Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the whole environment scare like a modern Armageddon

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

nthclare wrote: »
    She was saying that the scare mongering was a load of bollocks, she was confident that there's a solution, and they'll get rid of CFCs from aerosols...
    And what did she think about the destruction of the Amazon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Maybe it's time to lay off the acid

Such a lame response from a moderator, you know exactly what Zoyra is posting about.

Sjws scared of the boogy man, who's their next boggy man ?

It's really sad and lonely for these millennials, being used to ramp up the whole global warming thing.

They should be out planting oak forests and tidying up beaches and doing something more useful....

Keep their mind's of the new religion they're getting themselves into...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

And our biggest problem is cattle farting, give me a break.
    There was a lot more animals farting year's ago than there is now, but yet they're peddling that rubbish.

Hasn't the herd size grown year on year bar for small fluctuations, surely the national herd is much bigger now than it was say 500 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Zorya wrote: »
    Have to say I find it all creepy. Rows of people with their arms crossed over their chests chanting hysterically. Seems the people need a religion after all. As someone smarter than me said half the world use the same amou t of energy in a day as these peoples fridges. And yet here we have the death cult devotes frothing in the streets and going home afterwards feeling high on the hallelujahs. Probably wondering why their kids are anxious and depressed too.
    Had to laugh when I heard on the radio this morning that Leo is going to tell the UN that all carbon tax money in Ireland is going to be ring fenced from next year to 'fight' climate change. Is climate a goon he is gonna give back handers to stop it changing? Or is he going to stick wads of cash in climates g string to keep her happy?

Disturbing millenarian vibes off the whole thing.

Maybe it's time to lay off the acid

Haha : D only wish I had the time and tolerançe for it! Cant even handle coffee, me. But the absolute state of those people. A ex neighbour of mine walked with a big sign saying "the earth is burning!", the sign decorated with big fearsome flames. She must be living in rather more exciting a suburban cul de sac than I had imagined.

And what did she think about the destruction of the Amazon?

Why don't you get a psychic dial into the spirit world and ask her, did you not read my posts she's dead since 1987

Seriously some people ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Natural technological evolution will solve the issue.

China has just gone solar cost parity with coal, and have met their solar 2020 targets 3yrs early.
    Last year solar produced 130 gigawatts for them.

Still some way to go, but they're leaders in this area, once they cut back on coal plants things will improve further.

Ireland missing it's own tree planting targets by something like 40,000hectares, then shortly after declaring an emergency is curious.

Exactly.

All the technology will come soon and will work.

Panicking now and taxing everyone is ridiculous.

bladespin wrote: »
    Hasn't the herd size grown year on year bar for small fluctuations, surely the national herd is much bigger now than it was say 500 years ago?

I don't know really.
    I seriously don't think it's because of the herd's farting to be honest I'd say the problem lies in bigger countries and regions than Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

lola85 wrote: »
    Exactly.

All the technology will come soon and will work.

Panicking now and taxing everyone is ridiculous.

I'd love to hear more about this.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd love to hear more about this.

Literally google renewable energy technology and you will get a multitude of info.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/technology/2019/sep/20/google-says-its-energy-deals-will-lead-to-2bn-wind-and-solar-investment

“Google’s chief executive has revealed plans for the biggest renewable energy deal in corporate history”

Taxing people and panicking is all one big sham.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't know really.
    I seriously don't think it's because of the herd's farting to be honest I'd say the problem lies in bigger countries and regions than Ireland.

Oh absolutely agree, but on a global scale food production is a major contributor, in little old Ireland we prepare for a whipping as though we caused the whole mess even though our contribution is negligible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm pretty sure ocean pollution is causing the Earth to over heat in some ways.

Fukushima won't stop polluting for generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

NIMAN wrote: »
    There is one thing guaranteed, it's going to cost us more.

Yes

Its all a form of control

Mike9832 wrote: »

Its all a form of control

And that's why facism is coming from the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

I think young people opening our eyes to the emergency is great, business as usual isn't going to work anymore...the science is clear action is needed, children are tired of talking. Im behind them, we should all support the change.

dvdman1 wrote: »
    I think young people opening our eyes to the emergency is great, business as usual isn't going to work anymore...the science is clear action is needed, children are tired of talking. Im behind them, we should all support the change.

The change to higher taxes? Giving Leo and Pascal more money will help cure climate change, pull the other one.
    Governments are behind it so they can raise taxes.

What science?

The earth has been heating and cooling since it began 4 billion years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

There's a big scare on at the moment and it seems the millennials are the most scared.

I'm in my mid 40's and remember the whole ozone layer scare in the 80'sand it's supposedly closing up again...

I remember my grandmother Maggie thinking it was a load of bollocks, supposedly we'd be all burnt to a crisp by the end of the century.
    She was right we survived and sorted out our CFCs came up with a simple solution...

Scaremongering for more taxes and keep ye all from just getting on with it I think.

The reason the ozone layer closed up was the elimination of the reason why it was opening, namely CFC being banned/curtailed.

If the reason for global warming was similarily eradicated (CO2 /methane emissions) then we could expect global warming to be part arrested.

Part arrested assumes exisiting concentrations will continue to have a warming effect - just as taking your foot off the gas doesn't cause your car to stop.

The difference here is scale of change required. Cfc's was a relative trifle to deal with. CO2 and methane is a different matter altogether.

There are doubts about our survival even if emissions were halted tomorrow.

But assuming there still is time to save ourselves:

The question is: do you trust in the ability of mankind to work with the necessary harmony on a subject of this scale. I don't, since there exists no track record for them having done anything like it before.

To those who would point to WWII and the 'allies' I would say narrow self interest was at work there. Indeed, the argument is made that the reason for appeasement/peace in our time had to do with the hope, by the West, that Nazism would deal with the threat of Russia. In any case the Allies alliance lasted but a few years after which the Cold War.

Dealing with emissions would take a somewhat sustained and genuinely mutual interest outlook. Zero track record for that. Indeed, the absolute polar opposite is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Today I learned that half of boards are climate change deniers

Today I also learned that at least half of boards are idiots.

Children shouldn't have to be taking on issues which are deemed for mature adults.

They shouldn't be scared about their future either, IT REMINDS ME OF CHRISTIANITY

Scare the most vulnerable people in society, indoctrination and control...

You're behind the children are you and supporting them, that statement is very sad and you're undermining your own abilities as a grown adult.

We don't need young people to be opening our eyes for us, sounds like Hitler's youth to me....

Cina wrote: »

Thats not very scientific of you :)

• Advertisement

Cina wrote: »

Well obviously you're on one half, well done...

The problem is complicated by the success of the system which is destroying us. The world has been brainwashed into wanting it all:

us in the west who earn $100-300 (and more) and day and so consume $100 and more of the resources per day.

And those in the rest of the world who earn $1 or more a day but who know (because there is a TV shaped advertising hoarding available to them) the potential of what the world has to offer.

Little bit difficult to turn off that message now that it turns out our planet can't actually support $100-300 a day levels of consumption.

Heck, even our own governments have no idea: how the hell do you dismantle a 'consumptive without limits' society. They talk of banning plastic straws as if this is an advance ☺.

Big, big juggarnauts those. And there are others: those who run capitalism are the ones who control the wheels of power - ensuring capitalism keeps going.

Consumption 21st century style will be a disease which puts old style TB into the shade.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭alswearengen

Man made climate change hysteria is being ramped up by everyone with an agenda, from vegans to the hard left looking to take down capitalism.

Carbon taxes will apparently be invested back into green technologies, largely in the form of grants. Problem is you need to be able to afford the new electric car, solar panels, house retrofitting etc to avail of the grants.

So we will all be taxed, yet it will only be the well off who will benefit. What do the left make of that?

Do you honestly think it is not going to be business as usual? Is there any mention about the massive corporations churning out endless consumables with built in obsolescence, the production of which is enslaving whole populations, destroying the environment and making materialistic mugs of us all. Of course not. Put 5% on yobbos briquettes and keep on with catchy mantras that always end in number hooks like 2030 or 2050 or...Y2K. I dont deny climate change but this feverish doomsday cult that imagines change is wrought with face paint and chants like destroy my pussy not my earth is blooming ridiculous.

Children shouldn't have to be taking on issues which are deemed for mature adults.

They shouldn't be scared about their future either, IT REMINDS ME OF CHRISTIANITY

Scare the most vulnerable people in society, indoctrination and control...

You're behind the children are you and supporting them, that statement is very sad and you're undermining your own abilities as a grown adult.

We don't need young people to be opening our eyes for us, sounds like Hitler's youth to me....

Mature adults haven't quite the same vested interest. They.might love their kids and want the best.

Trouble is, wanting the best usually involves the kind of consumption that has gotten us into this mess.

Adults are much more addicted and nobbled by their reliance on the consumption drug. I mean, if you have a mortgage and a job requiring a 60 mile daily commute, how do you just switch that off?

Kids have power: they are about to become voters and aren't entangled in the system yet.

They are about the only ones to turn to, for pragmatic reasons

Man made climate change hysteria is being ramped up by everyone with an agenda, from vegans to the hard left looking to take down capitalism.

Carbon taxes will apparently be invested back into green technologies, largely in the form of grants. Problem is you need to be able to afford the new electric car, solar panels, house retrofitting etc to avail of the grants.

So we will all be taxed, yet it will only be the well off who will benefit. What do the left make of that?

They won't respond to your post be because they're always right.

These scammers use the best actuaries on the planet to add up all the sums and look after the wealthiest in society.

Some people are protesting against a brick wall, do you seriously think they care about the purple haired sjw and their friends ?

They do in their ring

Er..I think when the UN are pulling the emergency bell you can take it that its not the left at work.

As is usual, advances are the preserve of the rich and stuff trickles down. Even the cheapest car has electric windows now.

The question is whether electric cars and the like will make any difference. Mass individual transport is an environmental disaster: electric car or otherwise.

We might need to return to the day where O'Connell street was filled with folk on bikes.

Or do as the Dutch were doing 20 years ago, penalising you (through higher mortgage interest) if you lived 20km from your work or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gonad wrote: »
    I seen an interview recently with Christopher Monckton and he said there are 2 Irish scientists that have done a study on climate change and they have found the data being shared is actually not accurate . The thermometers used around the world are all in urban areas and urban areas get a little hotter the more urban and populated they become . Can’t remember the 2 guys names at the moment but he said he had invited them to a university on UK to speak and when the university found out what they were going to speak about they would no longer allow them .

But, Christopher Monckton's an unqualified lying twat

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The Ozone Layer issues was solved, well done, fair play to all involved.

The problem with this current issue is that its long term and that results are unmeasurable. Statisitics are vague, innacurate and easily manipulated.

Now to the important issue, if Taxes are introduced they will NEVER be withdrawn. Even if the "results" are positive, these taxes will be forever. The Ozone Layer was visible with infrared and we could see the results. This one is different.

Then we'll also have the likes of Plastic Taxes. Oh there's too much plastic in the sea, we need to do more. How much is too much? It's a vague problem and taxes will again remain forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

lola85 wrote: »
    What science?

The earth has been heating and cooling since it began 4 billion years ago.

97 percent of scientists agree that Climate-warming trends over the past century are extremely likely due to human activities

Advertisement