Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parts availability for 80s and 90s Renaults, main dealer?

Options
  • 08-09-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭

As per the thread title, what is parts availability like for cars such as the 5, 9, 11, 19, 21, 25 and mk1 Clio. I'm talking about new or at least new old stock parts here.

The likes of Taros Trade in Bulgaria seems to have some parts for the Renault 19 but a lot less for the 21. There are parts suppliers in the Czech Republic that seem to have some items. Obviously these are going to be "non genuine" parts.

If someone were to call to a Renault dealer in Ireland and ask about, say, body panels or bumpers or headlights for the above models would they be able to assist or would it be a case of "computer says no".

A post on the autosh*te forum stated that Renault are not too bad for getting parts for long obsolete models and are better than the likes of Ford.

As an aside, below is a website with Renault parts numbers and illustrations, it seems to take its data from the Dialogys software that the main dealers use or used to use.
    http://www.catcar.info/renault/?lang=en&l=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Try some of the Renault dealers that have been around since then, they might have old stock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Renault changed their parts system a few years ago making it hard to find parts for older cars. That's not saying they don't have them. You'll need to contact a dealer who cares enough to help. I'm running an early Clio and 19 RSi. It depends what your looking for tbh. Some parts are impossible to get. Mechanically they're fine but window rubbers are rarer than hens teeth.

R21 parts are very rare, Renault destroyed their stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

ba_barabus wrote: »

R21 parts are very rare, Renault destroyed their stock.

Why would they do that, have they no faith in the longevity of their cars?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hi5 wrote: »
    Why would they do that, have they no faith in the longevity of their cars?

The cost to store something that'll unlikely still be needed 30 years on. They are in the business of selling cars. Not keeping them running.

The cost to store something that'll unlikely still be needed 30 years on. They are in the business of selling cars. Not keeping them running.
    Yep. The R21 was a complicated car. Different engines affected the entire front end of the car so there wasn't one standard front wing for the R21 for example. To keep parts would have cost a fortune....and the R21 wasn't lasting well either. Better if it disappeared if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I take it from this thread that there isn't some big warehouse in France or the UK that stocks large parts e.g. body panels for obsolete models and that the the main dealers can order from. There may be some bits and pieces in dealers' stock rooms.

Re: the Renault 21 and to followup on what I said earlier about the Czech Republic, here is a website with some parts. The picture of the front wings also illustrates what Ba Baracus has just said - the R21 2.0 litre had a longitudinal mounted engine and compared to the transverse mounted 1.7, the 2.0 car had a shorter wheelbase with the wheel arch a couple of inches further back in the wing. Mad stuff!
    http://www.superdily.cz/eshop3.asp?page=1&s=0&ppodkat=21--K48-B48---SDN-HB-KOMBI----87-95&podkat=RENAULT&kat=21&trid=zbozi.nazev&vyrobce=

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I take it from this thread that there isn't some big warehouse in France or the UK that stocks large parts e.g. body panels for obsolete models and that the the main dealers can order from. There may be some bits and pieces in dealers' stock rooms.

I wish. You can get lucky at dealerships but the stock was all written off years ago and for the most part has been dumped. Enthusiastic owners keep them going. Mechanically it's easy enough to source parts but can get a bit more difficult after that.

Advertisement