Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should some vaccinations be mandatory?

Options
  • 12-09-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭

Minister for Health Simon Harris when asked if he would introduce mandatory vaccination for children and ban unvaccinated youngsters from schools, he said: "I do have a very open mind in relation to the issue of mandatory vaccines. I see this as something that is being raised in lots of other countries and Ireland needs to be part of that debate."

"It does not sit well with me that you would send your child to a creche without being vaccinated and knowing that not only are you putting their health at risk but other children’s health too."

"When it comes to schools, children have a constitutional right to education and there are rights that need to be balanced but there is also a public health issue."

Should some vaccinations be mandatory? 104 votes

In some cases, yes.
    75% 79 votes
    Never.
    24% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

No, IMHO. But there should be more done to educate people on the issue and debunk the anti vaxxer spiel. Also goverment's and the pharma industry need to be more transparent with the possible side effects of the vaccines. There are stories of apparently healthy children having adverse effects to vaccines and this should be clearly stated if true and not hidden.

Surely in the scenario Simon mentioned it is only the unvaxed child that is at risk. All other children who have been vaxed should be covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Surely in the scenario Simon mentioned it is only the unvaxed child that is at risk. All other children who have been vaxed should be covered.

The problem is unvaccinated people carrying the virus and infecting children too young to have received their full vaccinations. Widespread vaccination reduces the risk of the virus being active in the wider community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes, the criminal stupidity of some parents has to be overcome to protect the general public. Why should anyone else be exposed to illness and indeed potentially deadly illness because of refuseniks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

No, IMHO. But there should be more done to educate people on the issue and debunk the anti vaxxer spiel. Also goverment's and the pharma industry need to be more transparent with the possible side effects of the vaccines. There are stories of apparently healthy children having adverse effects to vaccines and this should be clearly stated if true and not hidden.

Who are hiding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yes, there are many children who can't get vaccinated due to other health issues. These children rely on herd immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Yes, mandatory. No children’s allowance if you refuse to comply. The anti vaccination movement is a load of conspiracy theory lead nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

How could mandatory vaccination be implemented?

I'm just curious. A parent could just not bring their child to the doctor, or if they did bring them for some other reason, could a doctor administer a vaccine to the child without consent? That could be classed as an assault. Would the public health nurse be sent to the door?

I'm not anti-vax, both my kids got all their vaccines, but I'm just wondering out loud how it would work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

To protect children from their idiot parents, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You know that annoying piece of paper you find inside your box of tablets or bottle of calpol etc?? That normally has all of the side effects, along with the ratio of people it affected.

Some people cannot take the vaccine. They are at most risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Mandatory. No vaccines, no school. No school, truant officer calling to the door. You can be an idiot on your own dime. Endanger me or mine, you're going down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

AulWan wrote: »

I'm just curious. A parent could just not bring their child to the doctor, or if they did bring them for some other reason, could a doctor administer a vaccine to the child without consent? That could be classed as an assault. Would the public health nurse be sent to the door?

I'm not anti-vax, both my kids got all their vaccines, but I'm just wondering out loud how it would work.

usually it's done in conjunction with school enrollment. No schooling without a vax cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Need your vaccination record to get CA, attend playschool or attend mainstream school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

My first had a rocky start so vaccinations were behind schedule on the advice of medical team, I did get letters from hse reminding me..... Fully vaccinated now so not sure what their next step would have been.

Crèche also looked for details of vaccinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭Cordell

Not providing vaccinations should be treated just as any other failure or refusal to provide vital medical treatment for your children as child neglect and possibly result in having your children taken away. Schools and creches and preschools need to require vaccination certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Yes, I believe they should be mandatory except in cases where there is a legitimate medical reason why the child can't receive the vaccine.

Look at all the countries losing their measles-free status at the moment as a result of the anti-MMR crowd? The risks of someone with a compromised immune system, such as a baby or a transplant patient, being exposed to measles and mumps is higher than it was 20 years ago, and it can be lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Just like we have fluoride in our water to strengthen our enamel and teeth Vaccines should be mandatory. I mean what like, do you want to get a disease or have the opportunity to get a disease or something? Or worse yet spread it to other people? Vaccines go beyond just your personal decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Unless you have a medical reason for not being vaccinated then you should.
    If you CHOOSE not to vaccinate your children then you should not be allowed access to creches, public schools and also any clubs where children attend. Soccer, GAA, Rugby etc.

If you don't vaccinate then you and your children should be shunned like the lepers of old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Unless you have a medical reason for not being vaccinated then you should.
    If you CHOOSE not to vaccinate your children then you should not be allowed access to creches, public schools and also any clubs where children attend. Soccer, GAA, Rugby etc.

If you don't vaccinate then you and your children should be shunned like the lepers of old.

Yeah, let's punish the children for the actions of their parents. Makes perfect sense and won't have an effect on them at all.

No, I dont think vaccinations should be mandatory because I dont think that removing parental choice and consent in such matters is really a good idea. It makes me very uneasy.

My child is fully vaccinated so I'm not a "crazy" anti vaxxer before anyone says that. I respect people's choices and some are for valid reasons and not based on conspiracy theories.

Removal parental choice is the most unfounded argument there is! There is no choice in this matter, vaccines are safe and absolutely required.
    Do you have the parental choice of not feeding your child?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    My child is fully vaccinated so I'm not a "crazy" anti vaxxer before anyone says that. I respect people's choices and some are for valid reasons and not based on conspiracy theories.

Like what though? Aside from a medical issue that prevents vaccination, what is a valid reason?

It is the law for parents to educate their children, for their benefit and that of society, should parents have a right to say no to that as well?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yeah, let's punish the children for the actions of their parents. Makes perfect sense and won't have an effect on them at all.

No, I dont think vaccinations should be mandatory because I dont think that removing parental choice in any matter involving a person's children is really a good idea.

Those that have valid reasons are few and far between.

Cordell wrote: »
    Removal parental choice is the most unfounded argument there is! There is no choice in this matter, vaccines are safe and absolutely required.
    Do you have the parental choice of not feeding your child?

No vaccine is 100% safe, there is always the chance of severe adverse effects, however small that may be. Some parents dont want to take that risk for various reasons.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

No vaccine is 100% safe, there is always the chance of severe adverse effects, however small that may be. Some parents dont want to take that risk for various reasons.

That's true of eating peanuts, going for a swim, or driving a car...

Have there ever been proven severe effects to the standard vaccine schedule in Ireland? I don't think those parents have a right to increase the risk of other people dying through a preventable serious illness, which is a known and proven threat.

No, I dont think vaccinations should be mandatory because I dont think that removing parental choice and consent in such matters is really a good idea. It makes me very uneasy.

The ONLY valid reason for not being vaccinated is a medical one.

How about let's punish the children who can't get vaccines by allowing the anti-vaxxer's kids to infect them with measles and the like.

You wouldn't respect someones choice to allow their kid bring a gun to school, would you?

Like what though? Aside from a medical issue that prevents vaccination, what is a valid reason?

It is the law for parents to educate their children, for their benefit and that of society, should parents have a right to say no to that as well?

Well I said it before on the other thread, that a friend of mine chose not to vaccinate her child because her own brother was left severely disabled after being vaccinated. He was one of the very unlucky ones. He received a multi million dollar payout from the government to provide for the care he needed for the rest of his life (this is in the US)

She has no idea if the potential for such a reaction could be hereditary so she will not risk it. I completely understand that and I would consider that a medical choice not to tbh. Her sons doctors fully support her decision btw as they are aware of her family history.

Her son is my daughters best friend, I'm not going to shun him because of it, as suggested earlier ffs. That's just ridiculous.

It's the risk/benefit ratio, tl:dr version is actually safer to take the risk of giving the vaccine.
    Choking on their food happens more often than serious vaccine adverse reactions yet most parents still insist to feed their children.

Cordell wrote: »
    It's the risk/benefit ratio, tl:dr version is actually safer to take the risk of giving the vaccine.
    Choking on their food happens more often than serious vaccine adverse reactions yet most parents still insist to feed their children.

Yeah whatever. Dont really want to get into a debate about all that. You dont need to "convert" me, I already said that my child is fully vaccinated and will continue to be. I just dont agree with mandatory vaccinations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The ONLY valid reason for not being vaccinated is a medical one.

How about let's punish the children who can't get vaccines by allowing the anti-vaxxer's kids to infect them with measles and the like.

You wouldn't respect someones choice to allow their kid bring a gun to school, would you?
    What if those parents actions are to the detriment of other children? A baby in Perth Aus died recently. It turns out she got infected with measles from an unvaccinated child she came in contact with.

• Advertisement

Well I said it before on the other thread, that a friend of mine chose not to vaccinate her child because her own brother was left severely disabled after being vaccinated. He was one of the very unlucky ones. He received a multi million dollar payout from the government to provide for the care he needed for the rest of his life (this is in the US)

She has no idea if the potential for such a reaction could be hereditary so she will not risk it. I completely understand that and I would consider that a medical choice not to tbh. Her sons doctors fully support her decision btw as they are aware of her family history.

Her son is my daughters best friend, I'm not going to shun him because of it, as suggested earlier ffs. That's just ridiculous.

If I knew someone didn't get their child vaccinated then I'd have that child banned from my child's birthday parties, play dates etc. Fair is fair!

Advertisement