Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diy wardrobe doors

Options
  • 15-09-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

well sort of

We would like to make some plywood doors for our bedroom.

I could send a cut list to a shop, and then fit them myself, but I would like to round the corners on them and rounded over edges.

The diy bit would be the finishing and fitting by me

Any clue who might be the right people to do this ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

RobAMerc wrote: »
    well sort of

I could send a cut list to a shop, and then fit them myself, but I would like to round the corners on them and rounded over edges.

Thanks

I've got a little job like that done in a woodworkers local to me, cant remember the name of it, was in the little industrial estate near kimmage cross roads... It was back when times were quiet though (they might have bigger fish to fry these days). Not sure where you are But they would be the type of places to ask.

If you are inclined, doing it yourself wouldn't be too big a step up from fitting them. I've done same (with MDF) in the past. Will cost you a router (i've the cheapest one from b&q) - about €50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

well sort of

Thanks

Mdf not plywood. I mean, that's what kitchen and wardrobe makers use.

Don't b&q cut to size? That and a cheap router as the man says.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

If you plan on routing them yourself then allow for the routing in the cut sizes. Also wear a mask, gloves and goggles.
    If you have not used a router before there are plenty of videos on line. Takes a bit of practice on pieces of scrap wood and lots of care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks folks, actually I've plenty of experience with a router - it wouldnt be an issue.

What I meant by rounded corners was this shape

Rounded%20Rectangle.jpg

I know woodworkers will cut all the doors to size, but they wouldnt do this bit ( I dont think )

We prefer ply, the rounded edges sanded and varnished will look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thanks folks, actually I've plenty of experience with a router - it wouldnt be an issue.

What I meant by rounded corners was this shape

Rounded%20Rectangle.jpg

I know woodworkers will cut all the doors to size, but they wouldnt do this bit ( I dont think )

Very old design tbh. That will age badly.

Not pick something a bit more contemporary ? If you know your way around a router then you could do that shape yourself .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

listermint wrote: »
    If you know your way around a router then you could do that shape yourself .

If I thought I could make a good fist of a template I probably could, but honestly there is 10 doors and I'm strapped enough for time as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

...if you use really good quality ply with no voids and avoid any chipping at the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

birch ply is the only ply that should considered to use for wardrobe doors but it costs 50euro per sheet, making wardrobe doors you should use mrmdf, use a round over bit on the edges and then paint. memdf 18mm are about 30euro per sheet and should be ble to get two doors per sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

birch ply is the only ply that should considered to use for wardrobe doors but it costs 50euro per sheet, making wardrobe doors you should use mrmdf, use a round over bit on the edges and then paint. memdf 18mm are about 30euro per sheet and should be ble to get two doors per sheet.

Personally I'd keep the weight down. Built two integrated wardrobes last year. 12mm for the doors with 12mm rails side side top top for strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Use Birtch ply, you can just round the edges with sand paper. Then apply bees wax. I saw some counter tops done like this recently and they looked great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement