Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-platforming fascists works

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Isn't James O'Keefe the guy that released the sting "interview" with a Google Exec which turned out to be -massively- edited, altered and taken out of context to match a total lie Project Veritas were trying to spread. They were also caught in a dozen other lies about other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,730 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nope, I won't forgive you that nonsense. 'That's a Trump channel' is lazy. This is a common tactic by liberals on Boards to whinge about who has uploaded a video or reported on a story. Meanwhile the same people will post CNN clips and link to the NY Times as if these sources are not similarly biased.

Here's an article on the guy and the video is there:

https://www.projectveritas.com/2019/08/14/google-machine-learning-fairness-whistleblower-goes-public-says-burden-lifted-off-of-my-soul/

Well, there has been quite a bit of exposure about how the big tech platforms have misused their positions but Dr. Robert Epstein is good for a start, as he has exposed some of Google's nefarious actions and indeed spoke before US congress on his findings:

So no mention of the right wing whingebags in your ilk that QQ every time a CNN or NYT link is shared? Hypocrisy I tells ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah cmon surely you know by now mainstream = fake news
    Demented fringe = 100% true

Thats conspiracy 101

When did the left become so fond of what used to be called corporate media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Veritas Libertas

When it aligns with their interests. Integrity be damned!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Here's an example of Twitter suspending an account of an innocuous tweet:

nicolerussell1.jpg

Meghan infamously went on to get permanently banned for saying "Men aren't women tho".
    mm1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the idiocy of those celebrating deplatforming beggars belief.

you do realise that one day the shoe will be on the other foot? these things go in circles.

in any case its further proof, if any were needed, that leftist regressivism is now establishment mainstream orthodoxy.

Yesterdays book burners are today's deplatfotmers. If the jackbook fits, wear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Antifa and communists own the 'liberal' media. Didn't you know? Having the likes of Trump, Johnson et. al. is a ruse ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,730 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Isn't James O'Keefe the guy that released the sting "interview" with a Google Exec which turned out to be -massively- edited, altered and taken out of context to match a total lie Project Veritas were trying to spread. They were also caught in a dozen other lies about other people.

Now, I'm not saying liberal media is great, but for someone who goes on about the fake news and dishonest media, you do seem to enjoy posting links to other liars.

Yes they instigated dozens of state and federal investigations into planned parenthood with highly doctored footage. Wasted countless millions of tax dollars only to have the claims in the videos wind up being utterly bogus.

Project Veritas isn’t just the inaccurate they are deliberately and maliciously conniving and misleading, not afraid to generate utter falsehoods for an agenda.

Antifa and communists own the 'liberal' media. Didn't you know? Having the likes of Trump, Johnson et. al. is a ruse ;)

Shoddy sneer. The US corporate media may be anti Trump but it’s as right wing as ever when it comes to killing non Americans.

I saw a twitter account a few days ago. The profile read.

She/her resistance pro-NATO anti Putin.

That’s where we are. That’s the left now. Russophobic and pro war.

Of course the mainstream media has a bias always has has.

Shoddy sneer. The US corporate media may be anti Trump but it’s as right wing as ever when it comes to killing non Americans.

Of course the mainstream media has a bias always has has.

You're the one calling out people for taking their news from trusted respected news sources because you think they're 'the left' and should what, be raging against 'the man'?

You know individuals on twitter aren't public representatives right?
    Putin is a murderous dictator and Trump wants us all to be friends with him for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

lol. You know nothing about Twitter to say that it takes a lot to get banned there. I've been posting on there for years and had multiple accounts temp suspended which is where they suspend your account and ask you to click a button to delete a tweet for breaking their TOS. When you ask them what aspect of the TOS the tweet breaks they won't tell you. Each and every time that has happened to me I had been been responding to a tweet from a prominent liberal account and my tweet was as innocuous as it got.

My opinion on why this happens is that it is automated in some way and that when a certain amount of leftists have reported you (for daring to disagree with a famous liberal) the suspensions are automatic. I simply don't think they have the personal to check the amount of tweets that get flagged and which result in an automated suspension.
    Been actively on it since January 2009, have never faced a warning of any kind. Know plenty of the more political tweeters in real life, can think of one or two that have been suspended maybe once. The only accounts that I can think of being suspended multiple times, tended to deserve it.. :pac:

You're the one calling out people for taking their news from trusted respected news sources because you think they're 'the left' and should what, be raging against 'the man'?

Yes. You should.
    You know individuals on twitter aren't public representatives right?

When did I say you were?
    Putin is a murderous dictator and Trump wants us all to be friends with him for some reason.

In fact trump has upped sanctions against Putin. Meanwhile the US remains friends with many murderous dictators which are rarely mentioned in the controlled American discourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

the idiocy of those celebrating deplatforming beggars belief.

you do realise that one day the shoe will be on the other foot? these things go in circles.

in any case its further proof, if any were needed, that leftist regressivism is now establishment mainstream orthodoxy.

Yesterdays book burners are today's deplatfotmers. If the jackbook fits, wear it.

Anyone, literally anyone should be deplatformed from mainstream social media if they use it as a platform to promote hatred or violence among others. I don't care if they're left or right wing.

First they came for the Nazis*, and I did not speak out, because I was not a Nazi.

*Well, a very odd one

Yes. You should.

Only the unsung alt-right heroes of 'the truth' need get their news from some youtuber in his Ma's house.

When did I say you were?

Never said you said me. You suggest this one account represents were the left are.
    In fact trump has upped sanctions against Putin. Meanwhile the US remains friends with many murderous dictators which are rarely mentioned in the controlled American discourse.

Trump wants him back in a G8. Any posturing is just business for Trump.
    So the media is biased for Trump or maybe Netanyahu, (not a dictator but murderous) now? I can't keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Class group think.

Anyone, literally anyone should be deplatformed from mainstream social media if they use it as a platform to promote hatred or violence among others. I don't care if they're left or right wing.

It's not just promoting hatred and violence that is resulting in people being deplatformed though, and it's a strawman to suggest that's what's behind the twitter suspensions which people are taking issue with.

Nobody has a problem with those suspensions, it's the suspensions which are clearly done purely due to a clear political bias that people are objecting to.

Here's another example. James Woods suspended for tweeting the following meme:

https://twitter.com/KayaJones/status/1043663579625402368

Trump wants him back in a G8. Any posturing is just business for Trump.
    So the media is biased for Trump or maybe Netanyahu, (not a dictator but murderous) now? I can't keep up.

I said the media was anti trump. You can read that a few posts ago. Literally Where did I say anything, or reference anything about Netanyahu? He’s not a dictator.

I also said the us media creates a narrative that encourages war and continuous conflict.

In general as the right is getting more isolationist the pro war rhetoric is promoted to the “left”. Anti Putin. Anti Assad.

The right is still more anti Iran, but no doubt if Russia becomes closer to Iran the “left” will join in. As China gets more powerful expect to hear more about Chinese atrocities.

Read a bit of Chomsky. Just because your ideological foes think that the American media is biased, doesn’t mean it isn’t.

As Orwell said once “just because the daily telegraph says it’s September 10th, doesn’t mean it isn’t”.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I don't think the left is that fond of the corporate media. Sure, the majority of people who aren't on the fringes do get their news from the mainstream corporate media but that's because it's readily available and their journalistic output, as opposed to their editorial output, is fairly solid. But those could people could hardly be described as "the left" unless you go to extreme lengths to redefine the phrase.

An absolute beauty of a column from Declan Lynch here:

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/declan-lynch/declan-lynch-piers-come-to-ireland-to-see-what-liberals-have-really-done-38433865.html

Declan Lynch: 'Piers, come to Ireland to see what liberals have really done'

He was clearly proud of it, was Piers Morgan, this line of his in an interview which had got millions of "views", under the heading: ''The left have become unbearable.''

"I seem to have struck a chord," he tweeted, deeply satisfied that he and his far-right host Ben Shapiro, of Breitbart fame, had nailed "the PC culture" and "snowflakery" and how "liberals have become utterly, pathetically illiberal".

So we'll stop it just there, to make a couple of observations: first, though the heading said that ''The left have become unbearable'', Morgan clearly must mean the cultural left, because of course economically and politically, several of the formerly great democracies have now gone so far to the right they may eventually be meeting the left at the other end.

As for the bits about PC culture and snowflakery and liberals being illiberal, I would suggest that about 15 years ago it became unacceptable for any journalist to put forward these views as if they were interesting or clever or original - unacceptable not in the sense that these views should be somehow disallowed, but morally and intellectually unacceptable in the sense that so many other hacks had already pounded out those desperate blatherings so many times, you'd be embarrassed as a fellow human being even to read someone else writing them, let alone to write them yourself.

Yet Morgan is still at it, another of these hacks, these terrible, terrible hacks.

Hackery, indeed, has done much to create the current omnishambles - Morgan's hackery is no more shameless than that of Boris Johnson or Michael Gove. But even before those spectacularly shameless hacks were hacking their way to glory, the road to hack heaven was packed with columnists bellyaching about liberals being, in fact, illiberal.

A feeling of peace would descend upon them, as they whipped that one out again, admiring themselves for the Wildean reversal which they are about to lay on the reader for the 197th time: liberals, you see, should be liberal… but you know what? They're not liberal at all!

And so in 2019, Piers Morgan, the former tabloid hack, the hack who would give instructions to other hacks on how to hack, is still doing the old PC-gone-mad bit, and the snowflake bit, and the liberals being illiberal bit.

And not only is he not prostrate with shame, he is proud - though he seems to have some small awareness that it is not, in fact, the left which is entirely shaping our destinies at this time, when he argues that "populism is rising because people are fed up with PC culture". So they are "gravitating to forceful personalities".

Interestingly, he goes on to describe the liberals telling everyone how to live, as being "fascist". He does not see the "forceful personalities" as being fascist, though his mate Trump was about to indulge in an actual anti-Semitic trope - they always get there eventually, the forceful personalities.

But Morgan sees himself as a liberal type - which is also wrong. He is a hack, so he was loving the pure hackery of "this environment where everyone is offended by everything", this culture that is leading us to disaster.

And with Shapiro sitting there loving it, Morgan identified one of the main disasters that has been landed on us, by the liberal "fascists" - thanks to them, you can't get a proper awards ceremony any more.

"If you said a joke 10 years ago that offended somebody, you can never host the Oscars. So now there's no host for anything. The Emmys now just said they're not gonna host either. So hosts have gone.

"And soon every award winner will go, because everyone's human and they're all flawed - so no one can win awards any more. So then no hosts, no stars. Then no one can make any movies because we're all flawed. So no actors, so suddenly, where are we? The liberals get what they want, which is a humourless void…"

Now I don't know if Morgan has ever actually seen a movie, but on the whole, it is probably better that they have been made by "liberals" than by the lads from Breitbart.

The awards ceremonies though… he might not be totally wrong about that one.

"Hosts have gone," he mourns, and for him this seems to have all the tragic resonance of the fall of Constantinople.

"And soon every award winner will go," he adds, presenting us with a vision of imminent catastrophe which reminds us that he is half-Irish, and perhaps given to our unusual forms of melancholia.

We can help him here though, because culturally Ireland is now one of the most liberal countries in the world. And how is that working out?

Well… it's OK isn't it?

I mean, the old conservative traditions in Ireland required things like the incarceration and torture of poor and unwanted children. Under the illiberal liberalism which Morgan sees as fascistic, we may have to re-imagine a few awards ceremonies.

So it's Letterfrack and the Magdalene Laundries on the one hand. A few tweaks to the IFTAs on the other.

It's better now.

• Advertisement

I said the media was anti trump. You can read that a few posts ago. Literally Where did I say anything, or reference anything about Netanyahu? He’s not a dictator.

I also said the us media creates a narrative that encourages war and continuous conflict.

In general as the right is getting more isolationist the pro war rhetoric is promoted to the “left”. Anti Putin. Anti Assad.

The right is still more anti Iran, but no doubt if Russia becomes closer to Iran the “left” will join in. As China gets more powerful expect to hear more about Chinese atrocities.

I said he wasn't a dictator. I was thinking of murderous leader that might fall into...
    Meanwhile the US remains friends with many murderous dictators which are rarely mentioned in the controlled American discourse.

Who were you thinking of?

What's left about not liking murderous dictators? I can see how doing business with them could be seen as right though.
    Trying to put everything bad on the left including war mongering? It's just not credible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

This shift to ultra left and no offence will continue.

If you look at society every 50 years it's completely different to the previous 50. So we're going to see mad **** in the future.

I heard Shane Coleman on Newstalk breakfast call someone chairwoman sure...

Trying to put everything bad on the left including war mongering? It's just not credible.

Well, if you take words to mean something other than what they actually mean, then it does become credible in a messed up way.

For example, if I say that that the sky is green where green is now defined to be that colour that we call blue, then I would be correct in a sense. A weird kind of sense but still a kind of sense. Similarly, if you define "the left" as basically everyone to the left of FOX news, then in your own mind, you could then logically conclude that "the left" likes war mongering.

Of course, this is all very confusing and it can be tiresome trying to figure out what someone is talking about when they are using their own definitions for words but this is where we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Cordell

The disgraced right-wing troll is complaining that the major social media companies have effectively cut off his alt-right audience — and crushed his ability to make a decent living
    #learntocode

This shift to ultra left and no offence will continue.

If you look at society every 50 years it's completely different to the previous 50. So we're going to see mad **** in the future.

I heard Shane Coleman on Newstalk breakfast call someone chairwoman sure...

What shift to the 'ultra left'? Seriously, show your work ffs..
    Do you see the UK and US leaders? Hardly trotskyites.
    A few people give out on social media and fearful of change folk complain about them en masse....seriously.

twixer22 wrote: »
    Lefty PC SJW opinions can only survive with heavy Moderation and censorship of alternative view points.
    The fact is Lefty PC SJW policies will not stand up to any critical analysis, hence we have arrived at this point in time that the Lefty PC SJW folk shut down and de-platform any criticism.
    We are now find ourselves in the position of waiting for the Lefty PC SJW folk to turn on themselves, to call each other out for perceived violations of Lefty PC SJW rules/laws, ultimately this kills the Lefty PC SJW movement, all ways has and alls way will.
    It just a matter of time before the Lefty PC SJW movement collapses, in the mean time, right minded people sit back and laughs they try to out do each other, to show how right on they are, sure its gas stuff altogether.

Those pills in the box in the bathroom below the mirror with 6:00PM in large letters written on it - are they still there?

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    An absolute beauty of a column from Declan Lynch here:

An absolute monstrosity of an column more like.

The vast vast vast majority of those that despise the left today were fully behind exposing abuse in the church ffs.

As for trying to excuse today's corrupt left because liberals of old (along with cenrists by the way) pushed for less censorship.... what an absurd line of argument to make given that today's left are trying to get comedians "cancelled" because they don't like their jokes.

No idea who that journalist is but if that article is anything to go by, he's an idiot.

I used to consider myself a liberal by the way. I campaigned for the sale of condoms here in the late 80's, was in favour of divorce, gay marriage etc but that kind of liberalism is long gone. Liberals today want to control and silence people. They have become the very thing that people like me used to despise. So please, stop comparing liberals of old to today's left as they have very little in common.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Is anyone else dying to see Outlaw "this is a common tactic by liberals" Pete's multiple banned twitter accounts :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

There is absolutely no need to be a condescending arse.
    I was responding in kind.

Back off the pair of you. There is no need for either of you to have personal digs at each other

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in thread

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

What shift to the 'ultra left'? Seriously, show your work ffs..
    Do you see the UK and US leaders? Hardly trotskyites.
    A few people give out on social media and fearful of change folk complain about them en masse....seriously.

Prime example is people calling Trump a racist and fascist because he doesn't want illegal immigration. He's married to an immigrant ffs.

Advertisement