Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best tv for gaming

Options
  • 19-09-2019 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice on getting a good quality TV for gaming. I have a ps4. Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

What size you looking at?

What resolution? Full HD,4K?

Whats the budget?

Alsos theres a dedicated thread in the playstation sub forum for TV's to go with playstation,might be a help to you.

I went with a 49" Sony XF90 last year and im pretty happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

EoinHef wrote: »

Whats the budget?

Alsos theres a dedicated thread in the playstation sub forum for TV's to go with playstation,might be a help to you.

Thanks for response. Minimum 32inch full hd if possible. Less than 300 euros to spend

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Whats the budget?

As I recently realised when shopping for a new TV, there is no point in going for HD these days unless your budget is super low.

There is a far larger selection of 4k TVs, and it's more cost effective.

awec wrote: »
    As I recently realised when shopping for a new TV, there is no point in going for HD these days unless your budget is super low.

Really? I don’t have a clue tbh.

It can be ye for sure

If the screen is being used just for gaming though id have zero issue recomending full HD monitor and a set of speakers. You can get really nice IPS panels at 1080p that wont break the bank and 2.1 speaker setup is fairly cheap these days.

• Advertisement

Horse84 wrote: »
    Thanks for response. Minimum 32inch full hd if possible. Less than 300 euros to spend

Is the TV going to be in use as the main sitting room TV or just for gaming?

Is the TV going to be in use as the main sitting room TV or just for gaming?

Not main tv. For the man cave really. Mainly for gaming and streaming Netflix and that

Horse84 wrote: »
    Not main tv. For the man cave really. Mainly for gaming and streaming Netflix and that

Id go with a 32" monitor and get a set of speakers to run the audio for it,need one with audio pass through but that shouldnt be hard to find. A nice IPS display looks great at that size and res.

Theres a plethora of them on amazon,if you would rather bricks and mortar the likes of PC World will have options aswell.

Will be quite a bit cheaper than going the TV route,should give your better image quality over all. May even have some change from that budget.

Id go with a 32" monitor and get a set of speakers to run the audio for it,need one with audio pass through but that shouldnt be hard to find. A nice IPS display looks great at that size and res.

Theres a plethora of them on amazon,if you would rather bricks and mortar the likes of PC World will have options aswell.

Will be quite a bit cheaper than going the TV route,should give your better image quality over all. May even have some change from that budget.

Thanks for the info much appreciated. I think I’ll stick with the tv as I’m trying to sell it to the missus as something the kids can use as well and as years go on we can move it to another room as another telly. U see my problem :)

32" Monitor,has speakers but id still advice getting a seperate set of speakers for better audio,it has audio pass through:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074DDH6CS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_i02GDbG5ZVB8G

As an example of speakers you could use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00413BI7Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_B22GDb5S7R1XG

Also heres a 32" Sony Bravia TV might just be within budget if you would rather a TV:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WD4S2Z8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8Y2GDb7AHFG4T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I know the selection may not be great now but most people will be better off with a good HD TV rather than a low end 4K. Cheap 4K screens have cheap/rubbish processors and thus the upscaling of HD and especially SD content (i.e. nearly all broadcast TV) to 4k can be quite terrible. I know that's not the OP's intended use for it but with a budget of €300 I'd go to pains to stick to a HD telly tbh.

OP, if it's the non-pro PS4 and there's no 4K Netflix subscription (even if there is, there's still not a whole lot on it) then you've even less reason to opt for a 4K screen.

The minimum level 4K screen I'd buy is the previously mentioned Sony XF90 but I'd expect they're still around €800-900 for a 49". Maybe as a spare room TV, you might get a decent 4K Hisense or TCL for about €500ish.

I've just looked at Richersounds and they have a 32" LG 1080p "HDR" model for €229 - I know 32" is probably seen as small these days but it's worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't forget the likes of PowerCity & Harvey Norman.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Don't forget the likes of PowerCity & Harvey Norman.

I'd actually pay extra to avoid the place. They don't have a clue and customer service i.e. consumer rights, has gone to the wall. Many a thread in Consumer Issues about them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

also DID.ie and Expert.ie

richersounds

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There's a PlayStation forum OP and there's a useful thread there with discussion on TVs: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057669372

Advertisement