Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on how to keep my dog from getting out

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

knockers84 wrote: »
    This thread makes no sense.

Your partner is not closing the house door and that’s how the dogs are getting out? Tell your partner to close the bloomin front door.

With regards your partner can you not ask him to supervise the dogs in the garden and see how there getting out. Better still get a cheap webcam and set it on record on the garden.

If you want the dogs in the house then get a frame that will go across the door

This is actually an excellent idea - if your dogs arent jumpers, just runners, this might work - buy a babygate, get it attached to the door frame, put chicken wire on it if the dogs could squeeze through the bars, and force your partner to step up/over the gate, to get into the house.

You partner is not to be trusted with the dogs - the dogs are yours OP, he obviously doesnt have that sense of ownership, so you need to find a solution to keep your dogs safe. Jeepers if I were considering quitting my new job because my partner wouldnt keep my dogs safe in my absence, there would be some pretty dramatic discussions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP please do not shock the dog. It actually will not help as long as your partner is being as he is. The baby gate is the best idea but then would he respect that even?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

If you are on the verge of quitting work and really can't trust your partner, how about doggy day care?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

If you are on the verge of quitting work and really can't trust your partner, how about doggy day care?

Great idea! Perfect! As it seems the only safe way

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

searay wrote: »
    I bought the pet safe one in a Petworld store, but I think most pet shops stock them. There are other cheaper versions but being sure you can get batteries are important.

On the first day, our dog got a mild shock or 2, but she responds now to the beeping sound so does not get hurt at all. I’ve been shocked by it when testing the battery and it’s pretty minor. Far better for the dog than getting out on a busy road.
    Did you put it around your neck to test it? If not then you cant compare...

I hate these colars... people say that the dog learns, but the dog learns to be scared of the sound and there is nothing positive about that. teaching a dog to be scared stops the dog from trusting you.

You need to train your partner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i think doggy daycare might be the best plan, op?

and put the partner in the pen for the day... since they are so useless

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Put a collar camera on your partner. I can't understand how he doesn't see a dog going out, when he is going out.

Does your partner "want" the dog to escape? Does he even like the dog......maybe its deliberate?
    Its not hard to see if your dog is slipping out the door beside your leg like a rocket every time you open the door. Very easy to get used to tricks dogs (and cats) use and very easy to remedy things too. Your partner sounds absolutely clueless about the dog.

On "work" mornings my cats know because I'm up so early. They eat their food and sneak back upstairs to hide under beds and under duvets in the hope I wont spot them before I leave for the day (and put them out). It hasn't worked so far! You need an awareness when you have animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

IF you are on the verge of quitting work and don't trust your partner - how about a new partner - who respects you and what is important to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Could you build a dog run? A small fenced in area within the garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭bmc58

I had a Springer that could get on top of an 8 ft wall from a standing leap. He never actually went over the other side he just used stand on top looking all round.

Springers are hyper all the time,full of energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Car99 wrote: »
    Put a dog collar camera on your dog and see how it's escaping.

So let it escape one more time? A risk not worth taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,131 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Are both dogs getting out? Are the dogs neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Why anyone would want to get a device that would shock their family pet is beyond me A bit of common sense and responsibility is all that's needed.
    OP you need to find out where your dog is getting out before it's too late should you have to sit and watch for a day.

If she's jumping the fence build a bigger one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

How big is the garden, are there walls with trellis or fences with horizontal slats? Is the gate totally solid wood or are there gaps in some places, or is it wrought iron type? I have a garden gate with 4" vertical slats and gaps, secured by three horizontal boards. I covered it with horticultural fleece, stapled to the wood and put an extra horizontal bar at the bottom to prevent chewing/squeezing out that way. If you are absolutely certain that the garden is secure with block or stone walls of a reasonable height all the way around and either no side access or a very secure one, I'd concur with previous posters that the issue is not with the garden, nor with the dog.

I also agree with others that a shock collar should not be used, at least not on your dog.

Regarding your initial query about a pen while you're working, how would your dogs fare if it's snowing in a couple of months, or if it's stormy with thunder and lightning?

Perhaps one of the inhabitants of the house needs to be rehomed.

Advertisement