Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hambini vs Cervelo

Options
  • 16-09-2019 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

For those that don't know Hambini is the Sheldon Brown of bike bearings. Nerdy OCD engineer. Well he's gone on the assault against Cervelo.

Just like DC Rainmaker and GPLama I'd hold his opinion in pretty high regard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Watched it yesterday. He’s attacked Cervelo several times before in his other videos and with good reason. Their QA is non existent and the fact that they drastically increased the tolerance levels shows their contempt for quality.

I love how Cervelo bikes look and they were always the bike I hankered after. I was seconds away from buying an R3 earlier this year but plumped for an S-Works in the end and glad I did so.

Hambini is a straight talker, I have watched all his videos and find them so interesting.

I have a Hambini bottom bracket. He actually personally machined it for me himself after I emailed him to ask when they’d be back in stock and he said 2 to 3 weeks and asked how quickly I needed one. I told him I was hoping sooner rather than later. He messaged me on Sunday evening and said he’d get it done in the next day or two. He messaged me Monday evening and told me he’d finished it and it was in the post to me. I got it on Wednesday morning. Top class service and his BB are a work of art!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The "get a Look" comment is nice ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I saw that.
    What's his beef with cannondale? I have two :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

49 minutes??!! Ah cripes. Can someone distill it for me and tell me why my 7 year old still-riding-beautifully Cervelo R5 is a bag a' sh1te? :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in wonder how cervelo's lawyers will react to cervelo being called scumbags?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

fat bloke wrote: »
    49 minutes??!! Ah cripes. Can someone distill it for me and tell me why my 7 year old still-riding-beautifully Cervelo R5 is a bag a' sh1te? :)

Voids in the frame
    BB with parallel misalignment, angular misalignment, and ovalisation
    Affects all models of Cervelo
    Spec on BB's adjusted a number of years ago so these now pass QC - your older frame might still be OK
    Spec signed off by Damon Rinard, now of Cannondale, who suffer with massive QC issues on BB30/BB30a BB's
    "Independent" information from NTN and SKF who say they are unable to make bearings to the spec that Cervelo state, expect as little as 20% of bearing life, and bearing companies are refusing to warranty their bearings if used in Cervelo frames

His stuff is excellent, I doubt he gives a damn about lawyer letters. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Plastik wrote: »
    Voids in the frame
    Spec on BB's adjusted a number of years ago so these now pass QC - your older frame might still be OK
    Spec signed off by Damon Rinard, now of Cannondale, who suffer with massive QC issues on BB30/BB30a BB's
    "Independent" information from NTN and SKF who say they are unable to make bearings to the spec that Cervelo state, expect as little as 20% of bearing life, and bearing companies are refusing to warranty their bearings if used in Cervelo frames

His stuff is excellent, I doubt he gives a damn about lawyer letters. Thankfully.

Even so, the orange jumpsuit is unforgivable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Voids in the frame

Does your Cannondale give you a lot of grief?

fat bloke wrote: »
    Does your Cannondale give you a lot of grief?

Of my two, the CAAD10 runs BB30 and I converted it to BSA standard essentially, using a threaded aluminium sleeve that FSA make https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fsa-bb30-threaded-adapter-b3119-/rp-prod129935 - not a permanent solution, can be removed again if you wanted to run a 30mm crank but you'd need special tools and it's in there with Loctite retaining compound. Best thing I ever did. The SuperSix is BB30a/PF30 and I had endless trouble after a period of silence with creaking. It has been ok for a long, long time now though.

Cannondale just seem to be known for very poor QC. Hambini speculated that it's boring the BB from one side, flipping the frame, and boring from the other causing some of the issues and another being worn tooling on the lines. Some of the BB30 applications he has tested on "chinese" frames have been substantially better in their tolerances spec.

Flo wheels - I think they've sent him cease and desist letters already.
    Ceramicspeed - close to the same.
    Zipp - Might have one in drafting after the last video where he completely debunks their dimples claims.
    Cannondale - regularly slated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

in wonder how cervelo's lawyers will react to cervelo being called scumbags?

He is well used to lawyers and threats of legal action from his negative reviews of FLO aero wheels. I don't think he cares. To him facts are what it's all about and FLO seemed less inclined to provide them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I thought it was a great watch! Great to see and engineer trumping a marketeer........I imagine his lawyers are busy, but he doesnt seem to give a fcuk, especially as he seems able to stand over everything he claims - hard to argue with someone who can prove an issue down to 0.15mm tolerance.......

I wonder what he thinks of Colnago....... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I find his videos fantastic. It is so refreshing to have an engineer cut through the enormous amount of marketing bollocks in the cycling industry and expose their corner cutting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Really enjoyed that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

As someone said, he's backing up his slating with plenty of data and hard facts, im sure Cervelo really really don't want to go to court.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Never had such issues with my r3 sl. Interesting watch all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I haven't touched my Cannondale BB in the four or five years that I've owned it. Still perfect.

secman wrote: »
    As someone said, he's backing up his slating with plenty of data and hard facts, im sure Cervelo really really don't want to go to court.....

FLO wrote to his employers HR section asking they sack him for misuse of its resources. He posted the exchange between the lawyers and him. That was pretty LO of FLO. It's not their business where he conducts the tests. He claims their aero drag does not include the spokes. They refute the claim. He asked them to provide their data but they did not.

I’d imagine he doesn’t even have a lawyer solicitor as he would most likely be only too happy for Cervelo or Zipp or Flo or any other of the company to issue proceedings and go to court and prove their case against him. He has all the data to back up everything he says whereas if any of these companies genuinely wanted to challenge him in court they would have to provide their own data or agree to independent testing to disprove Hambinis data and they can’t do that as they’d be found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lumen wrote: »
    I haven't touched my Cannondale BB in the four or five years that I've owned it. Still perfect.

The point is not that ALL units are bad, its just bad ones still pass QC with them. eg: Look build 100 frames and Cervelo build 100 frames. Both have the same quality manufacturing line and 10 units each are lemons. Look trashes 10 frames. Cervelo trashes the worst 2 and sells the other 98. Thats what stretching the tolerances does. There'll still be some good frames in the mix.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I don't think it would be that straightforward for him in court. He'd surely have to replicate it. There is no statistical significance really in testing 1 frame and then saying they are all bad and pasting an entire company for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    FLO wrote to his employers HR section asking they sack him for misuse of its resources. He posted the exchange between the lawyers and him. That was pretty LO of FLO. It's not their business where he conducts the tests. He claims their aero drag does not include the spokes. They refute the claim. He asked them to provide their data but they did not.

Flo deny writing that letter

https://flocycling.com/blogs/blog/flos-side-of-the-hambini-accusations

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Weepsie wrote: »
    I don't think it would be that straightforward for him in court. He'd surely have to replicate it.
    yeah, it's not up to them to prove he's wrong, it's up to him to prove he's right. however, i suspect one thing holding the companies back would be the streisand effect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Even so, the orange jumpsuit is unforgivable.

This is what drew me to the vid - that and the princess bedsheet :pac:

Eamonnator wrote: »

They have denied a lot other things too. The funny thing is, who else would write that letter, and what would their motive be?

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    They have denied a lot other things too. The funny thing is, who else would write that letter, and what would their motive be?

I have to agree. Hambini has absolutely nothing to gain from any of this, it would be understandable if he represented some wheel manufacturer/company but he’s just a cyclist who happens to be an aerospace engineer and discovered serious flaws in the information being spouted by big companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I have to agree. Hambini has absolutely nothing to gain from any of this, it would be understandable if he represented some wheel manufacturer/company but he’s just a cyclist who happens to be an aerospace engineer and discovered serious flaws in the information being spouted by big companies.

Does he also not run a business making custom bottom brackets?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He does, and barings for various things. To say he has nothing to gain from this is not true. Not that, that is necessarily his intention, but he does have his own company to think of too.

Yes, ultimately has some skin in the game too. Regularly replies to threads on weightweenies and defends his positions.

If you're a regular viewer of his stuff though you'll see that he spends substantially more time speaking about aero, and debunking various aero claims, than he does plugging the BB's solutions that he makes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Yes, ultimately has some skin in the game too. Regularly replies to threads on weightweenies and defends his positions.

If you're a regular viewer of his stuff though you'll see that he spends substantially more time speaking about aero, and debunking various aero claims, than he does plugging the BB's solutions that he makes.

He does. But I think that any online presence, especially on YT, these days which is based on, even in part, in contending the position of others and creating any kind of hullabaloo which causes videos to go viral, even in a limited market should be treated with some cynicism.

It would be interesting to see if his YT vids are monetized too.

I don’t have any engineering knowledge and can’t stake a side in the game either way. I just feel that painting him as a dogooder standing up to big business or any similar selfless act is dishonest by omission.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

He does, and barings for various things. To say he has nothing to gain from this is not true. Not that, that is necessarily his intention, but he does have his own company to think of too.

Bearings or Bottom brackets are parts for wheels and frames. Maybe he will start designing and building his own wheels, thus opening him up to being biased or not impartial. Until then, any comment he makes on a wheels aero properties has to be viewed as impartial. Any manufacturer can send a wheel for him to test — if they want his form of testing. I look at him as a wheel type of DC Rainmaker. Would DCR be critiqued the same way for slating a devices reliability or accuracy (which he has on occasion) in his thorough hands on testing parameters? I doubt it.
    In terms of tech, manufacturers regard a test by DCR as a way of debugging and improving their products, and a hefty promo channel if the review is good.
    Hambini could be to aero wheels or frames what DCR is to tech, and that can only be a good thing for consumers.

Advertisement