Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dominance of Ballymacarbry GAA.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

38 titles in a row, I bet there is very limited participation in womens football down there as a result.

Dominance leads to disinterest.

38 titles in a row, I bet there is very limited participation in womens football down there as a result.

Dominance leads to disinterest.

Competitive final by the looks of it in fairness. Ballymacarbry down by 6 at one stage.

They won 10 All Ireland SFCs: 1987, 1989-95 and 1997-1998. So they had alot of dominance on the national stage in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Waterford women have won All-Irelands too, whereas the men wouldn't come within an ass's roar of beating the stronger counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

When is the joke about calling for every team that is successful to be split - going to end?
    It had its day about 3 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

5 in a row for Dublin??? Pfft......

How about 38 titles in a row for Ballymacarbry in the Waterford women's SFC. No calls for them to be split up by their opponents that I'm aware of......

https://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/304241

https://www.the42.ie/ballymac-38-in-a-row-waterford-kilmihil-clare-4820843-Sep2019/?utm_source=shortlink&fbclid=IwAR06SPFT71DFKE3YbmSfncD_obQSmCg4LuDiDRoax7EyB_-xFIXlJKQT1CE

I'd be in favour of splitting Dublin even if they weren't as successful. An area of 1.3 million,and growing, where gaelic football is a popular sport should be fielding more than 1 team.

As a matter of interest why does Killarney have 3 teams and Tralee have 2 teams?

I'd imagine it's the same principle as I mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

harpsman wrote: »
    I'd be in favour of splitting Dublin even if they weren't as successful. An area of 1.3 million,and growing, where gaelic football is a popular sport should be fielding more than 1 team.

As a matter of interest why does Killarney have 3 teams and Tralee have 2 teams?

I'd imagine it's the same principle as I mentioned.

You've got that backwards. Killarney has 2 (Crokes and Leigon) if you're including Spa in your 3 youd be told by any Spa club man they're not a town team, Tralee has 4 actually (Stacks, Rahilys, John Mitchels and Na Gaeil)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

dobman88 wrote: »
    You've got that backwards. Killarney has 2 (Crokes and Leigon) if you're including Spa in your 3 youd be told by any Spa club man they're not a town team, Tralee has 4 actually (Stacks, Rahilys, John Mitchels and Na Gaeil)
    Ah-fair enough thanks. Eh yeah I was including Spa. Ive totally hear of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

harpsman wrote: »
    Ah-fair enough thanks. Eh yeah I was including Spa. Ive totally hear of them :)

Its 4 in Tralee and 2 in Killarney as said above - Spa is more or less getting swallowed up by the way Killarney is expanding - same as Fossa

St. Pats & Churchill would be the same in Tralee with Ballymac to a lesser extent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

dobman88 wrote: »

Tralee town population is around the 25k mark while Killarney town is around 15k These are the figures for offical government town boundaries which are different from the parish boundaries.

In Killarney for instance there's a serious difference between the official legal government town boundaries and Killarney parish, which is why you have the Spa being a Killarney team but not being a town team. I'd say Spa's boundaries probably extend about 4/5 miles out of town into the country-side.

The parish of Killarney extends southwards a good bit. I'm not sure where the parish boundary boundary is, but the parish underneath/below it is Kenmare so if I'd have to guess the boundary is probably somewhere along the mountains so you could possibly have someone who was living out around by Ladies View (12 miles out of town) eligible to play for Crokes.

I'd imagine that there are other areas around the country where parish boundaries versus government boundaries vary a good bit.

Advertisement