Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winning lotto ticket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

DrPhilG wrote: »
    A fella up North won £8 or 9m a good few years back. Driving around in a Ferrari, flaunting it like mad. Allegedly flew hookers in from England etc. Which led to his missus walking away with half of the money. He spiralled downwards, drugs and hoores etc and is now on the dole and back living in his ma's house.

:pac:

Fools and their money are easily parted.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭rodders999

Greentopia wrote: »

Mam...is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

If one was to win 190 million, what percentage would u give to family friends and charity.

I went to do it online and u can only buy a ticket between the hours of 7am-10pm. Then u also have to put in a minimum of a tenner to your balance. Also u need to verify ure id.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd go out and buy a bag of grated cheese. No more grating my own cheese like some sort of pleb.

rodders999 wrote: »
    Mam...is that you?

Yes. Off to bed with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd go out and buy a bag of grated cheese. No more grating my own cheese like some sort of pleb.

Flash git!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

If one was to win 190 million, what percentage would u give to family friends and charity.

I went to do it online and u can only buy a ticket between the hours of 7am-10pm. Then u also have to put in a minimum of a tenner to your balance. Also u need to verify ure id.

TBH I'd nearly rather win 4 million, it'd be easier to keep quiet. If I won 190 million your whole life would change. Every f*cking bum and long distant relative, so called friends would hound you , not to mention your family members could get kidnapped. I wouldn't be able for that. If I needed up with a house paid off and have enough money to never work again that'd do me

TBH I'd nearly rather win 4 million, it'd be easier to keep quiet. If I won 190 million your whole life would change. Every f*cking bum and long distant relative, so called friends would hound you , not to mention your family members could get kidnapped. I wouldn't be able for that. If I needed up with a house paid off and have enough money to never work again that'd do me

Then don't tell them? or if you have a big close family tell only those you know won't spread it around that you've won say half a million, so that would account for the new...car, house, whatever in your life. Spread the rest in foreign bank accounts, property, shares or whatever you want that's safe.

Or you could give most of it away to different charities before anyone got wind of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

BDI wrote: »
    Put it in a condom and eat it, then poop it out in my bank managers office Monday morning.

He’d happily wipe for me.
    Go around to his house right now, His wife is probably there as probably she is a ''Kept Woman''. He who hesitate's is lost etc.......

I'd put the lotto ticket in my wallet, and I'd keep it on me at all times. Wouldn't leave the house much I don't think. Might book a hotel for the weekend with a safe in the room where I'd hangout in relative safety from potential theft.

Then Monday morning I'd hit the motorway and handbrake-turn my car into a parking space at Lotto HQ.

I reckon, if I won €190m, I'd probably have a nicer house, nicer car, and a few holidays per year. The next year would be riddled with holidays, planning permission notices, drawing up the house plans, picking a car (or two).. After that it'd just be back to normal I'd say. As would most people, I imagine.

You'd still be eating your slice of toast in the morning, with a cup of tea. Everything you own might be a bit nicer, but how you live you day-to-day life probably wouldn't change that drastically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I organise the work Euromillions syndicate. 20 of us are in it. The tickets are always left in a locked cabinet overnight, and they are all quick picks, so I wouldn't find out until Monday morning at the earliest.

I will be throwing a few quid on it myself today too. The ticket will be kept in my wallet, but I probably won't check it until Monday either, unless I hear that the winning ticket was sold in Cork.

If my own ticket wins the jackpot, I can only hope that my co-workers don't think I somehow ripped them off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Zaph wrote: »
    Flash git!

If I've got 'Fúck you' money, I'm gonna flaunt it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd spend half the weekend working out what percentage I'll be giving to various family and friends, how much I'm prepared to drop on my local community (pay for a youth club, pool for the community centre etc), and the rest planning the renovations to the house and on the lookout for a bit of land locally where I could build my dream workshop/garage.

The ticket wouldn't leave my wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Fortunately his ex wife who took half of it has invested it well and lives a very comfortable life. Well away from the gobshyte in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'd give away €90m pretty sharpish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

How many big actors/actresses, musicians, CEO's, etc families do you hear of getting kidnapped??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I don't think I'd give any money to charity but rather set up my own - that way you can control exactly where the money is going.
    Set up free bus routes for the elderly in remote villages to get into town, free travel for anybody having to leave their county to receive treatment - cancer etc.
    Privately fund schools, pay for special needs teacher etc
    Rather than pumping big money into a large charity spend time finding the few people that need direct support and make a change that allows them to give the best possible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

You could pretty much pay off all your friends and family’s mortgage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

How many big actors/actresses, musicians, CEO's, etc families do you hear of getting kidnapped??

I don't think there's too many actors or musicians worth 190 million in Ireland. They kidnap people's families to do tiger kidnappings for a couple of hundred thousands, 190 million makes you a very big target

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So leave the people I know and trust all my life behind to get a new set of rich superficial assholes who I can't trust because they might be only interested in you because I have money now like them? no thanks.
    They're the last people I'd want near me.

My friends are there for me no matter what. People who are loaded would drop you like a stone if you suddenly found yourself poor again.

It's not to become "best buds" with a new group of superficial assholes... it's to be in an environment where significant money isn't anything unusual and thus not questioned.

Bit different than living in your average housing estate but with a Ferrrari outside and everyone on the street trying to be your new best friends.

But like you, I have no ties to where I am now so could leave in the morning without a second thought.
    It would of course change my circumstances in where I live, but not really how I live. The only changes would be in where I live in the country, that I could travel more, having land and a bigger garden with a house with one more bedroom, and having my fiancee join me here sooner than we planned.
    Oh and I'd probably buy a used car for him and one for me, for transport.
    That's it.

See that to me is a pointless waste of the opportunity. If you play to win that sort of money (no-one ever gambles hoping they come second or third!) then why not enjoy it fully?

Having the same lifestyle with no real changes beyond what you could probably get with a better job just seems pointless.

I wouldn't go nuts.. as I said, most of it would be invested/saved anyway and I'd live off the interest but major spends would include 2/3 properties in different parts of Ireland (one probably being a penthouse apartment in Dublin for when I'm up there), look after my sister by buying a place for her wherever she wants and a few million to enjoy herself, clear all my debts instantly and buy myself a top-spec Audi A8 (no flash sports cars for me :)) and Q7 along with all the bits for my new homes of course.

I'd then look into a holiday home abroad and do some travelling while I think about what to do for the rest of my life. I can't see myself going back to a full time job, but I think I'd want to do SOMETHING

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I organise the work Euromillions syndicate. 20 of us are in it. The tickets are always left in a locked cabinet overnight, and they are all quick picks, so I wouldn't find out until Monday morning at the earliest.

I will be throwing a few quid on it myself today too. The ticket will be kept in my wallet, but I probably won't check it until Monday either, unless I hear that the winning ticket was sold in Cork.

If my own ticket wins the jackpot, I can only hope that my co-workers don't think I somehow ripped them off.

They will definitely think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Wheety wrote: »
    They will definitely think that.

There'll be bitching and court cases over that !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Can you not just buy these relatives everything? A house, a car etc.

Set up a very hefty DD every week for them?

you can if you are happy for them to give 1/3 of it to the tax man

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

cjmc wrote: »
    There'll be bitching and court cases over that !

The person in our place scans them and emails them to everyone before the draw. They're quickpicks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,746 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I'd help a lot of people, but also buy a proven business that is making good profit. I'd keep all the staff and business going and live on that profit while travelling the world. Some people win the lottery and have fun spending the lot, I'd love to start a legacy so that it's beneficial for my family, my families family, my families family family so on , generations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

you can if you are happy for them to give 1/3 of it to the tax man

Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of it. What if it stayed in your/the winner's name?

Should one want to transfer a name/deeds of a property at a later date for example, would they be penalised heavily? Would it be then the tax issue comes into play.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,205 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of it. What if it stayed in your/the winner's name?

Should one want to transfer a name/deeds of a property at a later date for example, would they be penalised heavily? Would it be then the tax issue comes into play.

I dont work for the revenue so i couldn't really tell you. Revenue are known for getting their cut though. not an easy bunch to fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don't think there's too many actors or musicians worth 190 million in Ireland. They kidnap people's families to do tiger kidnappings for a couple of hundred thousands, 190 million makes you a very big target

There are plenty of people worth tens of millions in Ireland. Surely their families would be as big a target as someone with 190m?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_people_by_net_worth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I use the app so wouldn't have to worry about the ticket. I would spend the weekend spending money I'd have on Monday and figuring out how to leave work without arousing suspicion.

I wouldn't even call in, just wouldn't show for work ... that would be it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Wheety wrote: »
    The person in our place scans them and emails them to everyone before the draw. They're quickpicks too.

Exactly what I do. But somehow, I just know that one or two of them would still secretly be questioning it!

Advertisement