Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's dedicate a thread to the positive things the traveling community bring to Irela

Options
  • 17-09-2019 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭

It's nearly Culture Night, so let's for once have a thread based on the positive and enriching aspects that the traveling community have had on our culture. Bigots will insist of focusing on the negatives, however there are so much positives which are always overlooked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

It's fierce quiet round here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

Name a few so...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Cheap refuse collection at very reasonable prices.

It's hard to see how they make a profit, when you consider the fee to enter large landfills with a loaded van or truck.

Maybe they are working at a loss for the good of the enviroment. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

There’s already a thread like this running, the only positive thing I’ve seen written is that travelers don’t live near certain posters

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

They always have really new tools for sale and don’t bother inconveniencing you with the original packaging or receipts or any of that kind of nonsense.

• Advertisement

They’re very considerate, often dropping in to check in on their elderly rural neighbours, sometimes when they haven’t even been asked to.

Many the leaky roof or faulty guttering has been replaced or repaired at the drop of a hat,especially for elderly people living alone.

An excellent service.

Run of the mill tradesmen would no doubt have to be called on the phone or something ludicrous like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Uncharted wrote: »
    Cheap refuse collection at very reasonable prices.

It's hard to see how they make a profit, when you consider the fee to enter large landfills with a loaded van or truck.

Maybe they are working at a loss for the good of the enviroment. Fair play to them.

If you think they bring them to the landfills then you are living in cloud cuckooland. Ever hear of flytipping...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Yer only man for tarmac. Always laid on a solid hardcore base with the best of materials. No cutting corners with these lads. Honest as the day is long.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    If you think they bring them to the landfills then you are living in cloud cuckooland. Ever hear of flytipping...

Whoosh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Whoosh

?

DellyBelly wrote: »
    ?

Wow.

These cows are small Dougal,but those cows over there are ........... being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

@op, seriously why don't you start off with a few positives rather than just blindly asking the question. Personally I can't think of any, and I'm genuinely curious as to what they could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They cleaned out my shed a few years back. Did a great job. Now I didn’t ask them to do it, and they took a few things they shouldn’t have, but they really are very helpful when it comes to stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Snatch? Great film...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

They’ve kept alive the ancient Irish tradition of bare knuckle boxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Imagine being a young, blameless, Traveller teenager and logging in to see all these constant anti-Traveller diatribes.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Imagine being a young, blameless, Traveller teenager and logging in to see all these constant anti-Traveller diatribes.

It’s ok, they can’t read

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

They eat spicy wedges and chicken rolls, three times a day, supporting local jobs, in filling station delis

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I didn't really need my tv anyway. I'm reading much more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

DellyBelly wrote:

Ever hear of sarcasm :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why are they allowed?
    If nothing else it's been done to death. I believe that's a thing around here?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

kneemos wrote: »
    Why are they allowed?
    If nothing else it's been done to death. I believe that's a thing around here?

Read the thread title. I'm trying to have a discussion about the positive aspects of the traveling community. Your comments aren't helping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

They always have really new tools for sale and don’t bother inconveniencing you with the original packaging or receipts or any of that kind of nonsense.

Welders with cavity blocks inside. A simple design.

Being honest where I live everything would be better if there wasnt a halting site in the area. Sad but true.

Can't think of any positives TBH. I have met some very nice and decent individual travellers and my kids have played with a few. It's those people I feel sorry for. The effects of the bad travellers far outweigh the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

14dMoney wrote: »
    Read the thread title. I'm trying to have a discussion about the positive aspects of the traveling community. Your comments aren't helping.

Here's somewhere to report racism.
    Dunno who they are though.

https://www.ireport.ie/report-racist-incidents/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

It’s ok, they can’t read
    You should be ****ing ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

On the phone they stole off someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭14dMoney

On the phone they stole off someone.

And you have multi nationals like Apple robbing you and your country blind day by day, yet you choose to focus on something as small as a traveller stealing your phone. Bigotry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement