Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Calculations

Options
  • 12-09-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I’m looking for some advice. Do the banks have to provide you with a calculation of interest charged on a mortgage. I feel the interest has been charged incorrectly on my mortgage. I requested a detailed breakdown which they have refused to provide. My loan agreement states the interest is charged monthly however the interest is being charged twice a month.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The standard calculation documents given are annual; and if the figures match that you aren't at a disadvantage.

If you legitimately feel you have an issue this is an issue for the Financial Ombudsman - https://www.fspo.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Duffers11

My loan agreement states interest is charged monthly however they are debiting interest twice monthly from the account. My main query being I didn’t think they could refuse to provide you with a calculation as to how these charges are met.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Interest on mortgage loans is calculated on a daily basis and usually "applied" on a monthly basis.

But it could be applied weekly or even daily and it wouldn't make any difference.

Also month by month the interest amount paid drops slightly and the capital amount paid increases slightly until the last payment when the interest will be just a couple of euro.

Darc19 wrote: »
    Interest on mortgage loans is calculated on a daily basis and usually "applied" on a monthly basis.

But it could be applied weekly or even daily and it wouldn't make any difference.

Also month by month the interest amount paid drops slightly and the capital amount paid increases slightly until the last payment when the interest will be just a couple of euro.

But surely I would have to agree to it being charged twice a month as they are essentially adding interest and then added it again.
    Do I have a right to see how they are getting these figures? The fact they are refusing to provide these makes me wonder all the more as this institute is notorious for overcharging customers on their mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Duffers11 wrote: »
    But surely I would have to agree to it being charged twice a month as they are essentially adding interest and then added it again.

That would be happening anyway, it makes no difference. As Darc19 said above, the interest is calculated on a daily basis. Whether they apply it to your visible balance weekly, every 2 or 4 weeks doesn't affect your outstanding balance.

When they 'apply' the interest to your balance, all they're doing is synchronising the balance they maintain in the background (where interest is applied daily) with the one you can see. How often they do this does not affect the amount of interest you pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

coylemj wrote: »
    That would be happening anyway, it makes no difference. As Darc19 said above, the interest is calculated on a daily basis. Whether they apply it to your visible balance weekly, every 2 or 4 weeks doesn't affect your outstanding balance.

When they 'apply' the interest to your balance, all they're doing is synchronising the balance they maintain in the background (where interest is applied daily) with the one you can see. How often they do this does not affect the amount of interest you pay.

Actually, that's not correct! Applying the interest fortnightly actually would end up costing the customer more than if it was applied monthly. Once the interest is applied, it is effectively "capitalised". Interest is calculated daily on the outstanding balance. Once it is applied to the account (typically monthly), that is when you are paying "interest on the interest". By applying the interest fortnightly, the customer is being charged "interest on the interest" earlier than they normally would. Each case would be very small, but over the life of a mortgage, could add up to quite a few bob.

If the loan agreement states that interest is applied monthly, then it must be applied monthly, and the OP should make a formal complaint.

dotsman wrote: »
    Actually, that's not correct! Applying the interest fortnightly actually would end up costing the customer more than if it was applied monthly. Once the interest is applied, it is effectively "capitalised". Interest is calculated daily on the outstanding balance. Once it is applied to the account (typically monthly), that is when you are paying "interest on the interest". By applying the interest fortnightly, the customer is being charged "interest on the interest" earlier than they normally would. Each case would be very small, but over the life of a mortgage, could add up to quite a few bob.

If the loan agreement states that interest is applied monthly, then it must be applied monthly, and the OP should make a formal complaint.

Thank you, that’s what my understanding of it is. Interest on interest. When I asked them for a breakdown they refused to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

dotsman wrote: »

I thought interest was only paid on the balance? At first the interest is so high because the balance is at it's highest. But each month more will go off the capital and less to interest. At no point are you paying interest on interest.

Apologies if I'm way off. Can anyone confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Interest won't be added to a balance, or compounded, unless you miss a payment right? Depending on the loan agreement.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Interest won't be added to a balance, or compounded, unless you miss a payment right? Depending on the loan agreement.

This is what I thought. The interest is building up daily but is never actually applied to the balance. The payments are applied to the balance as:
    total payment - interest

The interest is not added to the balance. You just pay it and the left over goes off the balance.

This is the calculator I normally use as you can see the amortisation schedule.

https://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/amortization-calculator.aspx

• Advertisement

I’m clueless at how it works hence looking for advice on how to proceed 😬 but from what I’m looking at on my loan is the interest being applied so therefore it’s applied to the balance. Then interest is being charged again so it’s incorporating the previous interest balance. My loan is capital and interest and understand that at the start, you are paying more interest but not twice a month. What actually made me look at the situation is that I changed the rate and they charged me one month at the new rate and then increased it the next month, not much in the difference but they said there was a slight discrepancy in the manual v automated calculation even though I have a letter confirming the monthly payment would be what they took the first month after changing rate. Then when I looked at the overall statement, I could see 2 debit interest charges per month. I can’t understand why they are refusing to provide a breakdown on it considering I am paying it. And I’ve never missed a payment in my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

L1011 wrote: »
    The standard calculation documents given are annual; and if the figures match that you aren't at a disadvantage.

If you legitimately feel you have an issue this is an issue for the Financial Ombudsman - https://www.fspo.ie/

You can just go to the ombudsman, you have to exhaust the internal bank procedures first. If at that stage your issues is not resolved, you can then go to the ombudsman.

The best thing to do is to raise it as a formal complaint. It will get investigated properly and explained to you in full. Hopefully that will resolve your issue. If indeed they are charging your interest incorrectly they will arrange a refund and correct the issue.

They can't ignore a formal complaint as they are legally bound to deal with them, and within specified timeframes, under the Consumer Protection Code.

TheShow wrote: »
    You can just go to the ombudsman, you have to exhaust the internal bank procedures first. If at that stage your issues is not resolved, you can then go to the ombudsman.

The best thing to do is to raise it as a formal complaint. It will get investigated properly and explained to you in full. Hopefully that will resolve your issue. If indeed they are charging your interest incorrectly they will arrange a refund and correct the issue.

They can't ignore a formal complaint as they are legally bound to deal with them, and within specified timeframes, under the Consumer Protection Code.

I did raise a formal complaint and that is what they responded with. That they cannot facilitate my request to provide a breakdown and their say is final on the matter. It beggars belief really! So I think I have no option but to pursue to the ombudsman!

Wheety wrote: »
    I thought interest was only paid on the balance? At first the interest is so high because the balance is at it's highest. But each month more will go off the capital and less to interest. At no point are you paying interest on interest.

Apologies if I'm way off. Can anyone confirm?

interest is indeed compounded. you do pay interest on the balance that includes capital & interest.

I did raise a formal complaint and that is what they responded with. That they cannot facilitate my request to provide a breakdown and their say is final on the matter. It beggars belief really! So I think I have no option but to pursue to the ombudsman!

Ombudsman it is so.

interest is indeed compounded. you do pay interest on the balance that includes capital & interest.

Apart from the OP's situation as it sounds like it could be a mistake, how do you figure this?

If you have a mortgage of €200k at 3% over 30 years, the first couple of payments is as follows:
    Payment    Principal    Interest    Balance
    843.21     343.21       500.00      199,656.79
    843.21     344.07       499.14      199,312.73

The interest comes off your payment and the rest comes off the balance. At no point is the interest added to your balance.

Edit: Maybe, I'm wrong here in when the 'interest on interest' is applied. The interest is added daily. Are you saying that day 10 of the month, interest is charged on the balance and the accrued interest of the previous 9 days?

Edit2: I don't think that's true actually. That calculator, exactly matches what I pay for my mortgage when I put in the correct details. And €500 is the correct amount of interest if it's calculated as (€200k x 0.03)/12.

Taking last month as an example as I don't have full statement in front of me but there are 3 transactions on my account. Interest debit accrued on the 16th, then again on the 22nd and monthly payment on the 30th.

Taking last month as an example as I don't have full statement in front of me but there are 3 transactions on my account. Interest debit accrued on the 16th, then again on the 22nd and monthly payment on the 30th.

I'm not sure what they're doing there.

My statement has transactions on only 1 day a month.

Payment received
    Interest added (and deducted at the same time from the payment)
    Balance of payment applied to capital

Then I see the new capital total.

Definitely follow through with this. I'm sure if you go on the ombudsman website you'll see the procedure but I think you need the bank to say it's their final decision on your complaint. Then you can raise it with the ombudsman.

its unusual to compound the interest twice in a month.

Interest is normally calculated on a daily balance and compounded either monthly or quarterly.

its either a mistake or its just the way they do it.

Check the Terms & conditions, it should state the compounding frequency in there.

Are the amounts different? Is one of the dates the previous date of payment, before the rate change?

I'm just wondering if they're somehow charging you both rates.

• Advertisement

I wish looking at my account was that simple!
    Well I have in writing from the bank that they will not facilitate my request of a breakdown explanation. I advised them that the complaint was open from my end and they concluded it and closed it with no merit. I'm definitely going to escalate to ombudsman. Thanks for the advice!

Yes the amounts are different. The account has been like this since day one so changing the rate over the last few months hasn't changed that there are 3 transactions a month on the a/c.

its unusual to compound the interest twice in a month.

Interest is normally calculated on a daily balance and compounded either monthly or quarterly.

its either a mistake or its just the way they do it.

Check the Terms & conditions, it should state the compounding frequency in there.

Loan agreement states monthly.

It definitely sounds wrong. Be interesting to hear the outcome of this.

Wheety wrote: »
    It definitely sounds wrong. Be interesting to hear the outcome of this.

Will keep you posted. After all the stress, hopefully I get a big fat refund! :pac:

I'm going to try this one more time. If you don't understand, go ahead and complain to your bank and/or the ombudsman but you'll get nowhere. And you can dream on about a refund.

I'm going to try this one more time. If you don't understand, go ahead and complain to your bank and/or the ombudsman but you'll get nowhere. And you can dream on about a refund.

You must work for the bank do you! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Can you not just check against an online calculator to see do the figures match, don't worry about the applied interest just look at you balance after any payment.
    I'd be doubtful that there is anything wrong here.

Do you overpay at all? if so that could cause issues with online calculators, even ones that allow for it as will depend on exactly when bank apply overpayment.

You must work for the bank do you! :D

I'm good at numbers and have studied mortage calculations for several years. Trying to make sense of it is not easy.

Before banks were required by law to show the true rate of interest (APR), converting the advertised rate to the true rate required a bit of reverse engineering which I eventually managed to do. AIB and BoI used to quote retail rates based on different calculations. Back in the 1980s and 90s, one of them took their quarterly rate, multiplied it by four and quoted that in their ads. The other bank took their monthly rate, multiplied it by 12 and that's what they quoted. Both of the numbers were false because they ignored compounding.

It meant that even if they both charged the same APR, the one that multiplied their monthly rate by 12 appeared to be lower than the other, even if they they were charging identical rates of interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Interest on mortgages is always calculated daily and "amoritised".

If they printed out each day's interest it would take up pages of print, therefore it is applied monthly or in the ops case every couple of weeks.

It would be nigh on impossible to have a different charging system for one mortgage.

They probably don't understand your request and in any case it's probably written in your mortgage agreement.

Google "amortization calculator" and enter figures to probably get the identical figures that the bank has.

Maybe ask the bank the question in a different way?

Advertisement