Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

10 year old Diesel car lack /high cost of Insurance / low resell value to Petrol & E

Options
  • 31-08-2019 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Anyone affected by this yet?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Going on the 2008 diesel boom, loads of people I'd imagine. There's not going to be any schemes to assist other than *maybe* a scrappage one specifically for electrics. And that's only if brexit doesn't cost the state loads, and they are stuck for domestic carbon emissions changes

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

10 year old cars were worth feck all in this country before diesels went in and out of fashion. Look at the price of a car on the continent and then find an Irish, or UK, car and see how much less its worth here vs the continent.

Its our age related plates which cause the low value, we have plenty of older cars insured no bother in my family.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Older cars should be cheaper than newer cars. It drops off a cliff becuase of "expensive" tax. Insurance for me hasn't been an issue with the age profile of any cars I've had over the last 2 years. 1 of which was about 14 years old too...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »
    10 year old cars were worth feck all in this country before diesels went in and out of fashion. Look at the price of a car on the continent and then find an Irish, or UK, car and see how much less its worth here vs the continent.

Its our age related plates which cause the low value, we have plenty of older cars insured no bother in my family.

It's the tax and now getting the insurance that's the issue.

The cars themselves are fine, and would happily work up to 20yrs+.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

galwaytt wrote: »
    It's the tax and now getting the insurance that's the issue..

No, i would suggest its the inefficient use of fossil fuels and pollution that is the problem. the tax is used as a carrot and stick approach to wean you off your vehicular "cigarettes".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No, i would suggest its the inefficient use of fossil fuels and pollution that is the problem. the tax is used as a carrot and stick approach to wean you off your vehicular "cigarettes".

Bull. That's the current "trendy" reason, but the real reason is our motor "industry" wanting to constantly shift new(er) cars, and an insurance sector with no effective oversight.

There's no reason a 10/12+ year old car shouldn't be able to be run cost-effectively so long as the taxes are and paid and NCT is valid. It's certainly better for de bunnies and tress than scrapping and replacing them unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Bull. That's the current "trendy" reason,

Tell that to the residents of the bahamas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Bull. That's the current "trendy" reason, but the real reason is our motor "industry" wanting to constantly shift new(er) cars, and an insurance sector with no effective oversight.
    and the irish motorist wanting to constantly buy newer cars too, surely? i think i read this week that the value of car loans issued in the last year was the highest ever. of *course* the motor industry wants to constantly shift new cars, it's the main reason for their existence.

also, with insurance (and i'm not defending the insurance industry here), a significant cost of your premium is irrelevant to the value of your own car; it's insuring you against damage to other motorists and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is scrapping a viable vehicle and replacing it with another slightly less polluting vehicle a good use of resources though? Just because it's fuel is going out of fashion it doesn't mean that the vehicle to replace it will make the world better, if it doesn't last twice as long as the vehicle it's replacing how is it improving the environment?

Advertisement