Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fuel efficient budget car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d avoid the older 1.6 TDIs if I were you,

I also wouldn’t be buying from phone-box traders, which both those ads seem to be, its the worst of both worlds, no comeback as per a private sale, but also buying off someone who’s better at selling than you are at buying, and will lie about anything to get a sale.

Results vary of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’d avoid the older 1.6 TDIs if I were you,

I also wouldn’t be buying from phone-box traders, which both those ads seem to be, its the worst of both worlds, no comeback as per a private sale, but also buying off someone who’s better at selling than you are at buying, and will lie about anything to get a sale.

Results vary of course.

That's a fair point, I have been looking at a few garages but the prices are always a bit out of budget. What year did the better 1.6's start at?

2013 new model I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I know you said avensis, would Corolla be too small?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/141-toyota-corolla/22651310

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

Assuming that the mileage is genuine, and it has a service history, I'd take a chance on the Skoda. 96'000 Klms is not excessive on that engine, they are economical fuel and tax wise, plenty of room. When buying anything in that price / year bracket, everyone will have their own favorite's, but the bottom line is no matter which car you choose, they all have the possibility to give trouble. So luck will play a part anyway. Good Luck with what ever you buy.

• Advertisement

Peatys wrote: »

No size isn't an issue, no price on that unfortunately so no idea if it is budget

jmreire wrote: »
    Assuming that the mileage is genuine, and it has a service history, I'd take a chance on the Skoda. 96'000 Klms is not excessive on that engine, they are economical fuel and tax wise, plenty of room. When buying anything in that price / year bracket, everyone will have their own favorite's, but the bottom line is no matter which car you choose, they all have the possibility to give trouble. So luck will play a part anyway. Good Luck with what ever you buy.

A previous commenter mentioned to avoid the older 1.6 diesel engines. Absolutely luck will play a part but just trying to avoid any known issues with cars around that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

I'd be looking at a hybrid- automatic,cheap tax/ fuel ,uber reliable,honda fit hybrid,honda insight/ or an older Prius

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Octavia.... How can one misspelled this.....

I'd be worried who is selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Half your budget will buy you one of these easily

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-skoda-octavia-1-9tdi-low-mileage/22961936

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/skoda-octavia-2009-estate/22708433

Old school 100bhp pd tdi
    Very easy on diesel.

1.5d Renault fluence could be worth a look too.

• Advertisement

I'd be looking at a hybrid- automatic,cheap tax/ fuel ,uber reliable,honda fit hybrid,honda insight/ or an older Prius

Never thought about hybrid. How good are the older models? I'm honestly open to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

kevin306 wrote: »
    A previous commenter mentioned to avoid the older 1.6 diesel engines. Absolutely luck will play a part but just trying to avoid any known issues with cars around that age.

Google:
    Octavia 1.6 CR TDi ownership and reliability - Skoda Octavia Mk

And see what Skoda owners of 1.6 TDI engines have to say.....only point I would make is that while the 1.6 does what it say's on the tin, personally, I'd go for the 2.0 ltr engine. But in the family, we have 4 Skoda's....all powered by the 1.6 tdi engine, and so far no problems whatsoever. The present ones are a bit newer than 2011 though, but when we did have a 2011 and a 2012 1.6 Octavia's,,, never a bother on them either. But this is my experience with them, other's may have not had the same. And like everything mechanical, no one has built the perfect machine yet..:rolleyes:

You haven’t a hope of getting that for anywhere near 6 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You haven’t a hope of getting that for anywhere near 6 grand.

Estimate the cost please. Looks a nice car.

At least €11k I would have thought

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Number plate cover up always puts me off, Annoying.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Number plate cover up always puts me off, Annoying.

141WH485. Feel better :D

141WH485. Feel better :D

Were did you get that from?

I looked at the picture of the front of the car!

Picture 1 of 9. Zoom in.

I looked at the picture of the front of the car!

Picture 1 of 9. Zoom in.

Your eyesight's better then mine,will let owner know to try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi. Are you around the limerick area?? I only ask cause I know of a good dealer in north cork. He’s a skoda dealer and always has a good range of trades in cars. They’d have been cars that he would have sold day one and serviced and then taken them in as trade ins !!!

Not sure if I’m allowed mention the dealership on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭cute geoge

That skoda is a cracking price ,new model one 1.6d here and i highly recommend them .New model look far nicer but i guess would be alot more dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I recently got an Opel Corsa diesel hatchback (2018) and took a weekend trip from Dublin to Leitrim and Sligo, including driving around while there. I filled my tank before trip and topped it up on return just to see how much fuel was used.

Grand total of €23.

Cheaper than the train ffs!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Estimate the cost please. Looks a nice car.

Have a look on the likes of carzone and see the average price of a 2014 diesel Corolla. I'd think at least twice the OP's budget for a decent one.

kevin306 wrote:
    Never thought about hybrid. How good are the older models? I'm honestly open to anything.

I'm on my 2nd insight, cheapest are the honda fit( jazz) hybrid and honda insight ,they're extremely reliable,only model of insight to be wary of are the 2012 model( oil problems) I've a 12 model - fab,going private you'll pick up a near spotless one for decent money - if near Dublin Declan Gill motors santry is your man,nothing in Cork can compare ,his prices and warranty are vv competitive,other than that DD,any queries p.m. me and I'll answer any questions etc,or I'll submit a phone number

adam88 wrote:
    Hi. Are you around the limerick area?? I only ask cause I know of a good dealer in north cork. He’s a skoda dealer and always has a good range of trades in cars. They’d have been cars that he would have sold day one and serviced and then taken them in as trade ins !!!

Tarrant?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It seems unusual to me that all 3 previous owners of that purple Octavia only managed to accumulate 93k km between them in 7 years of ownership. Just saying. It's also a base model which doesn't even have air conditioning or cruise control.

adam88 wrote: »

Not sure if I’m allowed mention the dealership on here

From South Limerick so north cork wouldn't be far. What is the dealers name?

bazz26 wrote: »
    It seems unusual to me that all 3 previous owners of that purple Octavia only managed to accumulate 93k km between them in 7 years of ownership. Just saying. It's also a base model which doesn't even have air conditioning or cruise control.

Yes it is unusual alright, I guess if it has service history NCT certs that will tell the true story

• Advertisement

I'm on my 2nd insight, cheapest are the honda fit( jazz) hybrid and honda insight ,they're extremely reliable,only model of insight to be wary of are the 2012 model( oil problems) I've a 12 model - fab,going private you'll pick up a near spotless one for decent money - if near Dublin Declan Gill motors santry is your man,nothing in Cork can compare ,his prices and warranty are vv competitive,other than that DD,any queries p.m. me and I'll answer any questions etc,or I'll submit a phone number

And what kind of mpg would you typically get on the insights?

Advertisement