Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the whole environment scare like a modern Armageddon

Options
  • 23-09-2019 11:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

There's a big scare on at the moment and it seems the millennials are the most scared.

I'm in my mid 40's and remember the whole ozone layer scare in the 80'sand it's supposedly closing up again...

I remember my grandmother Maggie thinking it was a load of bollocks, supposedly we'd be all burnt to a crisp by the end of the century.
    She was right we survived and sorted out our CFCs came up with a simple solution...

Scaremongering for more taxes and keep ye all from just getting on with it I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,234 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Time will tell if you're right or not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Kinda looks like it is turning into a doomsday cult.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Happens every time the economy gets good, charlatans peddle doom to extract money , we hot recession and everyone shuts up about it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,234 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is one thing guaranteed, it's going to cost us more.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,855 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

nthclare wrote: »

I remember my grandmother Maggie thinking it was a load of bollocks,

Well that's better than Science.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 7 Dodgy Lou

statesaver wrote: »
    Kinda looks like it is turning into a doomsday cult.

It really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭quokula

The Ozone layer was a real issue and we took action and solved it.

Climate change is a real issue with much larger consequences, and we have the ability to take action and solve it, but so far we've failed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There's a big scare on at the moment and it seems the millennials are the most scared.

I'm in my mid 40's and remember the whole ozone layer scare in the 80'sand it's supposedly closing up again...

I remember my grandmother Maggie thinking it was a load of bollocks, supposedly we'd be all burnt to a crisp by the end of the century.
    She was right we survived and sorted out our CFCs came up with a simple solution...

Scaremongering for more taxes and keep ye all from just getting on with it I think.
    Well of course younger people will be scared the most, they're the ones who face an uncertain future. You've got your best years behind you (no offense intended), probably sorted with a house and job

But your grandmother was wrong? If it was a load of bollocks no action would have been taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

There's pretty sound science there but all these marches and people walking to work over taking the car is pissing in the wind, when a huge portion of the earth's carbon emissions are from a small group of corporations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,949 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Once it was nukes and nuclear winters, ozone layer, Y2K and now it's this. Every generation has their bogeyman.

There are real consequences but I doubt the people and corporations that matter are going to take any notice of schoolkids. Yeah let Greta speak at some UN gig, that's cute, now back to business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

What I find scariest is people blatantly ignoring science because they don't like what they're saying.
    Also how is make believe when we're destroying every natural habitat on the planet at a rate never seen before on Earth, including in Ireland? We need nature to exist.
    We just completely destroyed a wetlands area in Tallaght by pouring silt all over it. It had all kinds of wildlife living there. So this isn't just happening in India and China folks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Boggles wrote: »
    Well that's better than Science.

:rolleyes:

Well she was an atheist and passed away in 1987, her best friend was a flamboyant gay farmer called Dinjeo so I think she was quite ahead of the possee...

But sure undermine her all you like,but Maggie was quite cool for someone who was born in the early 20th century :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Well of course younger people will be scared the most, they're the ones who face an uncertain future. You've got your best years behind you (no offense intended), probably sorted with a house and job

But your grandmother was wrong? If it was a load of bollocks no action would have been taken.

She was saying that the scare mongering was a load of bollocks, she was confident that there's a solution, and they'll get rid of CFCs from aerosols...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jackboy

Also how is make believe when we're destroying every natural habitat on the planet at a rate never seen before on Earth, including in Ireland? We need nature to exist.
    We just completely destroyed a wetlands area in Tallaght by pouring silt all over it. It had all kinds of wildlife living there. So this isn't just happening in India and China folks.

This is true but there are no votes in it. This is why politicians (including green party) do not highlight these issues in a real way. We could protect and enhance habitats all over Ireland which would make a big difference. Instead we have Leo and Green party types waffling about carbon taxes which will have no impact on the environment.

The goverment thinks that covering the coutryside in sitka spruce is a green thing to do. Its the opposite. What went on with the Tallaght wetlands is actually beyond a local issue, it is a national disgrace that this could happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You just answered your own question I think

Fixing a problem is what happens when the world takes a decision to end the production of CFCs without that the holes over the poles would be much bigger than they were at their peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

I seen an interview recently with Christopher Monckton and he said there are 2 Irish scientists that have done a study on climate change and they have found the data being shared is actually not accurate . The thermometers used around the world are all in urban areas and urban areas get a little hotter the more urban and populated they become . Can’t remember the 2 guys names at the moment but he said he had invited them to a university on UK to speak and when the university found out what they were going to speak about they would no longer allow them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Just to warn you there lads, there's a thread in After Hours where people discuss stopping Climate Change Deniers from breeding, so you're all basically throwing your names forward for castration here. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Cina wrote: »
    Just to warn you there lads, there's a thread in After Hours where people discuss stopping Climate Change Deniers from breeding, so you're all basically throwing your names forward for castration here. Good luck.

I don't deny climate change, I'm just not too sure about mankind's role in it, was kinda happening long before we got stuck in (I'm 100% sure we've done our damage though).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Gonad wrote: »
    I seen an interview recently with Christopher Monckton and he said there are 2 Irish scientists that have done a study on climate change and they have found the data being shared is actually not accurate . The thermometers used around the world are all in urban areas and urban areas get a little hotter the more urban and populated they become . Can’t remember the 2 guys names at the moment but he said he had invited them to a university on UK to speak and when the university found out what they were going to speak about they would no longer allow them .

I would say there is a 99.99999% chance that's pure bullsh*t considering Christopher Monckton is a well known Climate Change Denier, Tory, UKIP pr*ck of the highest order.

Gonad wrote: »

This is another one of those simple answers that doesn't stand up to any scrutiny whatsoever. I'm not surprised a University (a place of learning) would revoke the invitation when these "scientists" were trying to push this fiction.

The urban heat island is a well known effect and calculations take it into consideration. Vast amounts of measurements are taken from outside urban areas when calculating global temperatures.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2004/12/the-surface-temperature-record-and-the-urban-heat-island/

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

It was acid rain when I was in school.I was afraid to leave the house when it was raining for fear of being dissolved.

bladespin wrote: »
    I don't deny climate change, I'm just not too sure about mankind's role in it, was kinda happening long before we got stuck in (I'm 100% sure we've done our damage though).

https://xkcd.com/1732/

Yes, this is just a comic panel but it's based on the real measured data that scientists have found, and it's a simple easily digestible way to see that man made climate change is way, way outside of natural variance.

There are plenty of proper studies with numbers if you don't want to believe the comic, but that will involve a lot more time investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

?m=02&d=20190201&t=2&i=1352173717&w=1200&r=LYNXNPEF0U1Q2

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 370 ✭✭WB Yokes

The kids are delighted with the time off school.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

quokula wrote: »

Wasn't it just a bit warmer than -4 when the planet formed? Not big bang time as I'm not sure temperature existed in the vacuum but a little after, during the volcanic (not very fun) cycles?

Still not trying to deny our contributions but as with the CFCs etc, once the knowledge is out etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

The Ozone layer didn't just close back up, we took action and changed our ways in order for it to fix itself. Climate change is real, and hopefully people change their ways before its too late on this one, because it will have much much bigger consequences for our children's children's children.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What I find scariest is people blatantly ignoring science because they don't like what they're saying.

Jobstown!

When??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

do the youth not feel invincible anymore?

something has gone badly wrong if a teenager is worrying about something that may happen in 50 years time

Advertisement