Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big toes ruining socks\runners

Options
  • 06-09-2019 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before and if so, how do you mitigate against it. The default position of both my big toes seem to come up a little higher than normal and end up making holes in my socks and then up through the tops of my runners. This happens not just with runners but shoes also.

Can stretching my feet out resolve this or is it just something I need to live with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue before and if so, how do you mitigate against it. The default position of both my big toes seem to come up a little higher than normal and end up making holes in my socks and then up through the tops of my runners. This happens not just with runners but shoes also.

Can stretching my feet out resolve this or is it just something I need to live with?

keeping my nails short as possible has been the only thing to kind of help but it's always the first thing to ruin a pair of runners for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I was told by someone before you can get a little patch sown in where the big toe pushes but i've never looked into it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Some brands of runners (Asics?) are more susceptible to this than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Ceepo

It's common enough.
    In a lot if cases it comes from have a weak tibialis anterior muscle and the flexor hallucis muscle kicks in to help out the ankle to dorsiflex..
    When you are in bare feet, trying bringing you ankle into dorsiflexion, and see if your big toe is lifting up as well...

If it is, then you need to work that Anterior tibialis without your moving your big toe..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Had this happen on occasion too, I used to put those sticky puncture repair patches on the inside of the rubbed area of of my runner and it prevented it without causing any discomfort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Had this happen on occasion too, I used to put those sticky puncture repair patches on the inside of the rubbed area of of my runner and it prevented it without causing any discomfort

Good shout.

I have the same issue and the guy in the shop where I bought my first expensive pair of runners recommended kinesiology tape. Also advised to use a hairdryer on it as it would help it stick better. It certainly helps but it's tricky to get the piece tape in there, maybe smaller hands would work!

I only started running last year so this was never an issue but using a good nail file on my big toes makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Buy good runners like Nike, stay away from that ASICS dirt! I have the same problem but my current Nike’s have lasted years. Have an old pair of adidas that are perfect too (apart from fact I spilled paint on them a year ago and ruined them)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Have the issue all the time with Brooks.

And always only on the left big toe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Yep, big left toe every time, yet I keep buying ASICS!

Advertisement