Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Growler refills

• 19-09-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Places that do growler refills these days? Galway Bay Brewery pubs and Carryout Tyrrelstown I know do. Anyone know anywhere else?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some ex Superquinn SuperValu stores, Lucan for one. Usually one or two taps only

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Dellboy54 wrote: »
    Places that do growler refills these days? Galway Bay Brewery pubs and Carryout Tyrrelstown I know do. Anyone know anywhere else?

Lot of places gave them up because of low demand. I see an odd one here and there, McHugh's Artane branch had one last I saw but don't think there was anything pouring.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

JW Sweetman may still. Urban Brewing does crowlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

in the states where growlers sell a lot, the beers sold for growlers are mostly not available in bottles/cans

in ireland they tried to sell growlers of beer already available in bottles (punk ipa etc) but with a premium price. no surprise there wasn't much demand...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'd imagine any pub would fill one for you of any beer you wanted, for the appropriate price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My local SuperValu sells growlers, but I've never gotten one, not have I ever seen someone but one.

How long will the beer stay fresh ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mikeecho wrote: »
    How long will the beer stay fresh ?
    I don't know of anyone who has tested this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My SuperValu has had two taps for ages, even a sign advertising but when I asked they said it never worked. As above though, why would I fill a growler when it's the same price as a can or bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

L1011 wrote: »
    Some ex Superquinn SuperValu stores, Lucan for one. Usually one or two taps only

I'd frequent Sundrive, Walkinstown and Knocklyon a lot for the shopping and I've not seen them look like Growlers are in stock anymore. The taps are still there but the tap area's in all three shops have turned into dumps for loose cans and bottles etc. A pity as I'd like the deposit back on me three growler bottles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

Found out that Quishs supervalue in Ballincollig still sell growlers and have craft on tap. Its a a bit of a drive for me though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

I'd frequent Sundrive, Walkinstown and Knocklyon a lot for the shopping and I've not seen them look like Growlers are in stock anymore. The taps are still there but the tap area's in all three shops have turned into dumps for loose cans and bottles etc. A pity as I'd like the deposit back on me three growler bottles :)

Yeh, SV Sundrive pushed it for about 6 months when they brought it in about 2 years ago. Died a death then due to lack of demand. Think I got the Growler bottle free as an introductory offer but just gathering dust now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

elderberry wrote: »
    Yeh, SV Sundrive pushed it for about 6 months when they brought it in about 2 years ago. Died a death then due to lack of demand. Think I got the Growler bottle free as an introductory offer but just gathering dust now!

Me too, in fact I recently threw mine out I think. At €14 a refill, better value to be had on Cans and bottles.

Next Door O'Connors Wicklow town sell and refill growlers apparently. Growler Man filling station

Just looked at the signage in my local SV, hidden behind a display of cans. 7euro per litre refill, bar an exceptional beer, why would i pay so much when cans and bottles are cheaper. I like the idea of growlers but they really messed up the marketing and market.

The growlers are still on the shelf, might ask the manager would he do a discount to clear a few out.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Just looked at the signage in my local SV, hidden behind a display of cans. 7euro per litre refill, bar an exceptional beer, why would i pay so much when cans and bottles are cheaper. I like the idea of growlers but they really messed up the marketing and market.

The growlers are still on the shelf, might ask the manager would he do a discount to clear a few out.

Presuming the contents of the growlers is closer to draft than cans or bottle. Also its not miles off the price of cans or bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

CramCycle wrote: »

You might want to hurry up; the tap area has been removed from a few shops in the last week or two.

You might want to hurry up; the tap area has been removed from a few shops in the last week or two.

Removed from mine last night, growlers are still there but the guy in the shop wasn't sure if they could sell or give them away anymore.

Advertisement