Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Villamoura Area

Options
  • 04-09-2019 5:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Heading there soon for 10 days on a non golfing holiday but would love to sneak a round or two in. Hard to judge from all the reviews which is actually the best value. Anybody have experience and/or recommendations they could pass on in relation to to where is best? 9 handicapper and will have to hire clubs. Will have a car over there too.

Also noticed from a previous post on here that the Algarve Golf Society is playing when I am over there, that is a solution too perhaps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I was there a few years back. played three courses and enjoyed them all. Victoria, Pinhal and Laguna.

Pinhal is very good value and I really enjoyed it. Victoria is a fantastic course but the most expensive. Laguna is the cheapest, but I would play Pinhal ahead of that. If I was just playing one round I would go for Victoria, worth the money and with a 9 handicap you should enjoy it. just never layup and always go for the big carry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

I’d recommend Quinta Do Lago South over any course in Vilamoura myself. Only 20 mins out the road.

Not cheap but same price range as Old or Victoria.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

tbayers wrote: »
    Heading there soon for 10 days on a non golfing holiday but would love to sneak a round or two in. Hard to judge from all the reviews which is actually the best value. Anybody have experience and/or recommendations they could pass on in relation to to where is best? 9 handicapper and will have to hire clubs. Will have a car over there too.

Also noticed from a previous post on here that the Algarve Golf Society is playing when I am over there, that is a solution too perhaps.

https://www.algarve-golfsociety.com/

I’m a member of Chez Carlos society. Played Quinta South last week with some of the regulars and a lad from Dublin who joined us on the day. You’ll get a well organised round with a sweep at a better price than going through the courses themselves. Check out the fixtures on the link above.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Thanks everyone. As relatively new to sport I have never played abroad. So next question is, has a good round been ruined by not having your clubs with you?

Tempted to bring my own if I can squeeze 2/3 rounds in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

tbayers wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. As relatively new to sport I have never played abroad. So next question is, has a good round been ruined by not having your clubs with you?

Tempted to bring my own if I can squeeze 2/3 rounds in

I brought my own clubs with me as it worked out the same price to bring my own as to hire. and you can squeeze some extra luggage into the golf travel case.

if playing one round I would hire, playing 3 rounds I would bring my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

thewobbler wrote: »
    I’d recommend Quinta Do Lago South over any course in Vilamoura myself. Only 20 mins out the road.

Not cheap but same price range as Old or Victoria.

+1 Quinta is lovely. Have been playing it for a few years.

Golf is expensive in general down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

If it’s value your looking for then don’t expect to find much down there . Compared to Ireland golf here is expensive . A lot of the courses lack the quality of what you’ll find In reland . Some decent tracks but you won’t be blown away

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Walter Sobchak III

Vale do Lobo. 15 minute drive from Vilamoura. 2 courses. The Royal and The Ocean. Both good courses. Not cheap.

Advertisement