Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Best of luck tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I was thinking you were about 25 from your Strava photos! :eek::eek:

You're going to do brilliant tomorrow - so excited to see how you get on!

Haha i wish, that cheered me right up ;)

Thanks a mill, hoping it goes well :eek:

eabha19 wrote: »
    Exactly what I was going to say. Delighted the little man is home and best of luck tomorrow.

Filters are great these days haha

Thanks a mill :)

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow!!

Thanks a mill, feeling nervous but excited:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

"Enjoy" :D

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    "Enjoy" :D

Cheers :)

Medics half marathon - My very 1st one :)

Got up early & pottered around for a bit. Then i made my porride & put a zero tab in water & sipped over this. Felt pretty good & positive. So i put the address into my Google maps & thought ah this looks grand, leaving in plenty of time :)
    Well how wrong i was! Please let me add that i have the worst sense of direction EVER. So back to my journey singing along to Elton John till my hears content...following the voice of the lady on my Google maps but she went very quiet & i followed what i thought was the route on the map but nope because of roadworks i completely went onto the wrong road!!! No way of turning back, panic set in, i started shouting at the lady on Google maps, imagine :eek:
    I quickly composed myself & made my way back to the correct road. Thankfully i got to the town with time but my god it was hard to find the GAA club! I parked up & followed the few people walking towards the race. I heard 2 people behind me say sure we'll just follow this girl, the girl being me haha, i said oh god you don't want to follow me i haven't a clue where I'm going:pac: Long story short i got my number & did a warm up :)

With a few mins to go the girl made an announcement about the race, expecting just the usual run of the mill announcement, NOPE, basically she said under no circumstances to wear headphones, you are in the country roads now..they WILL kill you :eek: So no headphones it was! This would be the very 1st time i ever ran with no headphones!!

We walked around to the start & as there were only 180 people racing there was lots of room but i started out near the front!

Miles 1 - 6
    I had heard it was to get easier after mile 6 so i decided to control these miles as much as possible. In my head i was going for maybe 8.10 - 8.20 miles but in fact most were faster but it felt so comfortable. The 1.45 pacers were a good bit ahead of me but i had decided to run my own race. For most of these miles i ran in a group of 3 but i felt like moving off so i did towards mile 6. At this stage 2 blokes ran by me chatting & they were saying what a drag it was & in my head i was like oh i know what that means, I'm a real runner ;)

Miles 7 - 12
    I still felt really strong & was actually enjoying the scenery & all the sounds without my headphones!! The one thing i did not enjoy was the smell of manure, oh good god it was strong :eek: Give me the smell of Dublin anytime haha defo a Dub true & true, except for that one time recently being told i'm actually not a true Dub because I'm a southsider...that person shall remain nameless :D
    There were a lot of bridges & one VERY steep one which was torture going over but fun coming down it! I caught up with the 1.45 pacers & stayed with them for 1 mile but think maybe i should have pushed away sooner!!

Mile 12 to finish

Feck it now was my time so i pushed on, looking at it now i defo think i could have pushed harder. When i knew i was coming up to the finish i actually thought the finish was further away because it was around the corner but it wasn't so i was raging i didn't sprint earlier!! I was absolutely thrilled when i seen the clock, in my head before the run i had the mindset that i had absolutely nothing to prove but lots to gain ;) I knew i would be thrilled with 1.50 or less but to see 1.43 i was over the moon crossing the line!

Really thrilled with my 1st ever half as i felt strong & controlled the whole way around!!

Thankfully all roads lead to Dublin so i managed to find my way home without getting lost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Put that Sia tune back on! (you know which one ;). Brilliant racing and time.

(was it not the 1:45 pacers you were catching though?)

Put that Sia tune back on! (you know which one ;). Brilliant racing and time.

(was it not the 1:45 pacers you were catching though?)

Ahem cough cough don't know what you mean ;)

Yes i needed Sia & stamina to push earlier...so i do need my music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great report. Brilliantly run race. You must be still buzzing after that and deservedly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭eabha19

Great stuff Laineyfrecks. A brilliant race. I love that Sia song too - she drives me on when I'm running out of breath! Are you going to use headphones for the marathon? I haven't decided yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great stuff Laineyfrecks. A brilliant race. I love that Sia song too - she drives me on when I'm running out of breath! Are you going to use headphones for the marathon? I haven't decided yet.

Personally I think you miss out on some of the atmosphere wearing earphones. You have support the majority of the way round Dublin and it’s fun hearing it and also sometimes having chats with other runners.

Thanks so much :)

Yeah i was really surprised that i didn't miss the music as much as i thought i would! I think i will bring them but won't use them the whole way around:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Well done! Brilliant race report but even better time for your first ever HM.
    I hope you are as proud as punch of yourself and appreciate what an accomplishment that is first time up and take great encouragement and confidence from it for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Personally I think you miss out on some of the atmosphere wearing earphones. You have support the majority of the way round Dublin and it’s fun hearing it and also sometimes having chats with other runners.

Of course it is also against the rules to wear headphones ;-)

Well done! Brilliant race report but even better time for your first ever HM.
    I hope you are as proud as punch of yourself and appreciate what an accomplishment that is first time up and take great encouragement and confidence from it for DCM.

Thank you so much, i really went in with no huge expectations except to try have a bit of discipline for the 1st half of the race at least. I never felt i couldn't do it, a little maybe in mile 12 but knew i didn't have far to go & snapped myself out of it :) I still woke up this morning thinking wow i did that - very proud :D

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Of course it is also against the rules to wear headphones ;-)

Hmmm sometimes rules are made to be broken;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Congratulations on a great run in your first Half. From what I've read of your log and from the report yesterday, it definitely seems you're capable of going quite a bit faster. Could you join a club or just find a couple of people in your area to train with? One or two runners who are a little bit faster than you could bring you on a lot. For DCM, I would say, just continue what you're doing. Not much to be gained by being too aggressive on the first marathon (First hand experience here!)

Looking forward to seeing your progression. Next year you should be taking minutes off that Half time.

Itziger wrote: »
    Congratulations on a great run in your first Half. From what I've read of your log and from the report yesterday, it definitely seems you're capable of going quite a bit faster. Could you join a club or just find a couple of people in your area to train with? One or two runners who are a little bit faster than you could bring you on a lot. For DCM, I would say, just continue what you're doing. Not much to be gained by being too aggressive on the first marathon (First hand experience here!)

Looking forward to seeing your progression. Next year you should be taking minutes off that Half time.

Thanks a mill, i'm really chuffed with it :) It has been said to me a few times about joining a club but i've heard pros & cons so not too sure! I would definitely like to improve as i feel i have it in me! My main aim for now is DCM so will leave all the decisions till after i cross that finish line :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Brilliant run - congrats on on smashing the half! Onwards and upwards, no looking back now that you're a real runner now!

• Advertisement

fatboyfin wrote: »
    Brilliant run - congrats on on smashing the half! Onwards and upwards, no looking back now that you're a real runner now!

Thanks a mill! Yep apparently a real runner :eek:

Sun sep 15th - 3m recovery
    Mile 1 - 10.26
    Mile 2 - 10.55
    Mile 3 - 11.01

Nice easy run - still buzzing after my half marathon:)

DCM wk 13
    Tues 17th - Easy miles
    Mile 1 - 10.20
    Mile 2 - 11.03
    Mile 3 - 9.51
    Mile 4 - 10.29

Took it nice & handy

Weds 18th - easy miles with some pmp
    Mile 1 - 10.28
    Mile 2 - 10.22
    Mile 3 - 8.10
    Mile 4 - 9.12
    Mile 5 - 9.03
    Mile 6 - 9.10
    Mile 7 - 11.01

All felt fine, would just like to be more consistent with my paces!

Thurs 19th - easy miles
    Mile 1 - 10.06
    Mile 2 - 10.35
    Mile 3 - 10.22
    Mile 4 - 9.58
    Mile 5 - 10.12

Headed out early for this run & suprised i kept the paces slow as i was heading to Las Vegas later that day :D

Fri 20th - Vegas baby! 14m lsr
    Mile 1 - 11.18
    Mile 2 - 3.10??????
    Mile 3 - 7.03????
    Mile 4 - 11.20
    Mile 5 - 10.46
    Mile 6 - 11.23
    Mile 7 - 10.51
    Mile 8 - 11.52
    Mile 9 - 11.32
    Mile 10 - 11.01
    Mile 11 - 11.00
    Mile 12 - 13.06
    Mile 13 - 11.06
    Mile 14 - 6.18

This was a tough run. My watch glitched a few times so was really annoying me! Decided to run down the strip but there were an awful lot of steps & bridges so that slowed me down plus it was extremely warm! On my way back i just found a few carpaks & did laps of them to build miles!
    Paces seemed all over the place but overall i was happy to have gotten it done especially as everyone else was heading to the pool but i soon caught up with them & enjoyed a well earned cocktail:D

Sun 22nd - 3m recovery
    Did this on the treadmill & it was soooo boring!!

DCM wk 14
    Tues 24th - easy & pmp miles
    Mile 1 - 10.28
    Mile 2 - 9.07
    Mile 3 - 9.23
    Mile 4 - 9.04
    Mile 5 - 8.58
    Mile 6 - 8.39
    Mile 7 - 6.10
    Mile 8 - 9.15
    Mile 9 - 10.41

Couldn't face all the steps again so i ran the opposite way & found the MGM convention centre so i ran around the car park about 20 times! The security men were giving me funny looks & eventually asked me why i was doing so many laps haha
    Again the paces seemed so erratic so again i will blame the watch!!!
    The heat was unbelievable but i tried to get to the shade as much as possible - defo have enough freckles ;)

Thurs 27th - 3m recovery
    Mile 1 - 10.25
    Mile 2 - 10.30
    Mile 3 - 10.29

Took it easy as i was feeling a bit jetlaged

Fri 27th - Easy miles
    Mile 1 - 10.05
    Mile 2 - 10.06
    Mile 3 - 10.09
    Mile 4 - 10.19
    Mile 5 - 9.11

Nice & consistent, didn't get the full 5th mile done.

Sat 28th Sept - 5m easy - 90mins progression run - 5m easy cooldown

Mile 1- 9.55
    Mile 2 -10.00
    Mile 3 - 10.03
    Mile 4 - 9.53
    Mile 5 - 9.58
    Mile 6 - 9.25
    Mile 7 - 9.28
    Mile 8 - 9.27
    Mile 9 - 1.38(.17m)
    Mile 10 - 8.59
    Mile 11 - 8.53
    Mile 12 - 8.57
    Mile 13 - 3.10(.35m)
    Mile 14 - 8.04
    Mile 15 - 8.00
    Mile 16 - 8.10
    Mile 17 - 5.45(.67m)
    Mile 18 - 10.07
    Mile 19 - 9.53
    Mile 20 - 9.52
    Mile 21 - 10.07
    Mile 22 - 10.13

Slept in this morning so started my run later than usual but i had nothing on today so didn't mind! Had my usual porridge & banana. Put my zero tab in my water & took a gel & a protein bar chopped up for a change.
    Took a couple of miles to settle into it but my new watch was a godsend! I was able to put it in as a workout & it literally did all the work for me! I really don't know how i did it with my other watch :eek:
    I had 30 mins at 3 different paces & really enjoyed it! Found the last 2 mins of the fastest pace tough but nothing that made me want to give up...i just kept imagining coming to the end of the marathon & not wanting to give up :)
    It felt great to head into an easy pace them for the last 5 miles!

Overall i feel i have gotten as much into my training as i could especially being away (as i was worried about this) Can't believe the weeks have gone by so quickly & my very 1st DCM is imminent:eek:

Edit: When i say i enjoyed my long run its more that i enjoyed the challenge of changing up the paces each 30mins - it was by no means an easy run but nothing too hard either! I defo like challenging my ability but only with the proper advice :)

A great week's running especially considering you were running in the heat of Las Vegas for some of those runs. I'm very glad my holiday in the sun was at the very early stages of training and even then the longest I managed in the heat was 10k. Am definitely happy with our weather when it comes to running!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I agree with eabha, you are flying it and are going to run a brilliant marathon! Your long run this weekend sounds like it was comfortable enough for you - this was NOT the experience for me and I think this is what separates the total novice (me) from the "I can't believe she's a novice" (you) That's not to run myself down, I am so happy with myself, but you are doing so brilliant and you have a genuine talent for running - it's crazy to think that you didn't get into it earlier, but you have that in common with some of our best female runners :) Well done! We are on the home run now!!

A great week's running especially considering you were running in the heat of Las Vegas for some of those runs. I'm very glad my holiday in the sun was at the very early stages of training and even then the longest I managed in the heat was 10k. Am definitely happy with our weather when it comes to running!

Thanks a mill & yes i totally agree i would take the irish weather any day for running :)

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I agree with eabha, you are flying it and are going to run a brilliant marathon! Your long run this weekend sounds like it was comfortable enough for you - this was NOT the experience for me and I think this is what separates the total novice (me) from the "I can't believe she's a novice" (you) That's not to run myself down, I am so happy with myself, but you are doing so brilliant and you have a genuine talent for running - it's crazy to think that you didn't get into it earlier, but you have that in common with some of our best female runners :) Well done! We are on the home run now!!

Wow i don't know what to say :eek:
    Thank you so much, all i know is that i am loving the structure of having a plan & as i said at the start i am fully committed. Looking at everyone's progress is amazing & with everything we all have our own abilities & sometimes it comes naturally & other times we have to work harder! So for me to run yesterday comfortably is good but for you to run it not so easily & not give up is brilliant, shows your character & determination which is something we have in common & i truly think it will stand to us both on the day! Keep doing what you're doing i think you will smash it ;)
    As for the marathon well its unknown territory & as the mentors & previous runners have said all the best training does NOT guarantee anything but i will defo give it a damn good go :D

Sun 29th Sept - 3M recovery

Mile 1 - 10.14
    Mile 2 - 10.23
    Mile 3 - 10.19

Was late enough getting out for this but paced it well to do it as easy as possible. Legs felt a little tired but nothing major - job done :)

DCM wk 15 - Mon 30th - 5M easy

Mile 1 - 10.14
    Mile 2 - 10.12
    Mile 3 - 10.19
    Mile 4 - 10.29
    Mile 5 - 10.16

Not gonna lie here, looking out the window in work at the weather was not exactly enticing me to do this run followed by a few workmates hilariously saying "enjoy your run" i won't type what my response was ;)
    Planned to head straight out but that didn't happen, one mini drama after another :eek:
    Eventually i got out shorts & reflective rain jacket in tow. Felt weird as i'm still in short sleeves but knew i needed it!!
    1st 3 miles were good settled into an easy pace, didn't mind the wind or rain & bopped along to a bit of Whitney - i wanna dance with somebody!
    Turned to head back & good god i got a face full of heavy rain & wind :eek: Determined not to let this stop me i continued on & must have been a sight to anyone driving towards me(it was pitch dark at this stage! ) i looked like a drowned rat lip syncing to a-ha take on me...what a sight :D

Overall it was a different run than usual but got it done & wasn't phased by the rain, wind & dark too much - looks like the rest of the weeks training will be pretty much the same conditions:eek:

Such a crappy day for it yesterday - well done. Have you got a marathon playlist worked out yet or are you gonna leave the earphones behind. I'm bringing them in case I need them and always on the look at for a song that will give a boost along the way! My favs are Eminem 8 mile, ACDC Thunder, Sia The Greatest and From Now on from the Greatest Showman. Half of my other songs I don't even notice them in the background and then one of those comes on and I'm pumped up!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Such a crappy day for it yesterday - well done. Have you got a marathon playlist worked out yet or are you gonna leave the earphones behind. I'm bringing them in case I need them and always on the look at for a song that will give a boost along the way! My favs are Eminem 8 mile, ACDC Thunder, Sia The Greatest and From Now on from the Greatest Showman. Half of my other songs I don't even notice them in the background and then one of those comes on and I'm pumped up!

Hmmm...the 2019 Novices seem to be intent on breaking the NO HEADPHONES rule imposed by the DCM organisers! :eek:

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Hmmm...the 2019 Novices seem to be intent on breaking the NO HEADPHONES rule imposed by the DCM organisers! :eek:

A bunch of rebels!

Advertisement