Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Branded vs own brand milk: who gets the premium price?

Options
  • 27-09-2019 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭

I always buy Dunnes/Tesco milk as it's typically 50-70c cheaper than Avonmore/Premier per 2L. I think the own brand from these stores tastes just the same. I don't buy Lidl/Aldi own brand, as this tastes inferior. I believe it comes from the North.

I've always assumed that the Dunnes/Tesco milk probably came from the same dairies as the branded milk. Can anybody tell me if this is true? Also, if in pay the big premium for the brand, who's making the excess? Do farmers receive any more from branded buyers, or it's it somebody else up the supply chain that creams it (so to speak).

Need to know as I'm about to move in with my GF who always buys branded. I think this issue could be a deal breaker. Need to have my facts ready.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Why does it matter to you or your girlfriend who makes the profit?

Don't know about dairy products but my sister in law worked in a meat factory and she said they had the same meat going to Tesco, M&S and Lidl. Only difference was the packaging.

Easiest way to prove it would be buy both and do a blind taste test, if you're that bothered.

All milk comes from the same dairies & is packaged into different containers for different shops.
    There is a number in the package to identify where it comes from IE...... Whatever number.

FYI, butter is the same, as is ice cream etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

irish_goat wrote: »

Don't know about dairy products but my sister in law worked in a meat factory and she said they had the same meat going to Tesco, M&S and Lidl. Only difference was the packaging.

Easiest way to prove it would be buy both and do a blind taste test, if you're that bothered.
    The same thing applies to the likes of jams, biscuits etc, where they may tweak the recipe just a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I might see a reason to agree to pay a premium if I knew farmers were getting a better price. I don't imagine they do, so I'm not inclined to pay the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I personally don’t notice the difference with Lidl milk - except the price ! I know for a fact that golden vale did spar milk , don’t know if that’s still the case but they did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

That's like saying what's the point of fair trade products.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

At the moment farmers are on a base price per litre of around 28cpl. Then there are bonuses for better constituents - fat and protein. I got 33.5 cpl for my August milk. In the winter months some farmers get a 7cpl premium for liquid milk above the base price. My own milk here is collected daily to go far far away for uht milk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭.red.

My dad worked for a bakery for years. The difference between Irish Pride, Tesco, Dunnes and Super Valu bread was the packaging.
    Some loads were almost square, others had the round, almost burnt top, same bread mix put into the molds.

Milk is the same. Comes from thousands of farms, mixed together. Put into different cartons or bottles and sent to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

whelan2 wrote: »
    My own milk here is collected daily to go far far away for uht milk
    "Milk goes sour you know"
    S03E03-xne2WLet-subtitled.jpg

Seriously I only use milk for tea and coffee so cant notice any discernible difference in taste when it is mixed at a 1:10 ratio. Would be different if you ate cereals, remember as a kid Avonmore was the business whereas Premier Dairies was awful muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I keep a UHT carton in for emergency coffees... as in when you've been out the night before and go to fridge next morning and face dreaded prospect of sour milk!

I find LIDL & ALDI milk tastes ok, but doesn't seem to last as long as branded versions.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Yea definitely doesn’t last as long.
    Cheaper ones might get to the shelf later, might be saving on transport and not paying a premium to get it to the shelves as quick.

odssey06 how many weeks are the UHT cartons rated for? Must admit I have that problem the odd time too in the summer when milk goes off quicker. Its a real head wrecker and has happened me with Aldi own brand milk where it went off about 2 days before the date.

Also does anyone know what they did to the milk to preserve it further? Pretty sure milk lasted 2-3 days max in the 80s/90s now its more like 5-7 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I find that milk in a tetrapack carton lasts way longer than in the plastic bottles, irrespective of brand.

UHT will have 1-3 months shelf life. Weirdly lidl keep it in the fridge but you only need to do that once opened. I find it grand in drinks but not great on its own or with cereal.

Would be curious myself re shelflife of regular milk.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I find that milk in a tetrapack carton lasts way longer than in the plastic bottles, irrespective of brand.

No ultraviolet degredation, one of the main reasons tetrapak was developed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

boombang wrote: »

Need to know as I'm about to move in with my GF who always buys branded. I think this issue could be a deal breaker. Need to have my facts ready.

Thanks

It’s getting over these big issues that will keep your relationship strong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I always buy Dunnes/Tesco milk as it's typically 50-70c cheaper than Avonmore/Premier per 2L. I think the own brand from these stores tastes just the same. I don't buy Lidl/Aldi own brand, as this tastes inferior. I believe it comes from the North.

I've always assumed that the Dunnes/Tesco milk probably came from the same dairies as the branded milk. Can anybody tell me if this is true? Also, if in pay the big premium for the brand, who's making the excess? Do farmers receive any more from branded buyers, or it's it somebody else up the supply chain that creams it (so to speak).

Thanks

I worked in retail for a while. All milk in lidl, aldi dunnes tesco whatever it’s all Irish milk from various different creameries who all have to follow the same rules so you can pay more for the branded one if you want but it’s all the same. Some people say different brands taste but it’s nonsense. Any variation is across all brands and not specific to any one brand. Same with butter and cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

And if you get your milk delivered by a milkman you can add a few more cent to your Avonmore/Premier price. :rolleyes:

MadYaker wrote: »
    I worked in retail for a while. All milk in lidl, aldi dunnes tesco whatever it’s all Irish milk from various different creameries who all have to follow the same rules so you can pay more for the branded one if you want but it’s all the same. Some people say different brands taste but it’s nonsense. Any variation is across all brands and not specific to any one brand. Same with butter and cream.

I'm the last person to say that the premium brand tastes better than own brand and I rate Lidl/Aldi over Dunnes/Tesco on many things, but not their milk. I'm pretty sure it tastes different and that at least one of the German retailers sources from the North (at least when I purchased a few years ago and decided I didn't like it).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks

Simply read the four digit code on the packaging to find out the source.

Aurivo in Killygordon, Co. Donegal process milk for Lidl.

I checked ALDI, full fat 1L is from plant IE 1439.

• Advertisement

and I rate Lidl/Aldi over Dunnes/Tesco on many things, but not their milk. I'm pretty sure it tastes different and that at least one of the German retailers sources from the North (at least when I purchased a few years ago and decided I didn't like it).

Yes, I did note that ALDI cartons are from the RoI, but ALDI jugs of milk were from NI.

MadYaker wrote: »

Yes, I know a guy who used to manage the production of thousands of tonnes of butter.

He confirmed that Kerrygold and unbranded butter were exactly the same in his plant, until packaging.

Now, recently all Kerrygold production was centralised in one plant in Cork, with cream being sent there by various dairies.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, I did note that ALDI cartons are from the RoI, but ALDI jugs of milk were from NI.

That'll be it. I had bought a plastic jug.

I love boards. Ask a question, so much knowledge pour forth (although it's hard to tell the truth from the BS).

Just a question for milk producers here- I remember reading that in recent years Glanbia have been making an absolute fortune from whey products and that they are now a massive supplier to the bodybuilding/fitness industry for whey powders. Before this new market opened the whey was a byproduct of cheese and AFAIK diverted to animal feed. So now that whey is the most valuable part of the milk does the price paid by the creamery reflect all the extra profitable utility from the milk supplied? Glanbia definitely making serious money from the whey market which the reckon to be worth $20 billion globally soon enough
    Don't let the mumsy image of its Avonmore branded milk and Kilmeaden cheeses fool you. Kilkenny-based dairy giant Glanbia is a corporate heavyweight slugging it out in the global sports nutrition market - and the gloves are off.

The Glanbia story is a triumph of brains and brawn.

In just over a decade, this former co-operative with deep roots in the Irish dairy industry has transformed itself into a behemoth of the bodybuilding and sports nutrition sector. Today many of its products are the No 1 choice of muscle-heads, elite athletes and professional cage fighters in a market set to be worth a whopping €20bn by 2020.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/glanbia-muscles-in-on-rivals-31134246.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just a question for milk producers here- I remember reading that in recent years Glanbia have been making an absolute fortune from whey products and that they are now a massive supplier to the bodybuilding/fitness industry for whey powders. Before this new market opened the whey was a byproduct of cheese and AFAIK diverted to animal feed. So now that whey is the most valuable part of the milk does the price paid by the creamery reflect all the extra profitable utility from the milk supplied? Glanbia definitely making serious money from the whey market which the reckon to be worth $20 billion globally soon enough

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/glanbia-muscles-in-on-rivals-31134246.html

Glanbia are the lowest payers at the moment for milk to farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

They've been making plastic and alcohol from whey for years.

And if you get your milk delivered by a milkman you can add a few more cent to your Avonmore/Premier price. :rolleyes:

My parents are glad to pay the extra cents. During snowmageddon there were no bin collections, sometimes no buses etc but milkman still did the rounds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

is_that_so wrote: »
    The same thing applies to the likes of jams, biscuits etc, where they may tweak the recipe just a little.

And own brand cooking sauces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Are milk men still a thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Are milk men still a thing?

He is round here in this part of Dublin. Houses close together so you deliver efficiently enough. Not really sure why we still use him. He’s a decent bloke, pretty efficient at his job and never seems to take a holiday.

Advertisement