Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the whole environment scare like a modern Armageddon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

dvdman1 wrote: »
    NO..... 97% agree climate change is mostly man made

Depending on exactly how you measure the expert consensus, it’s somewhere between 90% and 100% agree humans are responsible for climate change

Even their own evidence contradicts that, climate change has been happening since creation (long before man existed), mankind has accelerated it (or appear to have).

Gawd, even I know that lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Regarding the title of the thread, I think one of the tribulations foretold in Revelations is flooding. So, rising seas could coincide with the apocalypse if these biblical events unfold over the next hundred years or so. Of course, this melting of the glaciers, permafrost and icecaps is accelerating faster than the scientists anticipated and if the acceleration is exponential, major flooding could increase at an alarming pace. Perhaps years rather than centuries before coastal cities have to be abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

bladespin wrote: »
    Even their own evidence contradicts that, climate change has been happening since creation (long before man existed), mankind has accelerated it (or appear to have).

Gawd, even I know that lol.

So you agree

So you agree

That you were wrong; yes. Man did not create climate change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Regarding the title of the thread, I think one of the tribulations foretold in Revelations is flooding. So, rising seas could coincide with the apocalypse if these biblical events unfold over the next hundred years or so. Of course, this melting of the glaciers, permafrost and icecaps is accelerating faster than the scientists anticipated and if the acceleration is exponential, major flooding could increase at an alarming pace. Perhaps years rather than centuries before coastal cities have to be abandoned.

Carbon emissions 666

6 protons, 6 neutrons and 6 electrons... make up Carbon

omg we're domed, it's all adding up to the day of Reckoning

The number of the beast is made up of carbon

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Where is Noah when you need him? :)

I don't think anyone believes Revelations anymore and if they do, they probably need therapy.

That you were wrong; yes. Man did not create climate change.

Point out exactly where i was wrong?

I think your confused
    The worlds climate has always changed thats not whats been talked about here..yes its been colder and warmer billions of yrs ago...this is not what were talking about

NO..... 97% agree climate change is mostly man made

Depending on exactly how you measure the expert consensus, it’s somewhere between 90% and 100% agree humans are responsible for climate change
    Point out exactly where i was wrong?

I think your confused
    The worlds climate has always changed thats not whats been talked about here..yes its been colder and warmer billions of yrs ago...this is not what were talking about

There you go, climate change is not a man made phenomena, as you stated above. Yes, climate change is exactly what this whole thread is about, you even say thin in the post above lol, Jeebus help us all :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭del_c

Once it was nukes and nuclear winters, ozone layer, Y2K and now it's this. Every generation has their bogeyman.

There are real consequences but I doubt the people and corporations that matter are going to take any notice of schoolkids. Yeah let Greta speak at some UN gig, that's cute, now back to business as usual.

These were all issues the world grappled with at a senior political level and solved.

Nukes - I was terrified of a nuclear winter when I was a kid, but Reagan and Gorbachov between them took nuclear armageddon off the radar with SALT.

Ozone Layer - a whole family of dangerous CFC's used in everything from deoderant to fridges were replaced with less harmful alternatives.

Y2K - this was a massive IT-sector investment, costed at 100BN in US alone.

In this case it did not go back to business as usual, you had serious men who went at things in a serious manner, unlike the balloons that are on the stage now. That does not mean the problem were not real and the consequences of inaction were not potentially grave.

There you go, climate change is not a man made phenomena, as you stated above. Yes, climate change is exactly what this whole thread is about, you even say thin in the post above lol, Jeebus help us all :rolleyes:.

Your wrong...climate change is a human driven phenomena...the climate and its natural trends is a a natural process...the rapid change is the 97% scientific consensus that its human driven.
    Your confused..lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Your wrong...climate change is a human driven phenomena...the climate and its natural trends is a a natural process...the rapid change is the 97% scientific consensus that its human driven.
    Your confused..lol

you are wrong about believing that. the world will do as it wants, as it has always done. the sun is hotter now. the world is NATURALLY heating

source: History of the planet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,787 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

nthclare wrote: »

I'm in my mid 40's and remember the whole ozone layer scare in the 80'sand it's supposedly closing up again...

Yes after the world listened to the scientists and took action like banning CFC's

This time we are listening to the scientists, but dragging our heels, because it's more expensive to solve this one. Also who are all these types coming out of the woodwork claiming it's a recent fad? we've been hearing about this climate change from scientists nonstop for a decade at least. It's only ramping up recently because it's getting more serious and many argue it's accelerating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Your confused..lol

Do you know how much man-made carbon is in the atmosphere, less than 0.01%. How does this change our climate if it's so tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,186 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

vriesmays wrote: »
    Do you know how much man-made carbon is in the atmosphere, less than 0.01%. How does this change our climate if it's so tiny.

how and where are you getting that figure??

Do you know what a trace gas is - one tenth of 1% in the atmosphere is carbon. Less than 20% of this 1% is man made carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Once it was nukes and nuclear winters, ozone layer, Y2K and now it's this. Every generation has their bogeyman.

There are real consequences but I doubt the people and corporations that matter are going to take any notice of schoolkids. Yeah let Greta speak at some UN gig, that's cute, now back to business as usual.

Cold war almost got hot till they were shook hands; the effect from CFCs that came from refrigeration gas -stepa were taken and got resolved; computer geeks making a quick buck.

What is man made carbon? Almost 0.04% of the gases in the atmosphere is carbon dioxide.

Do you know what a trace gas is - one tenth of 1% in the atmosphere is carbon. Less than 20% of this 1% is man made carbon.

about 30% is man made, or an over 40% rise in carbon dioxide over pre-industrial levals...

Do you know what a trace gas is?

shur, even the ozone layer is less than 0.001% ozone, what use is that at all?

Do you know what a trace gas is?
    It's a gas that's not nitrogen or oxygen which makes up 99% of the atmosphere.
    There are many trace gases of which one is CO2.
    That's a small portion of the remaining 1%.
    Of this small portion of 1% another small part is man made.
    None of the climate change freaks can explain how this tiny, tiny amount of gas affects our climate.

• Advertisement

see above post

None of the climate change freaks can explain how this tiny, tiny amount of gas affects our climate.

Absorbs solar IR radiation.

Sure it does. The problem with all this climate change nonsense is that it's nothing new. Every generation has the ozone layer/global cooling/climate change/acid rain scare. They all think they're the first.

From 1922:
    http://www.rfcafe.com/miscellany/smorgasbord/images/Arctic-Icebergs-Melting-Washington-Times-December-3-1922-rf-cafe.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Yes after the world listened to the scientists and took action like banning CFC's

This time we are listening to the scientists, but dragging our heels, because it's more expensive to solve this one. Also who are all these types coming out of the woodwork claiming it's a recent fad? we've been hearing about this climate change from scientists nonstop for a decade at least. It's only ramping up recently because it's getting more serious and many argue it's accelerating.

It's the scare mongering I'm more worried about, just not right for the teen-agers and more sensitive kids to be thinking they're doomed.

Their fear would be more magnified than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

On our current trajectory we're all doomed sooner or later, or at least massive wars are going to start and resources will become vary scarce, which usually results in wars. Global warming or not!

Your confused..lol

I’m not, while we have made our own contribution to climate change it’s ridiculous to say the climate never changed before mankind, history disagrees.

Lol, I’ve heard it all now, climate change denial is one thing but to deny the ice age???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It's the scare mongering I'm more worried about, just not right for the teen-agers and more sensitive kids to be thinking they're doomed.

Their fear would be more magnified than ours.

Agree

Begging governments to enslave them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

There's a big scare on at the moment and it seems the millennials are the most scared.

I'm in my mid 40's and remember the whole ozone layer scare in the 80'sand it's supposedly closing up again...

I remember my grandmother Maggie thinking it was a load of bollocks, supposedly we'd be all burnt to a crisp by the end of the century.
    She was right we survived and sorted out our CFCs came up with a simple solution...

Scaremongering for more taxes and keep ye all from just getting on with it I think.

Why do you want to take the chance, though? to 'stick it' to the annoying lefties? Why not make some small sacrifices to make the world a cleaner, safer, happier place, and even if climate change turns out to not be the apocalypse its made out to be, well at least you still did something that helped to make a nicer world for us all to live in. And if it does turn out to be true, at least you can know you didnt contribute to the destruction.
    So things that are indisputable and right in our faces:
    At the very least, our oceans are soon to have more plastic in them than fish.
    At the very least smog and emissions from fossil fuels choke our cities and contribute to 1.8 million early deaths from cancer and lung disease around the world
    At the very least our cities are ever sprawling into the countryside and destroying habitats and eco systems
    At the very least up to 200-2,000 species of animals are going extinct annually due to human impact
    At the very least 27 soccer fields sized areas of forest are unsustainably flattened to make way for livestock farms every minute of every day
    Then things that are just statistical predictions that we cannot visualise or perceive the implications on our personal lives in future..ocean rises etc. Given the above is it such a leap of faith to think the immense scale of these effects happening before our very eyes might also be permanently changing the climate of the planet?

At the very least our disgusting and unsustainable habits need to radically change . If it also stops climate change then all the better. If it doesnt, well it will still bring other benefits, short term and long term. And if climate change didnt live up to the fear-mongering , again we still will have made the world a cleaner and safer place for our future generations. Would that be such a bad thing?? I dont understand the animosity towards those concerned about climate change from so many posters, their intentions are usually good but many make out as though it is some conspiracy by children and college students to swindle money out of them or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Thank you for this thread. It outed the idiots in double quick time!

• Advertisement

its hard to know if some are entirely genuine in their positions

Advertisement