Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much more student accommodation does Galway need?

Options
  • 22-09-2019 3:42am

Has anyone seen figures about the amount of student accommodation that Galway is in need of? There seem to have been a lot of large new developments for students approved in the last few years.

I'm just curious if there will be that much of a demand going forward especially given student numbers are going down (maybe foreign enrollments will go up?) or is this all just a stealth way to get summer tourist accommodation approved?

When I went to college about a decade ago, people didn't want to live in campus accommodation past 1st or 2nd year because its so much more expensive and restrictive.

Goldcrest beside Corrib Village opened less than a year ago and the new developments that I'm aware of that have been approved/are being built:

Westwood hotel redevelopment

NUIG Dangan development

Couldn't find an article on it but I've been told the houses going in at the top of presentation road are for NUIG postgraduates

Fairgreen road

Seeking permission:

Munster Avenue

Beside cuirt na coiribe

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Two words: tax incentives.

Not based on real demand, and we were here during the property bubble years with tax incentive fueled apartments and holiday homes going up like wildfire in places like Leitrim, Roscommon and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Foreign enrollments has gone up.
    NUIG has circa 1000 students from India this new term

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Foreign enrollments has gone up.
    NUIG has circa 1000 students from India this new term

Correct, NUIG is taking in a huge amount of foreign students to balance the books. They pay through the nose.

1000 from India alone - are you sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Considering numbers who've had serious issues finding accommodation in past few years there is a considerable need for more flats/apartments for students.
    Yes some developments will be used in summer for tourists but from my experience it certainly is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

JupiterKid wrote: »

Not based on real demand, and we were here during the property bubble years with tax incentive fueled apartments and holiday homes going up like wildfire in places like Leitrim, Roscommon and Mayo.

Not any more these are gone

Massive amount going up
    NUIG has c 1050
    Westwood 394
    Barretts at Dock Road 350
    Swuite 50+
    Cuirt Na coiribe proposal 272
    Fairgreen 147

Getting close to 2500 beds , probably more as well i missed

Connacht laundry could be a good one but more likely apartments ditto Corrib GS

Loads of students
    and frees up houses for workers /rental market
    are the main drivers

Good profit margin too I am sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that NUIG has over 18,000 students, the city needs thousands more houses/apts of all types to satisfy demand and latent demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

JupiterKid wrote: »

The former Section 23/48/50 tax reliefs are all gone now.

Massive profits in student accomm.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Loads of houses in the Renmore area that were formally student houses are now sold to families. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere but can see how there would be a lot of demand for new student housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Mr_A wrote: »
    Loads of houses in the Renmore area that were formally student houses are now sold to families.

Wonder has there been a similar effect in Newcastle? Does not seem to be as many students in Laurel Park any more compared to the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr_A wrote: »
    Loads of houses in the Renmore area that were formally student houses are now sold to families. Not sure if it's the same elsewhere but can see how there would be a lot of demand for new student housing.

Predictable effect of the govts policies .. landlords getting out of the business cos it's too hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 t.singh1

I have lived in Newcastle and Westside last year and I can safely say that they are populated by students. NUIG seems to admit lot of students each year especially from Asian countries like India and China. There is definitely a need for more student accommodation in the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Wonder has there been a similar effect in Newcastle? Does not seem to be as many students in Laurel Park any more compared to the past.

Not yet but there may be once the various new developments in the area come on stream

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

youngrun wrote: »
    and frees up houses for workers /rental market

the realist in me is inclined to believe the few properties available to rent on daft will remain pretty much the same while options on airb&b will rise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

t.singh1 wrote: »
    I have lived in Newcastle and Westside last year and I can safely say that they are populated by students. NUIG seems to admit lot of students each year especially from Asian countries like India and China. There is definitely a need for more student accommodation in the city.

There is purpose built accommodation in Rahoon - Dunaras so would have many students going via Westside, but residential Newcastle seems to me not as busy as compared with 10/15 years ago

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement