Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sodastream

Options
  • 30-03-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know how many liters of very fizzy water you get from a sodastream gas canister? It says 60 but I'm curious what the real world experience is.

We use about 45 500ml bottles per week and that amount of plastic waste is nuts. Working it out based on 60L the cost/L is about the same as shop bought, but if yield is significantly less it would work out expensive.

Thanks,
    TTS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Depends how fizzy you want it, i'd say you certainly get 50 litres anyway.

It's worth switching over to - it really annoyed me how much plastic bottles we were going through every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭timmythesheep

Depends how fizzy you want it, i'd say you certainly get 50 litres anyway.

It's worth switching over to - it really annoyed me how much plastic bottles we were going through every month.

Thermos now have a carbonated insulated flask, so fizz it then decant. Much better than all the single use plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Just ordered the OneTouch Hydration pack for £119 - https://sodastream.co.uk/products/spirit-one-touch delivered via AddressPal.

Hope it'll enable me to stop buying carbonated water which is a pain in the a$$ to have to go buy every week or two and ends up creating a lot of plastic waste.

Hope I can also use one of the CO2 adaptors to refill the SodaStream canisters myself, it's easy, dirt cheap and only takes 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭robbe

Be interested to hear how you get on with the self filling of cannisters.....considered it a few weeks ago when stock disappeared (or seemed to) of replacement cannisters from the Argos site. What put me off was knowing which cannister adaptor to buy - there are some relatively cheap ones available (mainly on ebay) and some more expensive ones (looks like the one in the vid you linked) which are around €50.......can you please post if and when you get set up?

Cheers
    54and56 wrote: »
    Just ordered the OneTouch Hydration pack for £119 - https://sodastream.co.uk/products/spirit-one-touch delivered via AddressPal.

Hope it'll enable me to stop buying carbonated water which is a pain in the a$$ to have to go buy every week or two and ends up creating a lot of plastic waste.

Hope I can also use one of the CO2 adaptors to refill the SodaStream canisters myself, it's easy, dirt cheap and only takes 30 seconds.

robbe wrote: »
    Be interested to hear how you get on with the self filling of cannisters.....considered it a few weeks ago when stock disappeared (or seemed to) of replacement cannisters from the Argos site. What put me off was knowing which cannister adaptor to buy - there are some relatively cheap ones available (mainly on ebay) and some more expensive ones (looks like the one in the vid you linked) which are around €50.......can you please post if and when you get set up?

Cheers

Hi Robbe,

I just purchased this adapter which should be delivered this week.

The home brew guys have a constant requirement for Co2 so I found this thread which recommends one place in Bray (which suits me as I'm in Sandyford) where you can buy a filled 5KG cylinder for a once off €45 and then have it refilled for €10 once it's empty, see https://goo.gl/maps/YwdNZfRJyswWcgJe7 The Co2 needs to be "Food Safe" apparently so check that it is before getting it refilled.
    I'm sure there must be lot's of similar places around the country.

Given the Sodastream cylinder is less than 0.5KG of Co2 I guess I'll get 10X Sodastream refills out of one €10 refill of the 5KG cylinder.

€1 per refill DIY Vs €28 per Sodastream sounds a good plan to me plus I'll only have to refill the 5KG once or twice max a year.

Edit: I have an aquarium hobby and use www.seahorseaquariums.com all the time. They sell a 3L filled cyclinder for €130 and after that refills would be €30 a go. Not as cheap as the place in Bray but they confirmed to me their Co2 is "Food Safe" so might be a more secure supply chain. 3L for €30 would equate to €5 a refill of the Sodastream cylinder so still a very good saving on €28.

• Advertisement

Its funny this thread has come up because it's something I've been thinking about for a while. I too am both fed up with the amount of single use plastic I use and even more annoyed at the amount other people use.

When you go into the local shop and there is a huge fridge of plastic bottles and you know they are all going to be used only once... Imagine how much better things would be if instead you went into the shop with your refillable soda bottle, selected Coke, and got freshly carbonated, chilled Coca-Cola, into your bottle.

I just looked at some Soda stream syrups. 500ml of tonic concentrate costs £15, and makes 12 litres of tonic water.

I've already made changes myself, e.g. I have a keep cup for my morning cup of tea during my commute and throughout the day. I have a number of refillable water bottles for water through out the day, one which lives in my bag and another which lives in my desk drawer.

I definitely think I will go down this route to reduce my plastic dependency even further.

I bought the soda stream about 2 years ago after it came up on a boards.ie bargain thread......we use quite a bit of sparkling water and like you I was not happy with the amount of plastic bottles used and then discarded. Overall the experience has been positive with the one slightly negative being the relatively expensive co2 cannister refills (€17.99) and the fact that there is only 1 provider (Argos). It wouldn't stop me from buying if I had to make the decision again but the potential to buy a larger c02 cannister and refill a number of times without having to darken Argos's doors is pleasing.

Its funny this thread has come up because it's something I've been thinking about for a while. I too am both fed up with the amount of single use plastic I use and even more annoyed at the amount other people use.

When you go into the local shop and there is a huge fridge of plastic bottles and you know they are all going to be used only once... Imagine how much better things would be if instead you went into the shop with your refillable soda bottle, selected Coke, and got freshly carbonated, chilled Coca-Cola, into your bottle.

I just looked at some Soda stream syrups. 500ml of tonic concentrate costs £15, and makes 12 litres of tonic water.

I've already made changes myself, e.g. I have a keep cup for my morning cup of tea during my commute and throughout the day. I have a number of refillable water bottles for water through out the day, one which lives in my bag and another which lives in my desk drawer.

I definitely think I will go down this route to reduce my plastic dependency even further.

Likewise, I'm no eco warrior I can assure you but I recently had a Eureka moment ref the un-sustainability and pure commercial waste of single use anything so like you I've gone from bringing a single use capsule coffee in a disposable cup in the car on the way to work to a keep cup with coffee made using an AeroPress which is almost as convenient and actually makes much better coffee so win win.

Getting rid of single use carbonated water bottles plus not having to go to the shop for them is what drove me towards the SodaStream and having had it for a few days it's already totally replaced the bottles I used to buy. I purchased the One Touch Electric Hydration Pack and I just rotate the 4 bottles which come with it. As I finish one I quickly refill and carbonate it, stick it in the fridge and grab a cold one to have with me. Simple, effective, cost saving and it surprisingly tastes just as good as the bottled water I was buying if not a little better.

If I can get the DIY refilling to work I'll be a very happy bunny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

So I was reading somewhere recently about using a sodastream for sparkling water & off I went and bought the starter kit in Argos - having checked that they also sold the refills - all going great & massive amount of plastic eliminated.

Now I need a refill and they haven't been available in Argos for the last month - is there any other suppliers around? Preferably Clare/Limerick/Galway area

Failing that, how easy/difficult is it to get the CO2 mentioned above? I'm disgusted at having paid out money for something only to have the refills disappear now :mad::mad:

Well my refill ran out on Sunday so I was going to buy one or two in Argos so I'd have 3 and therefore top them up at the same time every couple of months using the converter I bought.

I haven't purchased a tank of CO2 yet though :-(

If worst comes to the worst I'll buy two on Amazon.co.uk and if they don't deliver to Ireland user either Parcel Wizard or Address Pal to have them delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The Range have the syrups apparently so they may have the co2 canisters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

The Range have the syrups apparently so they may have the co2 canisters as well.

I tried The Range in Limerick - they had the syrups and the bottles to make the drinks in & even the machines, but not the co2 cannisters

Just on the subject of refills - can I ask if you've checked in the actual store (or called them if they possess an actual store number rather than a call centre)...I ask this because the refills disappeared from the argos site but they are actually available when you call in (subject to them having any stock of course)...could be worth checking this first rather than getting additional cannisters......

This is somewhat ironic. Using a soda stream to be more environmentally friendly. Climate change due to excessive CO2 in the atmosphere and the adopters of the SodaStream can't find the CO2 which it requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Arsing about with refills was the main reason I decided to just wean myself off my sparkling water habit rather than replacing it with a Soda Stream. Easier, cheaper and better for the environment in the long run.

(Soda Streams are also made in Israel, for anyone that may have an issue with that. Wasn't a concern for me but it may be for some.)

This is somewhat ironic. Using a soda stream to be more environmentally friendly. Climate change due to excessive CO2 in the atmosphere and the adopters of the SodaStream can't find the CO2 which it requires.

Well I'm content that reusable Sodatream CO2 bottled water is much less harmful to the environment than single use plastic bottle CO2 water which also necessitates buring carbon as I frequently travel to and from the supermarket to source it.

Would it be better for the environment if I just drank plain tap water? Yes, no question but I'm not going to do it and I'm comfortable with that.

Would it be better for the environment if I topped myself so I stopped emitting harmful gasses myself? Yes, no question but I'm not going to do that either and I'm (very) comfortable with that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭Raoul

Well I'm content that reusable Sodatream CO2 bottled water is much less harmful to the environment than single use plastic bottle CO2 water which also necessitates buring carbon as I frequently travel to and from the supermarket to source it.

Would it be better for the environment if I just drank plain tap water? Yes, no question but I'm not going to do it and I'm comfortable with that.

Would it be better for the environment if I topped myself so I stopped emitting harmful gasses myself? Yes, no question but I'm not going to do that either and I'm (very) comfortable with that :-)

:D:D:D

Raoul wrote: »
    :D:D:D

SJW's are just soooooooooo boring.

Pleasing-everyone1570126158.jpg

I wasn't criticising you, just saying I love the irony. Read my earlier comments, I plan to get a sodastream myself.

If worst comes to the worst I'll buy two on Amazon.co.uk and if they don't deliver to Ireland user either Parcel Wizard or Address Pal to have them delivered.

Well that didn't work out well. Shelled out £49 for 2 X gas refills from Sodastream.co.uk who wouldn't ship to my home address in Dublin or Parcel Wizard in NI so ever resourseful I thought I'd show them and routed the delivery via Address Pal in Hatfield. DPD duly delivered but Address Pal rejected the package for containing a prohibited item (I assume gas cylinders are prohibited) so my two refills are on their way back to Sodastream who will no doubt charge me a re-stocking fee on top of the wasted delivery charge.

Argos seem to be still out of stock. Anyone know of any other gas refill stockists in South Dublin?

• Advertisement

Well that didn't work out well. Shelled out £49 for 2 X gas refills from Sodastream.co.uk who wouldn't ship to my home address in Dublin or Parcel Wizard in NI so ever resourseful I thought I'd show them and routed the delivery via Address Pal in Hatfield. DPD duly delivered but Address Pal rejected the package for containing a prohibited item (I assume gas cylinders are prohibited) so my two refills are on their way back to Sodastream who will no doubt charge me a re-stocking fee on top of the wasted delivery charge.

Argos seem to be still out of stock. Anyone know of any other gas refill stockists in South Dublin?

I was in Argos Dundrum yesterday getting an exchange cylinder and they had 35 in stock......just not showing on site. Not sure about new cylinders however....

robbe wrote: »
    I was in Argos Dundrum yesterday getting an exchange cylinder and they had 35 in stock......just not showing on site. Not sure about new cylinders however....

Just told the young lad to throw the old cylinder in a back pack and hop on the Luas!!

Thanks Robbe.

Will update on what the story is with stock in Dundrum Argos later.

Refill for €20 done and dusted in 60 seconds.

Don't know about new cylinders, young lad got the refill and hopped back on the Luas.

Sparkling water all round with dinner.

Have ordered two of these which are easier to re-fill than the new Sodastream cylinders which have a trickier valve.

I'll get to filling my own cylinders eventually :o

Thinking of making the change over to sodastream myself, you guys have made me feel bad about all the single use plastic!!! Which is the best option on the site at the moment? The Spirit or the Spirit One Touch, no idea really what the difference is.

At the moment nobody has the refill thing working, so exchanging the canister in Argos for 18 euro seems to be the best way to refill.

Then it works out at 50L for 18 euro. Which is about 36c per liter. It is twice as much as the Tesco sparkling water but I do find that I only get about .75L of sparkling water out of the 2L bottle as it is flat after a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thinking of making the change over to sodastream myself, you guys have made me feel bad about all the single use plastic!!! Which is the best option on the site at the moment? The Spirit or the Spirit One Touch, no idea really what the difference is.

Would you not just wean yourself off sparkling water altogether? It really is the best option from an environmental point of view. I had a 2L a day habit and absolutely LOATHE the mouthfeel of still water but managed to make the change with the help of an infuser bottle and lots of cucumber.

I like sparkling water as a treat. I drink water all day and I like to come home and have a glass of sparkling water. I don't drink alcohol, so one or two glasses of sparkling water is how I go absolutely mental!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭RonTon

At the moment nobody has the refill thing working, so exchanging the canister in Argos for 18 euro seems to be the best way to refill.

Then it works out at 50L for 18 euro. Which is about 36c per liter. It is twice as much as the Tesco sparkling water but I do find that I only get about .75L of sparkling water out of the 2L bottle as it is flat after a day!

The one touch is a great bit of kit and on the soda stream UK site there is regular deals (combo packs) to watch out for ,you do need to have it plugged in tho so something to consider ,when I was ordering I had to ring them as website wouldn’t accept the parcel/address pal , I should of ordered an extra gas cylinder at the time to have a spare

RonTon wrote: »

The one touch is a great bit of kit and on the soda stream UK site there is regular deals (combo packs) to watch out for ,you do need to have it plugged in tho so something to consider ,when I was ordering I had to ring them as website wouldn’t accept the parcel/address pal , I should of ordered an extra gas cylinder at the time to have a spare

I got the one touch as part of a hydration package and love the way you just press the button for the required amount of gas and Bob's your uncle. In finding the kids are beginning to use it as a replacement for the limited amount of fizzy drinks that would have found their way into the fridge every few weeks and we're beginning to experiment with natural (no added sugar) syrups to flavour the water.

So far, bar the delay getting the self serve CO2 refill up and running, I couldn't be happier and I was sceptical buying it that after an initial honeymoon period it would gather dust.

So has anyone got the refill working with the cheaper alternative means?

• Advertisement

So has anyone got the refill working with the cheaper alternative means?

No, not yet. Just sent my cylinder off to be refilled at Argos for the 3rd/4th time. I have the refill adapter but haven't gotten round to getting the CO2 cylinder yet.

It's on the to-do list but hasn't risen to the top yet :o

Advertisement