Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on parlimentary procedure and Brexit

Options
  • 24-09-2019 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Did Bercow in parliament not rule out Theresa May's deal from returning for a vote in the present session
    i.e not until parliament has been perogued.

So until Boris does perogue parliament they can't vote on the EU deal that the EU agreed anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think parliament has to be perogued in order for the session to be ended.

There is still a Queen's speech planned for Oct 14th thus starting a new session.

It will be the word of the year perogued.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I don't think parliament has to be perogued in order for the session to be ended.

There is still a Queen's speech planned for Oct 14th thus starting a new session.

According to BBC website there can't be a Queen's speech until after perogation.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-32816450

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Can't bring it back in the same session and until a prorogation it remains the same session. Though ultimately if he felt that it was likely to pass then he could allow it as the manifest will of the parliament basically overrides everything else.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Can't bring it back in the same session and until a prorogation it remains the same session. Though ultimately if he felt that it was likely to pass then he could allow it as the manifest will of the parliament basically overrides everything else.

That's what I figured, so until parliament is prorogued then they can't vote on the EU approved deal anyway.

The way it's going the remainers are going to cause the crash out them selves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Spook_ie wrote: »
    That's what I figured, so until parliament is prorogued then they can't vote on the EU approved deal anyway.

If he thought it would pass he would simply say that the will of parliament should take primacy and he would allow it back. The rule is essentially just there to stop a government hammering away with a bill that lacks majority support. If he suspected majority support it would be back immediately.

Essentially the will of parliament overrides everything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Spook_ie wrote: »

The EU are open to changes in the political statement attached to the agreement.... so there is room to bring it back in.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If he thought it would pass he would simply say that the will of parliament should take primacy and he would allow it back. The rule is essentially just there to stop a government hammering away with a bill that lacks majority support. If he suspected majority support it would be back immediately.

Essentially the will of parliament overrides everything.

Dunno about that, considering the defeat it got last time, unless there are substantial changes if Bercow allowed it back again in this session, I think you'd see the courts being involved again.

The only sure way would be as part of a new session after perogation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,092 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If there's a signficant change in the subject matter of the resolution or in the surrounding circumstances it may be allowed in again in the same session.

It might be difficult for Johnson to bring back May's exact deal. But, why would he want to? Everyone assumes that, if he does get a deal, it will involve some tweaks, at least to the Political Declaration, and if there's a mood to approve it that will probably be held to be a sufficient change to justify bringing it before Parliament again.

Advertisement