Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which semi auto shotgun

Options
  • 24-09-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

Im thinking of changing to a semi auto shotgun soon and wanted to get the opinion of others on which is best, gas or recoil?
    I suppose the go to for gas operated is a Beretta and recoil operated is a Benelli.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Asus1

Czhornet wrote: »
    Im thinking of changing to a semi auto shotgun soon and wanted to get the opinion of others on which is best, gas or recoil?
    I suppose the go to for gas operated is a Beretta and recoil operated is a Benelli.

Any thoughts?

I bought my my own shotgun this year,an armsan a612s.It is a gas gun with 29" barrel.Ive put 28gr 7.5 up to 36gr bb for fox.Recoil with the clay loads are very light and recoil with heavy loads while noticeable are very manageable.I use to shoot my father's s×s and after 20 clays even with the 28gr you'd be sick of the kick.The gun does need to be kept clean so the ports dont gunk up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

What you need is an old Browning shotgun. Probably get it for small enough money. Better steel in the older guns. Make sure it can fire steel though as lead might be a thing of the past shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭LONG DRAG

Any thoughts?

There is only 1 Semi automatic, and has been that way a long time BENELLI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

A friend of mine bought a Franchi 2 months ago all plastic recoil operated made by Benelli for 850 euro.
    we looked at a lot of second hand auto's lots of sh1t3
    Hard to pass a new gun for that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Don't buy anything Turkish.
    Buy something that has a long-standing not something new and gimmicky. If something breaks you want to be able to quickly and easily order parts. Otherwise you will end up spending a fortune getting the gun fixed if something goes wrong.
    Benelli or Beretta are fine and are both owned by the same company and parts can be got through GMK etc..
    Look at what loads the guns are designed for if you want a gun for hunting then buy one that is designed for shooting heavier loads. There is no point buying a gun designed for 28g light loads and shooting 32g and beating the internals to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

juice1304 wrote: »
    Look at what loads the guns are designed for if you want a gun for hunting then buy one that is designed for shooting heavier loads. There is no point buying a gun designed for 28g light loads and shooting 32g and beating the internals to death.

Is the gas draw off not "regulated" so that the lighter loads work fine but the heavy loads are dumbed down a bit to save the cycle mechanism?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have a Beretta Urika AL391. I bought it new over 20 years ago. Fantastic gun, can’t fault it. It cycles everything from very light loads to 3” magnums each time every time. It looks great too. I made a few tweaks, fiber front sight, gel recoil pad, extended chokes and plastic stock (it came with walnut).

The only cartridges it would not cycle are some of the cheaper 3” cartridges as they are fractionally longer. Solution buy a quality 3” cartridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

A400/a391 would be my suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

A400/a391 would be my suggestion

Any one better that the other? Ulrika vs Tekneys vs Xtrema?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Benelli,Browning,Remington...Anything in those brands and you cant go very wrong.

Franchi,run away very quickly...They are the poor child of the Beretta corporation,[Benelli,Beretta,Franchi]whose customer service and PR...SUCKS!!! [This is from an Italian firearms journalist BTW].They change their models much too quick,almost every year at this stage,and are starting to use more plastic than wood or metal.So just make sure you can get replacement parts and spares ok thru your dealer,as their replacement parts distribution is sucky at best.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Not bothered normally

browning gold.......bought a mint one for 275 euro a few weeks ago.

browning gold.......bought a mint one for 275 euro a few weeks ago.

That was the gun I had before I changed to the a400 and it was a good reliable gun. When you compare it to the a400 the a400 is much lighter and the kick recoil system built into the stock is brilliant especially if you like to shoot a few clays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Any one better that the other? Ulrika vs Tekneys vs Xtrema?

Up to yourself the xtrema is chambered in 3.5 like the unico in the a400 range. I have the a400 xplor unico and it's a forever gun in my books. Any of them are good. But for cheapness a nice al391 urika is a fine job.

Up to yourself the xtrema is chambered in 3.5 like the unico in the a400 range. I have the a400 xplor unico and it's a forever gun in my books. Any of them are good. But for cheapness a nice al391 urika is a fine job.

Same as mine would never part with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

The workings of the beretta A300 outlander is very similar to the old beretta 391. I have an A400, but have to say after shooting an A300 for rough shooting save your money for cartiridhes and buy the A300.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

Beretta Urika 391,15 years old, huge amount of stuff gone through it with no issues.

Advertisement