Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What car rental companies allow 19 year olds??

Options
  • 25-09-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm based in Dublin and commute every day to DCU on the bus but I discovered it would be cheaper for me to rent a car and obviously more convenient. I am the holder of a full Irish driver's licence for nearly two years now and turned 19 in July. Is there any companies that would allow me to rent a car. BTW my daily commute would only be 10 mins in a car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,740 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

seriously? cycle or walk if it's that short, the traffic is bad enough as it is.

if you're determined to drive, I'd be surprised if renting was cheaper than buying a cheap runaround - check out the Bangernomics thread in the Motoring forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭Allinall

Paddy223 wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin and commute every day to DCU on the bus but I discovered it would be cheaper for me to rent a car and obviously more convenient. I am the holder of a full Irish driver's licence for nearly two years now and turned 19 in July. Is there any companies that would allow me to rent a car. BTW my daily commute would only be 10 mins in a car.

The weekly cap for a student with a Leap card is €20 for Dublin Bus, or €30 for multi-mode transport.

There isn't a hope in hell that you could rent a car and pay for fuel fro a day, never mind a week for that.

Buy a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

How do you think its cheaper if you don't even know the companies you want to use.
    Not a hope is it cheaper, hope you're not doing maths in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

HI OP, here is the ideal rental for your situation

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Paddy223

How do you think its cheaper if you don't even know the companies you want to use.
    Not a hope is it cheaper, hope you're not doing maths in college.

Some rental companies are only 17 quid for the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Paddy223 wrote: »
    Some rental companies are only 17 quid for the week

If you believe that, I don’t believe you got the points to get into DCU.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

endacl wrote: »
    If you believe that, I don’t believe you got the points to get into DCU.

:D

He could work in the bar... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You have very little understanding of how car rental actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

It says you have to be 25 or older on the order page

Edit:
    Driver information

Driver Age

Please note that Young/Senior Driver fees will only be displayed correctly if you entered your age correctly in the search criteria. If you add Additional Drivers to your rental and any of them are considered Young/Senior Drivers, you may have to pay both an Additional Driver Fee and a Young/Senior Driver Fee.

Minimum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 23.
    Maximum driver age for the vehicle that you selected is 75.
    A Young/Senior Driver Fee of €40.00 per day applies to drivers aged 23-24.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Let's say in some bizarre scenario you do get a car for 17 a week. That leaves you with a 3 euro saving on a leap card.

Now, how much does it cost you to get to where the car has to be picked up from, and where it has to be brought back to? how much do you think you'll spend on fuel? (hint it will be more that 3 euro) and how much do you think you'll spend on parking for a week?

And then what happens when someone sneezes on the car and there is a tiny tiny mark, that these companies that rent cars so cheaply will screw you on for hundreds of euro?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth bearing in mind too that those rates would not be fixed. they'd seesaw with seasonal demand.
    and as mentioned above, a single mark on a kerbed wheel would probably cost you 5 times the weekly rental fee you're being quoted.

anyway: a 10 minute drive to DCU? you'd be lucky to get to swords in ten minutes from DCU, unless driving in the dead of night. and you wouldn't get into the city centre either. as people have suggested, have you considered cycling?

worth bearing in mind too that those rates would not be fixed. they'd seesaw with seasonal demand.
    and as mentioned above, a single mark on a kerbed wheel would probably cost you 5 times the weekly rental fee you're being quoted.

anyway: a 10 minute drive to DCU? you'd be lucky to get to swords in ten minutes from DCU, unless driving in the dead of night. and you wouldn't get into the city centre either. as people have suggested, have you considered cycling?

Seen someone get cleaned of a bike the last day which has kinda put me of it so far

ED E wrote: »
    You have very little understanding of how car rental actually works.

Well why do you think I started a thread?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The figure you're seeing there is going to be the price for a 25+ renter

Hertz and Sixt may rent as low as 19 on student deals but you'll be paying something like 40 to 50 euro a DAY in young driver surcharges.

The ultra-cheap firms won't go below 25 to begin with and also the cheap price will be uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Country code of 31, suggests they are not Irish based. Infact it's for the Netherlands/Holland.

That would dramatically change the delivery fee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was rather dubious when i saw that the pickup point for the car was listed as being in 'colghran'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

DCU is a nightmare for parking anyway, and the multi storey charges. If I lived 10 minutes away you'd have to pay me more than €30 a week to drive there every day. Especially if I was a student and wanted the choice of going out on any given day. That's before we get into how lowest price rentals operate a business model of screwing you over on additional charges to get their profit margin. The whole premise is moronic.

Advertisement