Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

83K per annum: Need suggestions for places for renting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

What about moving to somewhere like Swords? It's a nice area (in my opinion - but I'm moving to there soon so I might be biased), your budget will go much further, you have the Swords Express which goes to North Wall Quay via the Port Tunnel (takes 30-45 mins depending on traffic), there's loads of schools, a cinema which offers good family deals and a decent shopping centre. You'd get a lovely place for about €2,000 - €2,200 a month, which would leave a lot of disposable income.

Not with only one income and two kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Not with only one income and two kids

2.5k after rent is a decent amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭Browney7

PCros wrote: »
    Not from there myself but I do know people from Castleknock and Ashtown which is out that direction and yes they are happy out there.

This! You'd get somewhere near the maynooth Trainline and that would bring you to docklands train station or Connolly and not far from Phoenix park. Very accessible to the M50

You’ll be earning what the average couple in Ireland earn, probably more.

Unfortunately the average couple in Ireland can’t generally afford too many nice things.

Rent and bills will probably be half your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You’ll be earning what the average couple in Ireland earn, probably more.

Unfortunately the average couple in Ireland can’t generally afford too many nice things.

Rent and bills will probably be half your salary.
    I’m sure there will be bonuses that bring it up to 90.

Is there a relocation allowance ? School fees?

• Advertisement

Browney7 wrote: »
    This! You'd get somewhere near the maynooth Trainline and that would bring you to docklands train station or Connolly and not far from Phoenix park. Very accessible to the M50

Factor in frequency of accidents on M50. Even in good weather. Does you company mind if you turn up late for work?

Also, Irish Rail had a habit of cancelling trains from Maynooth when I used the service over 10 years ago. Don't know if this has been attenuated. Trains suffer from overcrowding

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've lived in Blanchardstown for 15 years now and I love it. So close to the airport but far enough away. The shopping centre has cinema, theatre, pretty much every shop you need. There are lovely restaurants scattered around the place. Great community groups, sports clubs etc.

Train is pretty packed and add 10 minutes to your scheduled arrival time to be careful but it works. In my current job I have parking so I can be at my desk in 20 minutes in summer and 30 when the schools are back.

As with anywhere, including the "desirable" Dublin 2/4/6 there are good areas and not so good areas. A little research is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Bear this in mind , transport in Dublin is appalling ! Clontarf on north side or sandy mount on south side would be decent choices. Quite a short cycle too. You’d save a lot if you can get away without owning a car , might not be practical for you though !

• Registered Users Posts: 14 taurus999

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m sure there will be bonuses that bring it up to 90.

Is there a relocation allowance ? School fees?

I’m not sure on the bonus component and even if they provide some it’s going to be negligible (going by what I get here in US, same company)

Accommodation for the first 15 days in new place is covered as part of relocation. Going by the demand for residential apartments I guess I will have to book something before I board my flight!

School fees - nothing of that sort mentioned as part of my salary conversation. I will double check on this.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Bear this in mind , transport in Dublin is appalling ! Clontarf on north side or sandy mount on south side would be decent choices. Quite a short cycle too. You’d save a lot if you can get away without owning a car , might not be practical for you though !

Thanks! Here in US life doesn’t move without a car. In Ireland i believe getting a car license is tough and insurance costs for new to country drivers is more than the value of car loan EMI. Correct me if I’m wrong here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

taurus999 wrote: »
    Thanks! Here in US life doesn’t move without a car. In Ireland i believe getting a car license is tough and insurance costs for new to country drivers is more than the value of car loan EMI. Correct me if I’m wrong here.

Depending on your age (they don't discriminate on gender grounds)- a family sized car with a 2 litre engine could easily cost 1,500/2,000 a year for insurance- a couple of hundred a year in roadtax- and gas costs roughly 6 times as much in Ireland as it does Stateside. The AA (automobile association) reckon an average family car costs 12k per annum to run (inclusive of fuel)- but obviously this will vary from person to person.

If you do not need a car on a constant basis there are a few different car sharing companies that are increasing their footprints in Ireland- such as 'Go-Car' which rents cars to you by the hour at 11/12 Euro an hour incl. of insurance, fuel etc etc.

The majority of cars in Ireland are still stick shifts- less than 15% are automatics.

If you have a license from the US- you can swap it for an Irish license under certain circumstances- though normally its actually easier to go back to basics and resit a driving test from the beginning- though this can be costly.

85k is a decent salary for a single person- its not a decent salary for a family. The suggestions of Ashtown/Castleknock are nice- but quite possibly out of your budget.

Accommodation is in quite incredible constraint in Dublin at the moment- one thing I would 100% definitely do- is try to negotiate a longer period of accommodation provided by your company. I am personally familiar with employees in Google and Intel- who moved here and left within 6 weeks- having failed to find accommodation for young families (both of whom were on salaries ballpark similar to yours and in the Intel case- both spouses of whom worked in Intel).

Accommodation- at all- is going to be an issue- if you really want to make a go of this- I'd seriously try to get a significantly longer company provided accommodation package- 15 days to find a family home in the context of renting in Dublin- is going to be hairy.

I'd strongly echo everyone who is plugging accommodation on decent public transport lines. The downside of this- is you'll pay for the privilege- its what everyone else is doing.........

D2/D4/D6 - the manager who suggested this is so far out of the realms of what you can expect that its hard to imagine he wasn't having a laugh.........

Your salary is decent- if your wife also gets a job. Its not a decent salary as the sole income coming into a house............

The very best of good luck with your move- I've two young children too- you have more courage than I have to consider moving with them..........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ps- check your spouse's rights and entitlements- a lot of spouse visas do not entitle a spouse to work in Ireland- check it out...........

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Great post @The_Conductor, but grim reading, OP seriously consider staying where you are unless your job will help with the accommodation side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

and gas costs roughly 6 times as much in Ireland as it does Stateside.
    m......

Please note that this statement is false.

Petrol in Ireland is of course, not 6 times dearer as the USA.

Let's do some sums.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/

The average price in the USA is USD 2.67 per US gallon, so that's USD 0.70534 per litre.

Convert to euro at 1 euro = USD1.10, and the euro equivalent is 64 cent per litre.

Petrol here is about 1.40 per litre?

So petrol here is 2.2 times dearer than the USA.

Just read the op again. You were offered 85k. I’d be pushing for more if possible (given the cost of Dublin) has anyone else you know been relocated to here ? one other big factor here. Even The working poor here are hit with a fifty percent marginal rate of tax! Anything over e35,000 if you are single is taxed at that rate. Which will blow the minds of anyone who isn’t actually from this banana republic!

There is an income tax calculator, just google Deloitte income tax calculator and you will see , what your after tax salary will be. Very important !

I wouldn’t touch an apartment here either, with a barge poll. Yes if required as very short term solution , but not otherwise !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Wow, some people are being way OTT negative in this thread - if his wife's tax credits are added to his, he will clear approximately €4.8k/month. Many MANY families in Dublin survive on less than that and are thriving. Rent will obviously be the biggest headache, no doubt about that.

But the family will have €2k+ each month after rent to pay for everything else. A car is not needed if you live near public transport. Forget about going all the way to Lush or Skerries, rent a house in nicer Portmarnock or Malahide and walk to the DART.

Obviously you need to be realistic, but also be aware that some people might be erring on the side of caution and any impression that a family will be on the breadline, hating life and living in a hovel, on a single salary of €83k/annum is just insanely incorrect.

id Be looking to rent within walking or cycle distance of the job and kids school . Saves a lot in time , stress and money!

Where in the states are you moving from op?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I would advise renting in an area on a train or dart line. Swords for example is very nice but you are talking an hour on a bus to get to work every morning. The negatives are being hugely exaggerated here. You will be fine on 83K and able to go on holiday.
    There is a lot of traffic in Dublin so being on a train line will make a big difference to your quality of life.

In general nicer areas are along the coast and more working class on the west side of the city rather then north and south side. However many of the areas on the northside are fine and quite middle class, and your rent will go a lot further then in more desirable areas. There are very bad areas on the southside as well, its a bit outdated to say that north is bad and south is good. That is mostly near the city centre as you move out it depends on the neighborhood really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Geuze wrote: »
    Please note that this statement is false.

Petrol in Ireland is of course, not 6 times dearer as the USA.

Let's do some sums.

https://gasprices.aaa.com/

The average price in the USA is USD 2.67 per US gallon, so that's USD 0.70534 per litre.

Convert to euro at 1 euro = USD1.10, and the euro equivalent is 64 cent per litre.

Petrol here is about 1.40 per litre?

So petrol here is 2.2 times dearer than the USA.

Insurance on a family car also shouldn't be anywhere near 1.5-2k. I have an Octavia estate and the insurance is under 400 per year, the road tax is 190 per year.

• Advertisement

Assuming the op would be starting with zero years ncb! Anyway , that while a joke here , would be bottom of the list of my concerns. Do you actually want to relocate op ?

The problem with Rush and other places out that far is that you can't go out for a few drinks in the city centre without having to pay through the nose to get home......and that's if they'll even take you.

Swords is €30 on a good night. Rush would be €50 plus, I'd imagine, but on a busy night they'd just say no as they'd get 3 x €20 journeys in the same timeframe and still be in town.

Just something to factor in, as I know someone who lives in St. Margarets (which is closer than Swords) and they've awful trouble at times.

Recommendations: Anything on the DART or anything on any of the bus lanes that go past Connolly station would be suitable, which is basically anywhere East of the M1 on the Northside. Plenty of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Car is least of your problems until you have someplace to park it. Accommodation will be difficult. Is there a relocation service helping you with this?
    Schools should be ok at their age, you may have room in older classes. The pressure for schools is at the younger end.

For petrol costs etc, yes, it's a rip off. I recommend electric cars to anyone buying a car for the last 5 years, as it removes the tax and petrol costs, and they are automatic. will work for a family if you have someplace to park it, and you don't travel across the country every day for work. budget 12k to buy a second-hand one, and get insurance quotes before buying. Your license should be valid here for a period.

I agree with the others, 85k for a family isn't a high income here... would be pretty low in the US too. Your wife may need to consider work at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Jesus Christ what planet are some of you living on?

85k is a pretty good salary for a family. Are you telling me that a couple earning 42.5 k each can't afford to live somewhere safe, eat out a bit and have a holiday? That's two Garda or nurses maybe?

This thread just shows how out of touch some people are with average working people. OP, you won't be living like a king but you certainly won't be on the breadline.

The negativity is some joke in here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭techdiver

tastyt wrote: »
    Jesus Christ what planet are some of you living on?

85k is a pretty good salary for a family. Are you telling me that a couple earning 42.5 k each can't afford to live somewhere safe, eat out a bit and have a holiday? That's two Garda or nurses maybe?

This thread just shows how out of touch some people are with average working people. OP, you won't be living like a king but you certainly won't be on the breadline.

The negativity is some joke in here

This is not equivalent. 2 people on 42.5k each will have a significantly higher take home pay than a single income family earning 85k. All thanks to Charlie McCreevy and his bull**** tax individualisation changes in 2000. It penalised single income families whereby you cannot now transfer all tax credits and cutoff allowance only the. Only the personal tax credit and a tiny portion of the standard rate cut off point is transferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

techdiver wrote: »
    This is not equivalent. 2 people on 42.5k each will have a significantly higher take home pay than a single income family earning 85k.

Exactly, household income for the two salaries would be about €9k more after tax than the single €85k salary.

Edit: I hadn’t added kids, the difference drops to about €6.6k. Must be homecarer credit as well.

Sarn wrote: »
    Exactly, household income for the two salaries would be about €9k more after tax than the single €85k salary.

It’s about 8k difference but while at the kids age they wouldn’t require full childcare they would most likely require an after school service and there are some costs associated with working (transport, lunches out, etc) so while their is a different it won’t be as big as it looks on first glance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The problem with Rush and other places out that far is that you can't go out for a few drinks in the city centre without having to pay through the nose to get home......and that's if they'll even take you.

Swords is €30 on a good night. Rush would be €50 plus, I'd imagine, but on a busy night they'd just say no as they'd get 3 x €20 journeys in the same timeframe and still be in town.

Just something to factor in, as I know someone who lives in St. Margarets (which is closer than Swords) and they've awful trouble at times.

Recommendations: Anything on the DART or anything on any of the bus lanes that go past Connolly station would be suitable, which is basically anywhere East of the M1 on the Northside. Plenty of choice.

Not a chance the fare to rush would be refused. It’s a better earned than 3 smaller fares. Dorset street to Ashbourne is €35 the last time I took that fare.

St. Margaret’s is north finglas (back of the airport), it’s an easy fare out the N2. Not a chance it would be refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

80K puts you in the top 5% of earners in the country

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/personal-finance/are-you-a-high-income-earner-if-you-are-on-80-000-a-year-1.3605299

Some posts here are remarkable...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Where in the states are you moving from op?

Dallas, Texas

Advertisement