Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst day ever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭victor8600

bitofabind wrote: »
    Rehearsal dinner is in 70 minutes.....

I think a rehearsal dinner is a BS, but if you think it is important, videocall your friend on WhatsApp/Viber and rehearse whatever you need to say. You can eat the dinner later.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Reality
    10.jpg

Imagination

waiting-for-help-picture-id185078419?k=6&m=185078419&s=612x612&w=0&h=15uM9RwixdigkIZkBwFXZhNmFAF6khtZzHLSp-lCAuM=

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

The wheel is ****ed is the official diagnosis. Suspension is broken, not safe to drive so currently being towed to a nearby garage where I’ll take a taxi to the hotel.

Thanks frinegirl for the perspective providing post!

PS yes I am hot, I’ll be a proper ride tomorrow in my bridesmaid dress if the bride doesn’t fire me for being an eejit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

The wheel is ****ed is the official diagnosis. Suspension is broken, not safe to drive so currently being towed to a nearby garage where I’ll take a taxi to the hotel.

Thanks frinegirl for the perspective providing post!

PS yes I am hot, I’ll be a proper ride tomorrow in my bridesmaid dress if the bride doesn’t fire me for being an eejit

Big promises, you talk the talk but do you walk the walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you're that hot I'm sure many of us on here could have picked you up and given you a ride

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Hopefully you'll Go out the wedding night with a big bang...

All jokes aside, enjoy your weekend and thanks for the entertainment for the last hour :)

I believe the “rehearsal” part refers to the priest given a “run through” of what’s going to happen on the day,

The dinner is just the family, and wedding “party”, having a nice meal after.

Who pays for that? Have to say I don't like the sound of that at all Emmet. Blowing an average of 20k to dress up like Peaky Blinders on a one-day bender in a hotel off the N7 is bad enough, now this? No. Enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just dont accept a lift off a kinda odd local driving a pick up.
    It could turn into wolf creek ireland style!
    Worst day ever then, no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 skylikemake

I'll pray for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,831 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I used to know a girl who lived in a wheel, but she got a puncture, so she now lives in a flat .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Who pays for that? Have to say I don't like the sound of that at all Emmet. Blowing an average of 20k to dress up like Peaky Blinders on a one-day bender in a hotel off the N7 is bad enough, now this? No. Enough.

some scants, you expect your family and close friends to turn out for something and you won't throw in a bitta dinner

Most people have an old run through so they don't make a tit of themselves on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My best friend is getting married tomorrow. I’m driving down to the location in the west of Ireland. Hit a curb about 20 minutes and am sitting on a hard shoulder with a wonky tyre that is undriveable waiting for my insurance to send a local mechanic.

Rehearsal dinner is in 70 minutes. I’m hot, sweaty, traffic is cat and about 50 mins away even if the car was driveable.

Hey AH. Please entertain me...

Get out of car and change the wheel.. are you serious about a mechanic coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

lawred2 wrote: »
    Get out of car and change the wheel.. are you serious about a mechanic coming out?

Oh right ya, good tip there problem solved!

It’s a mechanical problem with the wheel that’s gonna cost me about a grand, that’s for the helpful advice though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

some scants, you expect your family and close friends to turn out for something and you won't throw in a bitta dinner

Most people have an old run through so they don't make a tit of themselves on the day

and rather nice to have a quiet meal with just the main folk without the crowd there will be at the wedding.

Well sort of difficult when she mangled the suspension and even if wheel was changed it wouldn't have been drivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

A lot of cars now don't even have spare wheel anymore just a can of some gunge that is supposed to inflate the wheel.

The op says it herself she is hot and a ride......

Enough said....

Drool

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I couldn't change a tyre and have no interest in learning. Breakdown assistance on my insurance would cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I couldn't change a tyre and have no interest in learning. Breakdown assistance on my insurance would cover it.

If you want to wait 2 hours
    Get a wee trolley Jack and away you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

To be fair, it doesn't require a whole lot of learning. Loosen wheel-nuts, jack car up, remove and replace wheel. Done. Ten minutes, max. It's a dirty job though - I can fully understand why someone wouldn't be arsed doing it themselves, especially if it's covered by their insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

cjmc wrote: »
    If you want to wait 2 hours
    Get a wee trolley Jack and away you go

I'll wait, I'd do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

If you're that hot I'm sure many of us on here could have picked you up and given you a ride

You would get 2 rides because she would need a rehearsal ride first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

What is there to practice and how could you make a tit of yourself?

1. Arrive at chapel/registry office.
    2. Best man has rings.
    3. Ceremony. 'I do'. 'I don't'.
    4. Kiss.
    5. Photos.
    6. Meal.
    7. Speeches.
    8. Dance the night away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Naggdefy wrote: »
    What is there to practice and how could you make a tit of yourself?

1. Arrive at chapel/registry office.
    2. Best man has rings.
    3. Ceremony. 'I do'. 'I don't'.
    4. Kiss.
    5. Photos.
    6. Meal.
    7. Speeches.
    8. Dance the night away.

9.And the ride

tipptom wrote: »
    9.And the ride

I like a good ride....

Regarding not being able to change a wheel or wanting to learn, I don't get it. So simple. Bit of tyre blackness on your hands which is easily cleaned off with any old rag in your car or boot.

Some people really haven't hands to wipe their ar*e.

The big topic of the moment is climate change. If it's to be reversed people are going to have to be able to do a bit of manual work. No calling out extra machines burning more fuel etc.

That's the reality.

I like a good ride....

Maybe they need practice at the ride and not the dinner..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Regarding not being able to change a wheel or wanting to learn, I don't get it. So simple. Bit of tyre blackness on your hands which is easily cleaned off with any old rag in your car or boot.

Not always that easy if the last person who changed it went a bit overboard with the airgun.

Also not a great idea if it happened on a bad stretch of road with poor visibility or limited space.

I had a tyre blow out once on the M3 late evening. No chance was I gonna go changing tyres with cars passing at 120 km/h+ in twilight . Was quite happy to wait for the big truck with all the amber lights. It's included in the insurance, so why not use it?

There's no sense in being too flaithiúlach over one small day. I was at a very nice wedding a couple of years ago in a small country church in Laois. Only about 40 guests, no photographer, and the dress code was smart casual -- strictly no ties or gowns. The party was buffet, held in a small local hotel with a marquee. It definitely cost less than 10k in total, and it was the prettiest and most enjoyable wedding I've ever been to.

I cannot understand the appeal of those monster affairs, where people have huge, corporate weddings in soul-less hotels on the edges of industrial parks. Why would you put yourself through that?

Someone earlier mentioned that rehearsal dinners are nicer, because it's just close friends and family.

Here's an idea lads! Just move the rehearsal dinner to the main day, and make that your wedding breakfast!! Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

To be fair, it doesn't require a whole lot of learning. Loosen wheel-nuts, jack car up, remove and replace wheel. Done. Ten minutes, max. It's a dirty job though - I can fully understand why someone wouldn't be arsed doing it themselves, especially if it's covered by their insurance.

I know how to and used to do it all but while the spirit is willing the body is adamant … NO WAY!

Advertisement