday: 1mile w/u, 6miles MP, 1mile c/d
    Still trying to chase down the plan and maybe not being as sensible as I should with the running. Was hoping to get in 9MP but was feeling the heel a bit sore, so cut it short. Noticed the fitness seemed to have dropped a bit today, and the MP miles were a bit slow at 9:08, 9:03, 9:06, 9:11, 9:04, 9:02.

Friday: 8.3miles mixed-terrain run @10:42 avg

Saturday: 4.8miles easy @10-ish avg pace
    I was needing to get back to the flat to watch Ciara Mageean in the 1500m and did a bit less than the 5miles.

weekly total: 27miles with 8mile 'L'SR
    Actually better than I thought, though way off the plan. I know I had planned to do a 'proper long run' on the Sunday and I'm not sure why it got dropped but I suspect it was a mix of the heel being delicate and the weather rubbish. Work was very busy these weeks so I suppose it could have been that - also the work schedule definitely affecting stretching/icing etc, think things might have rehabbed more promptly if I'd spent more time on that.

7th-13th October: DCM week -3

plan: 38miles with 14mile LSR, 8miles w6MP

Of course I was no longer working to the original plan. I was to be away at the weekend on a hiking weekend and hoping my foot would be ok for that. But *also* intending to get in a proper-long-run midweek sometime, it would be my last chance. And hoping to do the MP session too.

Monday: 1mile w/u, 5miles MP, 1.5miles c/d
    In the evening from the office, MP miles as 9:10, 9:00, 8:49, 8:55, 8:59.

Wednesday: 6.7miles easy @10:45 avg pace
    Playing it by ear and there is still heel discomfort to deal with.

Thursday: 90mins spin
    Had a last vestige of hope I could go out and do a proper long run this afternoon. But the heel was still niggling and even if it stood up to a LSR, would I be able to hike at the weekend after doing that, hmmm ...
    Had an outbreak of common sense and realised that the chance of DCM was small, and anyway my best chance would be to back off the running and do a bit of cross-training instead. Went to the gym and did 1hr 30 on the bike instead of a run.

Saturday: 8mile hike
    Staying in Gairloch on the NW coast of Scotland. Had been pretty impressed with the foot the previous evening and was getting some good stretching in. Tried a short-enough low-level hike which took ages because of a stony path and lots of muck, however the foot held up very well.

Sunday: 10mile hike with 3750ft ascent
    A proper hike today doing the two western summits of Beinn Eighe. Perfect conditions and good-though-not-perfect behaviour from the foot (but it was having to do ascent which it didn't have the previous day). Was a long day and I was telling myself it would be great 'time-on-feet' training for the marathon even if not running :pac:. More stretching that evening.
    https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/torridon/Beinneighe.shtml

weekly total: 14.2miles, 90mins spin, two day hikes
    Not a lot of running, but plenty was done. Also finished the week with the foot feeling better than it had been.

Advertisement