Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tinted windows and insurance company

Options
  • 16-09-2019 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I got my rear 3 windows tinted with full limo tint not sure of the vlt but I contacted my insurance company (axa) to inquire about alloys and a subwoofer and I mentioned the tint and they said it has to be 65 percent vlt or higher and I told them that was just for the front windows not the rear and they said for their policy it is 65 percent. Does anyone have experience with this kind of bs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I got my rear 3 windows tinted with full limo tint not sure of the vlt but I contacted my insurance company (axa) to inquire about alloys and a subwoofer and I mentioned the tint and they said it has to be 65 percent vlt or higher and I told them that was just for the front windows not the rear and they said for their policy it is 65 percent. Does anyone have experience with this kind of bs.

edit: Misread your op.
    Ask them for it in writing, probably just someone on their helpdesk who doesn't know any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Like all insurance companies, they call the shots in what They are happy with irrespective of the law.
    For example, there is no law against driving a road worthy car over 15 years old, but some insurers won't provide cover.
    Maybe phone again or check the policy book or their website for clarification in case who you were speaking with wasn't quite correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,921 ✭✭✭kirving

Best to go by their rules to the letter. Do you really want to be arguing the small print with them after a crash when they have a recorded phone call of you asking about it, but no declaration that the car is tinted?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Tinted windows. That's a paddlin
    Leaving valuables on show. That's a paddlin
    Making your windows more resistant to breakage. That's a paddlin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If you think logically about it the darker the tint the closer you are to driving a van, and we all know van drivers don't see anything to the sides.

• Advertisement

HailSatan wrote: »
    Leaving valuables on show. That's a paddlin
    Making your windows more resistant to breakage. That's a paddlin

Insurance companies don't care about valuables on show. They care about you not being able to see your surroundings properly.

Insurance companies don't care about valuables on show. They care about you not being able to see your surroundings properly.

Whats their problem with non standard audio

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If they told you 65% vlt or higher then they have experience.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Whats their problem with non standard audio

Same as fancier alloys etc. - increased chance of theft.

Insurance companies don't care about valuables on show. They care about you not being able to see your surroundings properly

• Advertisement

They have teams of actuaries who I'm sure will tell them that the type of person to put in an aftermarket radio, is more likely to crash.

They have teams of actuaries who I'm sure will tell them that the type of person to put in an aftermarket radio, is more likely to crash.

People whose factory radio broke or it didn't have bluetooth or mp3 are more likely to crash?

Couldn't we make the world a safer place by improving the quality of standard head units? Insurance companies really are killing people by not feeding this info back to authorities and manufacturers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Two accounts? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

antodeco wrote: »
    Two accounts? :pac:

HS quoted Kevin Irving....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

People whose factory radio broke or it didn't have bluetooth or mp3 are more likely to crash?

Couldn't we make the world a safer place by improving the quality of standard head units? Insurance companies really are killing people by not feeding this info back to authorities and manufacturers.

Statistics don't lie

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

His ninja edit fixed it :D:D

I can't even make sense of what's going on and I wrote it :D

But the point stands. Nowadays a new radio could be an Android head unit with Youtube built in. Years ago even, the main dealer replaced a Tape radio in mothers car with the cheapest Sony CD player they could get their hands on.

The buttons were so tiny and all looked the same that it was definitely more of a hazard than the original.

bladespin wrote: »
    Statistics don't lie

They seem to lie by omission quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Ah God bless the likes of the Sony XPlod head units that you took the face off and put it in a box to stop people breaking into the car and robbing it :D

I had on of these at one stage along with a small remote that strapped onto the steering wheel:

SONY_CDX-GT45IP.jpg

Back then there was no such thing as telling your insurance company about such "upgrades".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭bladespin

They seem to lie by omission quite a lot

Very low percentage though, could easily be dismissed as outliers and written off.

Very low percentage though, could easily be dismissed as outliers and written off.

What stats have you seen?

I can almost smell the "genuine car enthusiasts" here.

I can almost smell the "genuine car enthusiasts" here.

Me

Ow

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Statistics don't lie

But you can frame the question or remove "outliers" to get any answer you want

Don't forget the saying. "There's 3 types of lies. Lies, damn lies and statistics"

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I thought you couldn’t tint the front side windows either way these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I thought you couldn’t tint the front side windows either way these days?

I presumed absolutely no tint on front windows too.

I wasn't sure the two boys could see each other. They are both lashing out as gospel stuff that contradicts the other, but they don't care as long as the person asking awkward questions about insurance is put back in his box. Not to mention the fella with the invisible intangible statistics that simultaneously prove both of their assertions because insurance companies wouldn't just make something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I know nothing about tinted windows, but there will be a standard wording in most policies that your vehicle must comply with all regulations of the State. If the tinted windows are legal, the insurer must put in a specific exclusion relating to them. If they are non-compliant, the main wording will get you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement