Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She doesn't like to talk about it. But thanks to wily fox Ray's interviewing skills, he winkled it out of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Bosco on the The Ray D'Arcy Show.

An RTE legend, being interviewed by Ray D'Arcy.

It's just like the old times, but on multiple times the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Bosco on the The Ray D'Arcy Show.

An RTE legend, being interviewed by Ray D'Arcy.

Who's hand is up who's hole though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Who's hand is up who's hole though ?

Ssssssssteady....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Will ray mention how unfairly he was treated at the Ploughing by the great unwashed ?

Going down the country messes with your head ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

This is like an extension of liveline.

Will ray mention how unfairly he was treated at the Ploughing by the great unwashed ?

https://youtu.be/1QNda63Gzi0

• Advertisement

Was wondering this too.
    Anyone know if he mentioned it?

The thing about Ray is that he seems like a genuinely conscientious man (cries of disbelief and shouts of 'you turnip!'), but I think he must be aware on some level, probabky moreso than institutionalised RTÉ 'stars' that his fees are grotesque.

People who harass public figures always seem determined to cast themselves in the worst light though. Why so shouty? Do they not appreciate that they'd win greater public support if they questioned him in a reasonable, calm manner and gave up on the histrionics? People are very amenable to polite firmness.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Was wondering this too.

The thing about Ray is that he seems like a genuinely conscientious man (cries of disbelief and shouts of 'you turnip!'), but I think he must be aware on some level, probabky moreso than institutionalised RTÉ 'stars' that his fees are grotesque.

People who harass public figures always seem determined to cast themselves in the worst light though. Why so shouty? Do they not appreciate that they'd win greater public support if they questioned him in a reasonable, calm manner and gave up on the histrionics? People are very amenable to polite firmness.

?

?

pre-empting a response to calling Ray D'Arcy conscientious.

Did you all hear that, Ray is taller than the average man!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭shearforce

Did you all hear that, Ray is taller than the average man!

the average Pygmy man

Was wondering this too.

Tyrant, I think you are a very fair and balanced person but ....Jaysus....

D’Arcy is a nice person who got ‘promoted’ far far beyond his level of competency.

D’Arcy is comfortable with hairdresser radio, who won the Lottho(sic) who won the meat raffle in the local pub, would jack Bercow be a hit on ‘celebrity’.

Crass stuff like that, rubbish subjects, Jack the lad discussions.

The boy has no idea about how to run a show which includes serious content and contentious issues.

Tyrant, I think you are a very fair and balanced person but ....Jaysus....

D’Arcy is a nice person who got ‘promoted’ far far beyond his level of competency.

D’Arcy is comfortable with hairdresser radio, who won the Lottho(sic) who won the meat raffle in the local pub, would jack Bercow be a hit on ‘celebrity’.

Crass stuff like that, rubbish subjects, Jack the lad discussions.

The boy has no idea about how to run a show which includes serious content and contentious issues.
    I dont disagree Brendan. I would never claim the man is a competent broadcaster.

I'm just making some inferences from things he's said on-air or in interviews. I believe he has a conscience, and we don't need to be certified psychologists to suspect that he is probably quite introspective and self-doubting. I think the reason he didn't get very defensive in that exchange is because he recognised some truth in the criticism.

Im not defending him. As crude as those protestors were, their message was fair. D'Arcy is a hypocrite, and he probably knows it.

I'd say you left the traps in some state this morning. Can't understand why anyone drinks that Karpackie shïte.

I dont disagree Brendan. I would never claim the man is a competent broadcaster.

I'm just making some inferences from things he's said on-air or in interviews. I believe he has a conscience, and we don't need to be certified psychologists to suspect that he is probably quite introspective and self-doubting. I think the reason he didn't get very defensive in that exchange is because he recognised some truth in the criticism.

Im not defending him. As crude as those protestors were, their message was fair. D'Arcy is a hypocrite, and he probably knows it.

I'd say you left the traps in some state this morning. Can't understand why anyone drinks that Karpackie shïte.

Lovely beer Tee, cool refreshing and 8 for €10. 5%ABV....

Seriously, appreciate you are not ‘defending’ the boy, but attributing some conscience to him for the wedge he is getting,is a step too far in my opinion.

D’Arcy is a square peg in a round hole,given the content of his show, he has displayed time after time that he is more happy with meat raffle results, reality television, lotto speculations, soap discussions and other incidental subjects.

No spoilage in the traps by the way, clean release, good manifold pressure, fire and forget, like the Sidewinder missile:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

"If you are running barefoot...all I am saying is be careful where you run"

Raymond D'arcy (RTÉ - 18/09/2019)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭washiskin

Quick question about yer wan doing the inquisition there.... doesn't she call Niall Boylan fairly regularly? Also a supporter of a certain "investigative reporter"??
    Not defending Darcy btw, just marvelling at how she gets around.

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    Quick question about yer wan doing the inquisition there.... doesn't she call Niall Boylan fairly regularly? Also a supporter of a certain "investigative reporter"??

Not just an ordinary punter so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

washiskin wrote: »

In fairness, unlike the rest of us "keyboard warriors" those guys had the guts to challenge that rat to his face, most of me included sit here on our laptops giving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,343 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm no fan of RD by any stretch of the imagination, but I also hate these g0bsh1tes who arrive to shout at people like this. The same folk who don't want to pay to have water treated and delivered, the same folk who think they are entitled to this and that.

I don't blame RD for taking the half mill, I'd do it myself if my employer offered it to me. Issue should be taken up with the people who keep handing over vast wages to those who work on RTe.

I bet you that woman isn't a great example of a taxpayer either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,733 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Can't see that as the way forward for radio critics.
    Going around shouting at people you don't like is always out of order in any walk of life.

They couldn't even hold the camera the right way up.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm no fan of RD by any stretch of the imagination, but I also hate these g0bsh1tes who arrive to shout at people like this. The same folk who don't want to pay to have water treated and delivered, the same folk who think they are entitled to this and that.

I don't blame RD for taking the half mill, I'd do it myself if my employer offered it to me. Issue should be taken up with the people who keep handing over vast wages to those who work on RTe.

As would o ( take the money I mean). I'm not condoning their behaviour, but Darcy never shut up about the salaries that the rte presenters were on when he was on today fm,he also said he would emigrate it spenda penny became taoiseach.
    1) he took the money
    2) hes still here.
    Hes a hypocrite and an absolutely diabolical presenter,probably worse than Duffy ( and that's a bold statement)

I'd agree with you for sure.
    He's a poor presenter, yes. But some people obviously think he's worth the wage or he wouldn't be getting it.

Yes, he didn't leave the country but I'm sure that was said in jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'd agree with you for sure.
    He's a poor presenter, yes. But some people obviously think he's worth the wage or he wouldn't be getting it.

Yes, he didn't leave the country but I'm sure that was said in jest.

The ones who think he is worth half a million a year are losing 21 million a year

That would be D4bes,Ray and jenny..

Are jenny and will still on the rte payroll ?

• Advertisement

I see your point but this is probabky the point at which our opinions diverge.

Yes she's crass, she's rude, and her tone seems self-defeating. But the crux of what she's saying is correct. D'Arcy hasn't just done what you or I would have done (taken the money), he's done that in a context where he has previously positively excoriated such behaviour.

I don't like how he was attacked, and he was attacked.

But there is some logic underpinning the criticism which is difficult to deny. To be embarrassed to be Irish is bad enough (as stupid as being proud to be Irish, in fact), but to take such a grotesque payment after all that bellyaching about RTÉ salaries? He is a hypocrite.

Advertisement