Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy nice Christmas cards?

• 16-08-2019 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Anyone know any shops or websites that sell nice Christmas cards? I usually get cards that are sold for charities in Easons but was thinking of getting something different this year. A friend of mine usually gets her in Next and Debenhams and they're nice but wanted to get some recommendations. The ones on Amazon are similar to the ones I usually buy. Is there any other websites that other people have found good?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Oxfam usually have nice ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

This is a tricky question.
    It really depends on what you consider to be nice and what your budget is.
    I have seen nice cards in most retail outlets every year and some of the nice one's were expensive. You just have to see what's instore.
    Even in pound shops you can pick up a nice box of cards.

There's also the route of going down a personalised card with a photo.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or making your own.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hallmark also do lovely cards. I often get cards and wrapping paper there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

What about cards designed by small designers and makers? If you go to a Christmas market or small design shop (coming up to Christmas), you’ll find all types of unique Christmas cards there - illustrations, graphic prints, handmade cards, etc

Check out Etsy too, if you’re looking online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I always go for the Irish guide dog ones for family reasons and I am dog mad. They are lovely cards. Who doesn't like puppies in the snow!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

RNLI do nice Christmas cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude13 wrote: »
    I always go for the Irish guide dog ones for family reasons and I am dog mad. They are lovely cards. Who doesn't like puppies in the snow!!

We usually go for the DSPCA ones. Did the Guide dog ones a couple of years ago as they had golden retriever puppies on them, as my family are golden retriever nuts they were the best receieved christmas cards ever, they absolutely loved them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

My wife usually picks the cards (I write and post!) however I know over the years she has got ones she’s like in lots of different places from pound shops to Brown Thomas, charity one etc. She is more into the picture on the card then quality of card itself. Sorry not a lot help I know other than to look round and keep an open mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Museum shops have lovely cards, could pick those with winter snow scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

It's like freshpopcorn said - it depends on what you're into.

I like to support the Irish charity ones - a local charity if possible and I also like to buy the ones made in Ireland.

However, if you happen to find yourself in the UK, The Card Factory is the way to go. I absolutely love their cards and stock up on my year's supply of birthday cards/occasion cards when I'm there. The only problem is they don't stock their seasonal stuff out of season!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I used to donate to the donkey sanctuary in Cork and they used to sell lovely cards through their brochures. You can order them from their sister organization in UK. I actually started supporting them initially after receiving a card at Christmas and it totally stood out from all the others.
    https://www.thedonkeysanctuary.org.uk/shop/categories/cards-and-wrapping

Also second the museum cards and The National Gallery in Dublin always used to have a lovely selection. Can be expensive and when I lived in Dublin used to head in before Christmas Eve and after and grab a few boxes for half price for the following year. Still have some boxes stashed away :p

You can find some unusual ones in the Chester Beatty Library and on Etsy too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

chuckles30 wrote: »
    However, if you happen to find yourself in the UK, The Card Factory is the way to go. I absolutely love their cards and stock up on my year's supply of birthday cards/occasion cards when I'm there. The only problem is they don't stock their seasonal stuff out of season!!

Just on this, I'm not sure where you're based but The Card Factory have a few shops in Ireland now :) There's definitely one in Blanchardstown and one in Ashbourne.

In relation to cards, I always get Dogs Trust ones as that's where we got our beloved doggie :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

jellybear wrote: »
    Just on this, I'm not sure where you're based but The Card Factory have a few shops in Ireland now
    I think there's one opening in the Ilac Centre in Dublin soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

jellybear wrote: »
    Just on this, I'm not sure where you're based but The Card Factory have a few shops in Ireland now :) There's definitely one in Blanchardstown and one in Ashbourne.
    Posy wrote: »
    I think there's one opening in the Ilac Centre in Dublin soon. :)

Will have to take a trip to the big smoke before Christmas so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭BANNERMAN98

I'm doing a Christmas card exchange from Ireland to USA, Hungary and beyond. I'd like to send unique Irish cards. Has anyone seen any boxes of like 20 or 40 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'm doing a Christmas card exchange from Ireland to USA, Hungary and beyond. I'd like to send unique Irish cards. Has anyone seen any boxes of like 20 or 40 or so?

Not boxes of cards, however my wife likes to send Irish cards to her family in America and has got them in the Pound shop on St.Stephens green the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Just seen this article today and it shows some really nice ones

I like the look of the National Trust ones

The best Christmas cards of 2019

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/christmas/0/best-christmas-cards-charity-personalised-multi-pack-funny-luxury/

Advertisement