Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sex for Rent - Raised in the Dail as issue of major concern

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think she is right to raise it in the Dail. It's not the first case I have heard along these lines. It's a real unprecedented side effect of the rental market being the worst it's ever been.

Expect more if these stories. The power that the nastiest landlords (of which there are very few, not generalising) hold over their tenants is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

osarusan wrote: »
    That's true but Coppinger would hardly be the first to misrepresent something for political gain.

It might be the case here, as struggling tenants being exploited for sex is something that does happen, but there needs to be more evidence in this case.

If a tenant is failing to pay the agreed rent the landlord is being exploited.

Doesn't give the creep a right to prey on the tenants vulnerability. It's predator behavior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

osarusan wrote: »
    We don't know that's true either. This guy might have tried the same line with every female tenant he has ever had (and male too, sure why not) in good rental markets and bad.

We do know it was used to raise awareness of the rental sector situation because it was used to raise awareness of the rental sector situation. That's how it's in the news in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,015 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

i dunno...i think its clear there has been a sustained effort over the last 40 years to make sex as inconsequential as possible.

I dunno much after reading your argument.

Ultimately, you can value sex as inconsequential as you want. It died t mean others have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

There's literally thousands of Irish women on a particular website that'll suck you off for cash/jewelery/holidays, they're on it by choice, they're literally whoring themselves out.

Where's the outrage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

There's literally thousands of Irish women on a particular website that'll suck you off for cash/jewelery/holidays, they're on it by choice, they're literally whoring themselves out.

Where's the outrage?

please share!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

mrmorgan wrote: »
    please share!!!

Do you want genital warts?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dunno much after reading your argument.

Ultimately, you can value sex as inconsequential as you want. It died t mean others have to.
    i dont think it is inconsequential but the campaign to denigrate its "specialness" has certainly been successful in a lot of ways. A case like this and the resulting pearl clutching may give people pause.

he wants to check if his missus is on it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Where's the outrage?

Its a case of who's propositioning.
    We've reached a point of such moral decay in our society that literally thousands of young women on this isle are listing themselves in a market place exchanging their bodies for money, and feminism has made that 'fine' and not to 'be judged for'
    However men proposing the transaction is shameful and awful for some reason....

• Advertisement

Where's the outrage?

Woman want to have sex for stuff. Why would there be outrage?

Its a case of who's propositioning.
    We've reached a point of such moral decay in our society that literally thousands of young women on this isle are listing themselves in a market place exchanging their bodies for money, and feminism has made that 'fine' and not to 'be judged for'
    However men proposing the transaction is shameful and awful for some reason....

No, it's a case of circumstance. Looking to have sex for gifts is hardly the same as being propositioned because you owe rent and the landlord is a scum bag. You don't see that?
    A similar one would be men telling women they'll have sex with them for gifts.

Any way, it was raised to show the state of the rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

No, it's a case of circumstance. Looking to have sex for gifts is hardly the same as being propositioned because you owe rent and the landlord is a scum bag. You don't see that?
    A similar one would be men telling women they'll have sex with them for gifts.

Any way, it was raised to show the state of the rental market.

dont know where youre getting owed rent from.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't like the headline "landlord demands sex". He didn't demand anything. He tried to make a seedy deal but there was no damand in his texts. Some woman or men might be happy with an arrangement like this. Seedy imo but there were no demands made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I am not at all surprised that this is happening. We can pretty much expect to see only more of this stuff. It has nothing to do with housing problem, it was always here and just got worse with social media boom which are rather antisocial. Sex is everywhere you look.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

what if i already have it??

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I think she is right to raise it in the Dail. It's not the first case I have heard along these lines. It's a real unprecedented side effect of the rental market being the worst it's ever been.

Expect more if these stories. The power that the nastiest landlords (of which there are very few, not generalising) hold over their tenants is shocking.

Really? The girl and a roommate were leaving on an agreed date. Landlord made a cheeky proposal to one. She dealt with it and hopefully reported him to the Gardai and other relevant authorities. If anyone was abused, it was the tenant by Coppinger. BTW, there’s no proof that the texts were real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

It's at worst an anecdote on how bad the rental market has become. That's her goal, to raise awareness.

More likely to get a few salacious headlines and keep her name out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Where's the outrage?

What does that have to do with landlords potentially trying to exploit people who can't afford their rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,015 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

i dont think it is inconsequential but the campaign to denigrate its "specialness" has certainly been successful in a lot of ways. A case like this and the resulting pearl clutching may give people pause.

OK. You'll need to at least outline an argument for what you're talking about. It just sounds like "the good old days, amirite?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

To all the men who think this is an ok transaction, would you feel the same way if it was your daughter ****ing the landlord to keep a roof over her head?

Thought not, at best it is grotesquely unprofessional, at worse manipulative and abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭patnor1011

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    What does that have to do with landlords potentially trying to exploit people who can't afford their rent?

Everything actually. WHen you see thousands of these offers no wonder quite a few of them may jump and take it and some may go ahead and actively pursue it. It is all around us. It was always here we just see more of it because people talk about it more often than in the past.

OK. You'll need to at least outline an argument for what you're talking about. It just sounds like "the good old days, amirite?"
    i'm not arguing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Feisar wrote: »
    This isn't a housing crisis issue, it's a dirty bastard issue.

Ruth Coppinger is an attention seeking clown.

She's much worse than that, she's a dangerous ideologue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

there's plenty women living with guys giving him sex and he's none the wiser that she sponging him .
    just because she smart .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

So does anyone think it’s weird that the screenshots she posted on Twitter were taken from the “landlords” phone? WhatsApp has your messages on the left in white.490990.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,571 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

stimpson wrote: »
    So does anyone think it’s weird that the screenshots she posted on Twitter were taken from the “landlords” phone? WhatsApp has your messages on the left in white
    My whatsapp has the messages the same way as the OP - in green from the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The ticks are they to show you when the other person has read the text. The “victim” here is the other person.

when i type my messages appear in a green bubble on the right, the other persons messages come from the left in a white bubble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

stimpson wrote: »
    So does anyone think it’s weird that the screenshots she posted on Twitter were taken from the “landlords” phone? WhatsApp has your messages on the left in white.490990.jpeg

No it doesn't. Your own whats app messages are in green, and on the right, just like in the screenshots

Advertisement