Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% renewable electricity companies, bull****.

Options
  • 05-09-2019 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭

Sse, energia. How can they brag about providing 100% clean electricity when their electricity is “mixed in” with fossil fuel generated electricity, in the transmission and distribution network? Surely this is misleading customers.
    Some people seem to think the electricity they are using in their house comes straight from a wind farm exclusively!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

They use fuel from the fossils of vegan dinosaurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Xterminator

how did they mislead you?

do you think they have a completely separate electricity infrastructure for the delivery of renewable electricity? If you thought that, i would suspect it was a 'you' problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Fart wrote: »
    They use fuel from the fossils of vegan dinosaurs.

Still not renewable.

how did they mislead you?

do you think they have a completely separate electricity infrastructure for the delivery of renewable electricity? If you thought that, i would suspect it was a 'you' problem.

Didn’t mislead me. They are misleading others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

tom1ie wrote: »
    Still not renewable.

Will be once Jurassic Park gets up and running.

• Advertisement

Will be once Jurassic Park gets up and running.

When? Where? How much?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

When? Where? How much?

I hear Inis Mor is a possibility. Planning to take the ferry over and just throw all my money at them once confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭blackbox

They can only sell the electricity they buy, and they claim to only buy it from renewable sources.
    The actual electrons in the transmission network are irrelevant.

blackbox wrote: »
    They can only sell the electricity they buy, and they claim to only buy it from renewable sources.

But of course its relevant.
    They say they are selling 100% renewable electricity.
    The electricity they are selling is NOT 100% renewable.
    It’s false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

blackbox wrote: »

Do they shut down on calm days?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

OP there is a greta thread you'd be most welcome on to vent your fury. Just be veryyyyyyyyyyy careful

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But of course its relevant.
    They say they are selling 100% renewable electricity.
    The electricity they are selling is NOT 100% renewable.
    It’s false advertising.

Assuming that 100% of the electricity that they sell into the grid is from renewable sources, how is it false advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sse, energia. How can they brag about providing 100% clean electricity when their electricity is “mixed in” with fossil fuel generated electricity, in the transmission and distribution network? Surely this is misleading customers.
    Some people seem to think the electricity they are using in their house comes straight from a wind farm exclusively!

Well I dont agree with the advertising either but to be fair if they were to produce x amount of power per year from wind and sold the same amountof of power to customers, all there electricity would be renewably produced. The mixing it onto the grid isnt such an issue. I doubt they just sell exactly what they produce though, more likely they just resell electricity like Bord Gais etc and the renewable only makes up a portion of sales.

OP there is a greta thread you'd be most welcome on to vent your fury. Just be veryyyyyyyyyyy careful

Ah no I’m not furious, it’s just I thought this was false advertising 101.
    What’s a Greta thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Ah no I’m not furious, it’s just I thought this was false advertising 101.
    What’s a Greta thread?

Just pop in to current affairs, it's generally at the top of latest posts

mickdw wrote: »
    Well I dont agree with the advertising either but to be fair if they were to produce x amount of power per year from wind and sold the same amountof of power to customers, all there electricity would be renewably produced. The mixing it onto the grid isnt such an issue. I doubt they just sell exactly what they produce, more likely they just resell electricity like Bord Gais etc.

But the company is misleading customers, who don’t know how the network works, into thinking they are getting 100% renewable electricity out of their network meter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Assuming that 100% of the electricity that they sell into the grid is from renewable sources, how is it false advertising?

If they generate 100MWH of electricity in total and then 50MWH of that is renewable, yet companies who are supplied use the full 100MWH, then every company supplied will claim their electricity is 100% renewable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I thought the schools were back?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Where is the 100% renewable energy being advertised?

NaFirinne wrote: »

On the radio.

• Advertisement

I thought the schools were back?

You thought correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Can see the OP's point. I don't get the issue people have with it.

As far as I know, they put money only towards the renewable energy sources involved in the mix for electricity production. Still misleading though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's like when Dick Roche claimed in 2006 that we wouldn't import any nuclear-generated electricity from the inter-connectors back in 2006.

He was a right fcuking idiot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,944 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

NaFirinne wrote: »

It's all here.

https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/about-us/fuel-sources/

They only generate/buy renewal energy. They can only supply what they buy/generate. So what they supply is 100% renewable.

This doesn't mean that every electron that oscillates in the wires of your home once came from a renewable energy source. Electricity isn't like water. You can't trace the origin of a bit of it back through the grid to source.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

But the company is misleading customers, who don’t know how the network works, into thinking they are getting 100% renewable electricity out of their network meter.

I think you're missing the point.

If you buy your electricity off energia say - they don't especially filter out only the energia electricity for you. It's not like they can store it in a big tank and run it to your house down your own dedicated electricity hose!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you buy your electricity off energia say - they don't especially filter out only the energia electricity for you. It's not like they can store it in a big tank and run it to your house down your own dedicated electricity hose!

Aaaawwwwhhhhh, I was kinda liking the idea of an energy hose,
    Is the op an sse airtricity customer..?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

That's kinda my point! They are saying 100% renewable. That's impossible to have for the consumer unless they are off grid or the providers supply their own transmission and distribution network to supply that house.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Aaaawwwwhhhhh, I was kinda liking the idea of an energy hose,
    Is the op an sse airtricity customer..?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Electricity can never be 100% renewable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Blanc von lobster

Still not renewable.

No. But it is recycling.

Advertisement