Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Irish Government discussion thread [See Post 1805]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,424 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sure, why not :rolleyes:
    Well, because that would be breaking the law.

He should not have been trying to bully her at all. If he had a personal chip on his shoulder he should have pursued it that way not using the office for weight. Her remarks were in the public domain, he didn't need use any confidentiality, no more than he needed to use official channels.

There was no bullying and no 'personal chip'. She didn't say he had BO and bad teeth. She had a go at him about how he was doing his job, so he replied with a factual response and an offer of mediation.

Her remarks may have been in the public domain but her address wasn't. So how is his solicitor supposed to deliver a letter without the CMO breaching confidentiality?
    And again, an FYI to Simon might have been warranted. The department is poorly run IMO and Harris not often in the loop.
    It's great with hindsight to say he should have kept the Minister involved. Have you any idea how many contacts staff in the Dept are getting each week? If he has to keep the Minister in the loop on every such contact, the Minister isn't going to be doing much Ministering.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Seems like we will have another windfall on corporate taxation - more likely we hope to buttress us against the ill-winds of Brexit than being used for the usual giveaways.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/exchequer-boost-for-government-ahead-of-budget-2020-1.4006610

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

is_that_so wrote: »
    Seems like we will have another windfall on corporate taxation - more likely we hope to buttress us against the ill-winds of Brexit than being used for the usual giveaways.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/exchequer-boost-for-government-ahead-of-budget-2020-1.4006610

I'd imagine there'll be a few high profile giveaways for the great unwashed but nothing of substance. It's clear FG think everything is going well and will stay the course. I expect things will implode and we'll get another round of FF before long.

I'd imagine there'll be a few high profile giveaways for the great unwashed but nothing of substance. It's clear FG think everything is going well and will stay the course. I expect things will implode and we'll get another round of FF before long.
    Pensioners seem to be the only ones. Tax cuts really should be out this year but I reckon capital spending and post-Brexit support will take up a good chunk of the fiscal space.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Pensioners seem to be the only ones. Tax cuts really should be out this year but I reckon capital spending and post-Brexit support will take up a good chunk of the fiscal space.

A higher carbon tax was meant to have been introduced but is looking like it will be left out for another year?

• Advertisement

nf2k wrote: »
    A higher carbon tax was meant to have been introduced but is looking like it will be left out for another year?
    Not sure about that but it is a tax. Usually the Budget is leaking everywhere by now. I reckon Paschal is watching all of this bedlam for as long as he can before picking out a budget!

It'll be interesting to see what sweet deals get snook out while Bexit takes the lion's share of the headlines.

Thought I would drop this one in here. Some of the suggested fallout from Brexit and it seems very grim. Up to 10,000 job losses in 3 months. Definitely no scope for any Budget giveaways with that.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/ministers-taken-aback-by-predicted-scale-of-no-deal-brexit-damage-1.4008114

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Could they defer the circus budget until the circus brexit is sorted ? All this talk of a budget , that makes as good as no difference to anyone financially...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Could they defer the circus budget until the circus brexit is sorted ? All this talk of a budget , that makes as good as no difference to anyone financially...
    Has to be done as financial year is from January-December and also to fit in with EU budget dates.

• Advertisement

Has to be done as financial year is from January-December and also to fit in with EU budget dates.

I’m aware our budget is vetted by Europe. This budget will make no difference in a positive way , but if **** hits the fan , could make things a lot worse !

I’m aware our budget is vetted by Europe. This budget will make no difference in a positive way , but if **** hits the fan , could make things a lot worse !
    Yeah, I think all bets may be off on any type of pre-election Budget. Prudent is the only route IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Things are always going to get worse if the **** hits the fan.

But we need a budget to allocate spending. The current allocations run out at the end of the current accounting year. We can't just not decide where collected taxes will be spent. We can be cautious and conservative about it (and should be), but we can't hold off on it altogether.

They need to tackle the insane idiotic anti enterprise marginal tax rate, not throw hundreds of millions more into an already obscene welfare state. Pay down debt and spend on infrastructure.

They need to tackle the insane idiotic anti enterprise marginal tax rate, not throw hundreds of millions more into an already obscene welfare state. Pay down debt and spend on infrastructure.
    The last one of these is probably going to happen. The tax rate change is probably off the table in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

throw hundreds of millions more into an already obscene welfare state.

Well that's what they're going to do, like any government would, if they can afford it at all, because that's what the public want...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I hate this thing of giving pensioners, regardless of means, across the board increases every year. It's simply vote-buying.

Meanwhile working families struggle but they throw them a few euro a week at best.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

I hate this thing of giving pensioners, regardless of means, across the board increases every year. It's simply vote-buying.

Same as. It's so they can say they are looking after the "most vulnerable" or whatever the sound bite is. Plus hope they capture the grey vote.

To make matters worse, with the pension time bomb approaching (ageing population, lower numbers in the workforce), the last thing we should be doing is increasing it across the board without reference to inflation.

So we seem to have a preferred date for next GE - May 2020. In the context of Brexit it seems like a sensible suggestion.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/0912/1075493-election/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

[May election]In the context of Brexit it seems like a sensible suggestion.

Hmm, UK election in November/December, new UK Government January after coalition/confidence and supply talks, request a 1 year extension to make room for a 2nd referendum, yes, May looks like a fairly quiet time for an Irish election.

• Advertisement

Will be lots of distraction. Likely a FF win with a reversal of the current deal. Don't expect anything to change unless Brexit causes it or their economy crashes, possibly Brexit related.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Likely a FF win

St. Jude apostle of hope!

St. Jude apostle of hope!

It's a lose lose, either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will be lots of distraction. Likely a FF win with a reversal of the current deal.

I wonder would some in FG quietly prefer this outcome. Of course they want to be back leading the government, but if they came back narrowly ahead of FF again, it's possible that FF grassroots would rebel at the prospect of propping up another FG minority government and push for a deal with SF. Whereas with FF finishing narrowly ahead of FG, you're pretty much guaranteed a reversal of the current arrangement. And FG membership would see it as the 'gentlemanly' thing to return the favour...

I wonder would some in FG quietly prefer this outcome. Of course they want to be back leading the government, but if they came back narrowly ahead of FF again, it's possible that FF grassroots would rebel at the prospect of propping up another FG minority government and push for a deal with SF. Whereas with FF finishing narrowly ahead of FG, you're pretty much guaranteed a reversal of the current arrangement. And FG membership would see it as the 'gentlemanly' thing to return the favour...

You might be right. I don't think there's any political passion on policy and ethics. It's about getting in and getting your way. So losing just means sitting it out until next time. There'll be no bright new era from either. More of the same. FF might build some social housing.

I can solve the housing crisis. Well I know a man who can.
    I've been told numerous times that the state/LA's paying for builds to use as social, (to be rented out based on income) or affordable housing (to be sold at profit) wouldn't work because it is so expensive to build there's no money in it.
    Well this man here is due to be making profit off public land. We should hire him to government post haste.
    Developer to earn €67m profit from public land site

Developer Bartra Capital is set to make around €67m in profit after it takes over the publicly owned site at O'Devaney Gardens, develops it and sells the property.

Bartra, which is also behind the controversial co-living development in Dún Laoghaire, has been chosen as the preferred bidder to redevelop the site in north Dublin.

Dublin City Council, whose deputy chief executive Brendan Kenny has insisted the site is not being "given away" to the private developer, has refused to say how much it stands to make from the deal.

The company has also declined to specify how much it has estimated it will make.

A Bartra spokesman said: "The procurement process is not yet complete. There are many hurdles still to be completed. As the preferred bidder our plan was deemed to most economically advantageous by the city council."

However, it is understood the developer stands to make tens of millions on the back of the public asset.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/developer-to-earn-67m-profit-from-public-land-site-38496638.html

Not to mention gaining 'preferred bidder' status despite a shady record ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,225 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Not to mention gaining 'preferred bidder' status despite a shady record ;)

You should complain to the OGP if you think there was something wrong with the procurement process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

What are we going to spend the 13 billion (+interest) on lads?

that bridge to the UK might be handy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

blanch152 wrote: »
    You should complain to the OGP if you think there was something wrong with the procurement process.

Wasnt the deal signed off under the previous DCC, which had SF as the largest party in the council?

This may warrant a debate, but it has nothing to do with the government and everything to do with DCC.

• Advertisement

markodaly wrote: »
    Wasnt the deal signed off under the previous DCC, which had SF as the largest party in the council?

This may warrant a debate, but it has nothing to do with the government and everything to do with DCC.

Funnily enough it cites DCC a number of times. A comment on local government with a nod to national issue. Nothing to try shut down, mostly on DCC alright Marko. Got a dig in at SF though, kudos.

Advertisement