Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Don’t know how true or false this is or isn’t, but if it’s in the paper and Moynihan wrote it, it must be true seeing as he is PJR go to man so let’s just assume it is

And before I’ll be shot down with the classic Waterford line of “stop being a knocker” etc. and give the lad a chance etc I just want to qualify what I’m saying with the below proviso

I accept the argument to a point that players aren’t there to win an all Ireland, but I do believe under right mgmt team we could get to an all ire semi - maybe.

If we are all being objective and being honest here, What other top inter county jobs would Peter Queally get? Honestly?

There are 10 teams quoted for the all Ireland next year we are joint second longest odds of 25/1 (Dublin Same) Laois at 500/1 are next.

I couldnt conceivably see him getting ANY other job assuming they were all there and he wanted it. Carlow or Kerry, maybe, Offaly probably. Is he really and truly the best man we can get? Or are we totally hamstrung by total lack of finances?

Who is asking why are we forced to shop in the bargain basket? Why is it always the cheapest handiest effort?

The local media to my mind have a lot to answer for in the lack of a robust challenge to the county boards failings over last 2 decades & in particular last 5 years. It’s a long list at this stage.

It’s one excuse to the next & a never ending blame circle, devoid of leadership, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit, the characteristics that the Waterford teams of last 20 years were full of.

If Queally is best we can really do, great I’ll wish him luck & be there supporting as per.

The whole county is at tipping point, hard questions need to be asked & more over people need to be held to account for their actions or is most likely the case, their lack of actions.

This is you two days ago Saturdayman, giving out about queally going to get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Re Walsh Park. If the redevelopment does commence early next year and therefore not available for the 2 ‘home games’ is father field an option. Given the less than full Walsh Park this season father wouldn’t be too far away from accommodating the games...?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

This is you two days ago Saturdayman, giving out about queally going to get the job.

Yea, he wasn’t the best man for job then and he still isn’t now. He went from having it to not having it and the whole world told about it. The way this was played out was very poor.

Hardly a professional & watertight process.

Since when is Liz reddy the spokes person for Waterford GAA? Why did she know before any clubs?

Didnt your daddy say “ the clubs are the county board “ repeatedly. Yet non GAA members are briefed on who is / isn’t getting the job.

Sounds professional and well run to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

Do ye think maybe Queally just isn’t good enough and it’s not a major conspiracy against him?

Do ye think maybe Queally just isn’t good enough and it’s not a major conspiracy against him?

I do think that.

But I know if I apply for a job & im not successful the whole world isn’t told by twitter and a non Gaa member. Confidentiality and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Re Walsh Park. If the redevelopment does commence early next year and therefore not available for the 2 ‘home games’ is father field an option. Given the less than full Walsh Park this season father wouldn’t be too far away from accommodating the games...?

It'll have to be if WP is not ready.

Cannot have games outside of the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Yea, he wasn’t the best man for job then and he still isn’t now. He went from having it to not having it and the whole world told about it. The way this was played out was very poor.

Hardly a professional & watertight process.

Since when is Liz reddy the spokes person for Waterford GAA? Why did she know before any clubs?

Didnt your daddy say “ the clubs are the county board “ repeatedly. Yet non GAA members are briefed on who is / isn’t getting the job.

Sounds professional and well run to me.

But I'm sure queally was never told he had the job. Only people saying he had for definite were people on here. Jumping to conclusions. Liz Reddy is a reporter it's her job. We all knew queally went for job so it's obvious if he doesn't get it the whole world would know anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deiseen wrote: »
    It'll have to be if WP is not ready.

Cannot have games outside of the county.

I think that'd cause a major problem if the capacity is in around 5-6k.

If Waterford were to draw someone like Cork or Tipp at home, which they didn't have to cope with in 2019, there would likely be more away fans in the stadium than home ones due to season tickets. In fact there mightn't be many tickets left for non-season ticket holders at all.

For the opening game last year, Waterford had 793 season ticket holders last year, while Clare had 1,170. I've seen before that well supported counties like Mayo have about 3,700 holders, while Dublin have about 7,500. Therefore Cork and Tipp could easily have 3k that would be guaranteed tickets for a game.

Throw in the amount that must be guaranteed for players, officials and sponsors and you're left with very little, if anything, left at the end for the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,852 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

"if it's in the paper it must be true" why even bother replying when someone writes that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

How is it that when a tipp man guides his county to minor & u21 all irelands he's deemed a good appointment for our counties senior set up. But when one of our own done it he's laughed off as being not experienced enough?

Not pro or anti anybody by the way just think its laughable the double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

I was thinking the same thing. Not only that, but power has history with the players too.

maybe Sean Power is not interested in the senior job ?

He owns his own travel business doesnt he ??? if so that would take a lot of work and he may not want a GAA workload on top of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Motivator

PTH2009 wrote: »

He owns his own travel business doesnt he ??? if so that would take a lot of work and he may not want a GAA workload on top of that

That’s Sean Power the logistics man you’re thinking of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

PTH2009 wrote: »

Sean Power is a ‘legal eagle’, I thought. Winning 2 all-Irelands in different grades is not a bad return.

Happy enough with Cahill appointment (if confirmed) ; he was supposedly about to take the Tipp senior job but “gazumped” at the 11th hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think that'd cause a major problem if the capacity is in around 5-6k.

If Waterford were to draw someone like Cork or Tipp at home, which they didn't have to cope with in 2019, there would likely be more away fans in the stadium than home ones due to season tickets. In fact there mightn't be many tickets left for non-season ticket holders at all.

For the opening game last year, Waterford had 793 season ticket holders last year, while Clare had 1,170. I've seen before that well supported counties like Mayo have about 3,700 holders, while Dublin have about 7,500. Therefore Cork and Tipp could easily have 3k that would be guaranteed tickets for a game.

Throw in the amount that must be guaranteed for players, officials and sponsors and you're left with very little, if anything, left at the end for the clubs.

It's not a draw we know we have cork and tipperary at home in next years championship

I wonder is brick staying around ???

Owes us nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

So what's the latest? Cahill definitely has it or is there another change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

So what's the latest? Cahill definitely has it or is there another change?

Cahill has a reputation for being a straight shooter and even confrontational in Tipp . We know the ‘tough love’ didn’t work with Fanning on these players so if Cahill is the man then will be interesting to see if the players respond differently.

Cahill has a reputation for being a straight shooter and even confrontational in Tipp . We know the ‘tough love’ didn’t work with Fanning on these players so if Cahill is the man then will be interesting to see if the players respond differently.

I wonder will he have a quite word with a certain ex manager who writes a newspaper column

Will cahill or whomever takes over get 2 years in charge or only the 1 term ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭SW1985

How is it that when a tipp man guides his county to minor & u21 all irelands he's deemed a good appointment for our counties senior set up. But when one of our own done it he's laughed off as being not experienced enough?

Not pro or anti anybody by the way just think its laughable the double standards.

Winning a u21 in 2018 followed by a u20 in 2019 would mean you'd be working with a different group of players. That's a 2 year age gap essentially.

Sean had one crazy talented group that he was able to win with at minor then a few years later with the same group at u21. His results in between were unimpressive.

So I can see why people would make a distinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/millionaire-withholds-250000-from-mayo-county-board-38536084.html

Why can't we get a sugar daddy like this. A real bastard. Give 'em a taste, get em hooked and then turn off the supply until they do things correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/millionaire-withholds-250000-from-mayo-county-board-38536084.html

Why can't we get a sugar daddy like this. A real bastard. Give 'em a taste, get em hooked and then turn off the supply until they do things correctly.

Obviously the Waterford ‘millionaires’ out there are not aligned towards the GAA......thinking about it are there actually any Waterford ‘millionaires’......?

Obviously the Waterford ‘millionaires’ out there are not aligned towards the GAA......thinking about it are there actually any Waterford ‘millionaires’......?

Quite a few some keep it very quite

One I can think of is John O Shea of soccer fame

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Hehe, this is going a little off-topic, but yeah, there are 78,000 millionaires in Ireland, so there would definitely be a few in Waterford. Per capita, our share would be about 1,700, though they're likely to be disproportionately based in Dublin, so (pure guess) the figure is probably half that.

Most millionaires (technically anyone with a net worth over €1m, if I may point out the bleedin' obvious) would have their assets tied up in property and pensions, so people squeezing onto the list by meeting the definition probably would have a lot less money lying around than you'd expect. These are the millionaires most of us know - comfortably off, with two or three houses paid for and rental income flowing in, or maybe someone with an established family business with ten or more employees. It's probably only when you get up into the tens of millions and above that you'd get anyone who'd be able to be a sugar daddy for a GAA team.

So the answer to your question is a definite yes, but sugar-daddy territory? I'm sure there are a few!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlueFox90

What is the general consensus for the County Hurling semi finals at the weekend? I think Ballygunner will have too much for Dungarvan as I think they are the best team in the county by far. Interesting to see how Dessie Hutchinson goes. I think Mount Sion v De La Salle will be closer. I was disappointed at De La Salle v Roanmore last time out and impressed with Sion v Lismore so fancy Sion by less than a goal. I wouldn't fancy being the referee though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

fricatus wrote: »
    Hehe, this is going a little off-topic, but yeah, there are 78,000 millionaires in Ireland, so there would definitely be a few in Waterford. Per capita, our share would be about 1,700, though they're likely to be disproportionately based in Dublin, so (pure guess) the figure is probably half that.

Most millionaires (technically anyone with a net worth over €1m, if I may point out the bleedin' obvious) would have their assets tied up in property and pensions, so people squeezing onto the list by meeting the definition probably would have a lot less money lying around than you'd expect. These are the millionaires most of us know - comfortably off, with two or three houses paid for and rental income flowing in, or maybe someone with an established family business with ten or more employees. It's probably only when you get up into the tens of millions and above that you'd get anyone who'd be able to be a sugar daddy for a GAA team.

So the answer to your question is a definite yes, but sugar-daddy territory? I'm sure there are a few!

There was mention a few pages back that a sugar daddy has been found which I presume is why we are apparently able to go outside the county to attract a new manager. The county board are on their knees financially so there must be an injection of cash coming from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

BlueFox90 wrote: »
    What is the general consensus for the County Hurling semi finals at the weekend? I think Ballygunner will have too much for Dungarvan as I think they are the best team in the county by far. Interesting to see how Dessie Hutchinson goes. I think Mount Sion v De La Salle will be closer. I was disappointed at De La Salle v Roanmore last time out and impressed with Sion v Lismore so fancy Sion by less than a goal. I wouldn't fancy being the referee though.

Dungarvan and Ballygunner could be closer than a lot of people think. I would imagine the area that Ballygunner will try to exploit will be the Dungarvan full back line which is by far their weakest link this year. If they somehow solve that then they have a decent chance.
    DLS should have too much for MT Sion. I’ve seen both teams throughout the year and Brian Phelan’s charges seem to have that little bit extra about them but as you said I wouldn’t like to be the referee!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Liam Cahill has stepped down as Tipperary u20 boss 👀👀

• Advertisement

in a rare show of optimism I have put together a list of a few lads I have seen in club championship, this and previous years, who regardless of personal circumstances / availability should be worth a run of a few months in the panel, see can they make the step up.

They certainly may improve the standard of training within the squad;

Tried and trusted – Tom Devine, Barry Coughlan, Jake Dillon,

Worth a twist – Ryan Donnelly, Dessie Hutchinson, Darragh Lynch, Michael Harney, Ian Kenny, Richard Hurley, Jack Fagan, Michael Kiely, Tom Barron, Tom Moran, Conor Power, Ray Barry, Brian Lynch, Seamus Keating

anyone else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement